IP camera recorder software

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to exchange my old NVR device for a software-based video recorder.

A solution requiring development is unexcluded, what's more, I would rather create a camera recorder on my own from code. I prefer C#.

Formerly I used AForge's ODM for displaying the camera image, but it uses a former version of MS .NET Framework. I would rather use 4.0.

Now I am testing Ozeki's Camera SDK that provides C# code examples to record audio and video stream into .MPEG-4.

It works fine. But regarding that my trial version will expire soon, I am wondering whether there is any other software-based solution.

So please let me know, if you are aware of any alternative to this library. Sharing your experiences related to the mentioned library - if any - would be also appreciated.

Thanks for any contribution.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You are in for a really difficult task if you want to build your own recorder that is capable of more than jpeg and mjpeg video, particularly choosing to do it in C# where most of the open source libraries to work with h264 and rtsp are going to need a wrapper. You'd almost certainly be better off with commercial surveillance software. Blue Iris for example is a great value at $60 for up to 64 cameras and free support talking directly to the developer via email (it is a one man job). It does have high CPU requirements, but other, more efficient software is typically $50-$100 per camera!

If you decide you want to try building your own camera recorder, here are two libraries that could come in very handy.

This is the best way I've found for decoding h.264 video in C#. It is a little bit buggy and not updated since 2003: nVLC - CodeProject

This project has amazing potential for dealing with video streams, and is very actively developed: https://net7mma.codeplex.com/

Lastly, you may also find it worthwhile to look at ispyconnect, which is the only commercial surveillance software I know of that is written in C# and it happens to be largely open source: Download iSpy Sourcecode