IP Cameras comparable Axis

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly!

If you do run new cable, use Cat6. Bigger is better especially for power, though my own system works fine with Cat5e

I cant seem to find a great video, but it's really very simple. This clip is ok.

There are a bunch of ways to do it with a variety of cables and baluns. I use these passive baluns:
Amazon.com : VIMVIP 6 PAIRS (12 Pcs) Mini CCTV BNC Video Balun Transceiver Cable : Camera & Photo
1 twisted pair connected to the video balun

and some of these:
Amazon.com : 10Pair DC Power Connector JACKYLED 10 x Male + 10 x Female 2.1x5.5mm Jack Adapter Plug For CCTV Camera LED Strips : Camera & Photo
I use 2 twisted pairs for the power, leaving me one pair left over for other use such as powering an external illuminator at the camera location.

So at the camera, strip the cat5 use one pair for the video balun. Use two of the other pairs to connect the power using the 2.1x5.5 adpater
At the DVR, same thing. Make sure and use the same wires on each end in the same configuration.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is pretty cool. I could run two cables if necessary. I have a 1,000 ft box.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey @bigredfish I received the HDW2401R-Z 4MP WDR Turret from Andy. I paid for it Monday night and received it Thursday afternoon. The price and the shipping was great. I emailed cctv-mall toady. I asked when my XVR7208A and HFW3231E-Z Starlight Bullet will ship. Twenty-five days would make it one week from today (Thursday).

If Andy has the cameras in stock. I will definitely order them from him. There is only one possible problem. The HDW2401R-Z he shipped is for PAL. I did some searching but couldn't find anything. I searched for pal and ntsc in the manual for my dvr. Nice that Dahua had it on their website. Unless I am making assumptions. I don't think it will matter. It appears that the dvr will support PAL or NTSC. There doesn't seem to be an NTSC version or PAL version. That I can see. The output of the dvr doesn't say anything about it. The only mention I found was for input. It said it would take PAL or NTSC. I will look more into it after work friday.

I am going to ask Andy if he can get in some HDW2231R-Z Starlight Turret and HFW2231R-Z Starlight Bullet cameras. I will tell him he will have a couple buyers for them.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Great news. Congrats.

Yeah, on IP cams the PAL/NTSC thing really doesnt matter- just a difference in max frame rate..

By all means if Andy can get stock I'll gladly buy from him. I have had good results from cctv-mall 3 purchases, but knew going in it would be a 3+ week thing. They do not actually "Stock", they seem to order from Dahua when order is placed.

Definitely wanting a HDW2231R-Z Turret to paly with...

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got an email from cctv-mall. They said it would be sometime toward the end of June. It is 25 working days. :( I am kinda bummed because when I ordered it said in stock. In stock items ship faster. Apparently as you said. They don't keep any stock and everything needs to be ordered.

I am just concerned now. I couldn't anything current. Only two searches returned anything helpful. They were several years old. I don't know when the tri-brid nvrs came out. It is possible these posts were before them. In any case. One said in another forum dated 2013. It depends on what the dvr/nvr uses. If it is a NTSC you need NTSC cameras and vice versa. Another post this time from a vendor of CCTV equipment. They said the dvr/nvr can use either but it has to be all the same type. It is confusing because the only mention is on camera input. There is no mention of dvr/nvr video output. :confused:

I guess this means one of two things. I have a $95 camera that is a paper weight. I have a $130 camera and $160 nvr that will be a paper weight. I will not know for another 2 freaking weeks. :banghead:

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh and Andy replied. He said he would need to check to see if they are available. He would need to order them if available.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you;ll be fine on both. The IP camera being PAL will work fine, just limited to 25fps. All of the CVI cams you buy should be NTSC. The DVR probably doesn't care as you mentioned.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh and Andy replied. He said he would need to check to see if they are available. He would need to order them if available.
Cool. I'm looking at getting one of the 2231 starlight turrets and one 4MP IP cam to toy with,,,haven't decided what model yet..

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you;ll be fine on both. The IP camera being PAL will work fine, just limited to 25fps. All of the CVI cams you buy should be NTSC. The DVR probably doesn't care as you mentioned.
The camera I received is a PAL CVI camera. I didn't get the IP camera. Because Andy wrote me back. He did have one CVI camera. It was $80 less. So I bought it. I wanted to see how fast I could get it through him anyway.

I wasn't thinking about PAL/NTSC. When I ordered my nvr and camera from cctv-mall. I didn't have a choice between the two formats. I didn't realize that I didn't until I received the camera from Andy. I looked at the listings again on cctv-mall. There is no mention of PAL or NTSC. I am hoping that the stuff from cctv-mall is NTSC. A $95 loss is better than $400.

The specs on Dahua's website for the nvr had no mention of it. The only specs for the camera (of which I missed) only mentioned the frame rate difference.

When I get home Friday. I am going to connect the new camera to my existing DVR. There is a standard def composite connector on the camera. I will see what happens.
I will know more once my cctv-mall order arrives.

I guess worse case. I should have at least one usable new camera. I can just order IP cameras so I don't have to be concerned about it. I just didn't want to pay the added cost for them.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The DVR will give you both choices, but it is a system setting.

I just double checked and all of the newer CVI cams I have give me a choice in the menu to format as NTSC or PAL so I really think you'll be fine. Just try and stay with one format or the other on all cams,

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The DVR will give you both choices, but it is a system setting.

I just double checked and all of the newer CVI cams I have give me a choice in the menu to format as NTSC or PAL so I really think you'll be fine. Just try and stay with one format or the other on all cams,
Ok, that is good to know. I hope that is all it is. Is that the same place you adjust the settings for each camera? I saw a youtube video on how you use the OSD for each camera. It is accessed from the PTZ menu. At least on the DVR's they had in the video.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cool. I'm looking at getting one of the 2231 starlight turrets and one 4MP IP cam to toy with,,,haven't decided what model yet..
Once I get my DVR and other camera. I will confirm that everything works. Then I will ask Andy to get one 2231 starlight turret and one starlight bullet. I might get one more but not sure which type.
Let me know which models you want. I will add it to my list when I ask him.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, that is good to know. I hope that is all it is. Is that the same place you adjust the settings for each camera? I saw a youtube video on how you use the OSD for each camera. It is accessed from the PTZ menu. At least on the DVR's they had in the video.
yep exactly, from the OSD menu. So if you can get that one cam switched to NTSC and all the others are NTSC you'll be fine.

I'll definitely take two of the 2231 Starlight turrets

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is why I want to wait till I get my DVR and other camera. If I know I can switch the camera. I will not have to be concerned if I get sent another PAL camera.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wrote to Andy. I asked him how long it would take to get the pro cameras in his stock. I am hoping by the time my cctv-mall order comes in. He can have them in his stock.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
He said it would be 2 to 3 weeks. I will let you know when he has them.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just received an email saying my cctv-mall order is being shipped today (June 17th). It said 3 to 5 days. Considering how much I paid for shipping. It should be a lot quicker than that. Oh well. At least it is finally on its way.

I forgot to mention that the HAC-HDW2231R-Z CVI Starlight Turrets are $85. Andy will let me know when he receives them.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I just received an email saying my cctv-mall order is being shipped today (June 17th). It said 3 to 5 days. Considering how much I paid for shipping. It should be a lot quicker than that. Oh well. At least it is finally on its way.

I forgot to mention that the HAC-HDW2231R-Z CVI Starlight Turrets are $85. Andy will let me know when he receives them.

How did you ship? DHL? typically 48 hours..

Great news on the HAC-HDW2231R-Z CVI Starlight Turrets ! At $85 exactly 1/2 the price of the IP version.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It says Air Shipping. The tracking number is DHL. I know when I received the camera from Andy. It was here in about 2 days. Paid him monday night (which is their tuesday morning). I received the camera wednesday afternoon. So I will see how fast this one arrives from cctv-mall.