IP Cameras comparable Axis

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a quick clip of the Dahua HAC-HFW3231E-Z 2MP Starlight HDCVI transitioning from B&W IR to color mode and back. Distance to street is 30'

If you go to full screen you'll see it easily reads the plate. Also the Day/Night setting is set to 5 seconds so there is a delay in switching to color.

(Dont for get to change youtube setting to 1080p)

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is pretty cool. Is that set to automatic? I read that depending on how you set it up. It can change to color if enough light is available.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, set to Auto

Lens is pretty filthy from this weeks wind and storms thus the streaking.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I finally received the HFW3231E-Z and my XVR7208A on Thursday (6/22). According to the tracking. It sat in Hong Kong for 3 days. DHL doesn't know why. Once they were in possession. It only took 2 days to arrive. Not happy about that considering I paid $95 for shipping. 5 days is a bit much for that price.
For some reason. My 3231 camera does not have a female plug for power. Instead they have a wiring block. I have to wait till I get the balun and other misc stuff. So I can at least power it on to make sure it works. There is nothing on the camera or packaging that notes that it is NTSC or PAL. That concerns me quite a bit. I don't need a $137 paper weight on top of my $85 paper weight I already have.

The HDW2401R-Z PAL camera I received from Andy is pretty much useless to me. Unless I want to use it in CVBS. I can't access the OSD of the camera in CVBS. I have tried setting the DVR to PAL and NTSC. All I get is color bars followed by a grey screen with occasional diagonally rolling video image. I tried several different protocols in the PTZ menu. When I switch the cable between CVBS and HDCVI. The dvr recognizes that I changed with a dialog box on the screen. When I use HDCVI. I get a grey screen with "loading..." followed by color bars. Then it is a grey screen with the diagonally rolling image. I can't even tell if the OSD is even working. I tried connecting the DVR with HDMI and VGA.

I don't know what to do now. I want the HDCVI cameras but after getting burned once and possibly twice. I am very wary about it now. Since I already have the dvr which works. I guess I will spend more and get IP cameras. Already wasted $180 what is another $200 to $400 more. :angry::(:banghead::mad: At least when Andy has cameras in stock. I know I will get them in a couple days. I will have to think about it. This upgrade project is turning into a disaster.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I should have just bought another LTS system like my current one.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Whoa, slow down and take a breath ;)

_ Don't know what to tell you about the 3 shipping days lost, but as I mentioned DHL usually delivers in 48 hours, and I advised to expect 3 full weeks from cctv-mall.

_ My 3231 had a wiring block for power also, no big deal. If you ordered NTSC it likely is. It's likely fine. Leave the DVR set to NTSC and connect it with the baluns and separate power. Dont jack with the format of the DVR or the 3231, just make sure the DVR is running, plug it in, and the DVR will see it and recognize it.

_How are you connecting the video for the HDW2401R-Z to the DVR? the Power? Perhaps there is a problem with the connections..?

_I thought you were just out $85 for ordering the wrong PAL camera? If you can get it to fire up and access the OSD you should be able to change it to NTSC but I cant be certain.

Nothing wrong with HDCVI, many folks including Pro installer members here use it. I've installed 4 systems in the past 2 years all bought from cctv-mall and helping a buddy with a 5th. Actually MUCH simpler than IP.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Whoa, slow down and take a breath ;)

_ Don't know what to tell you about the 3 shipping days lost, but as I mentioned DHL usually delivers in 48 hours, and I advised to expect 3 full weeks from cctv-mall.

_ My 3231 had a wiring block for power also, no big deal. If you ordered NTSC it likely is. It's likely fine. Leave the DVR set to NTSC and connect it with the baluns and separate power. Dont jack with the format of the DVR or the 3231, just make sure the DVR is running, plug it in, and the DVR will see it and recognize it.

_How are you connecting the video for the HDW2401R-Z to the DVR? the Power? Perhaps there is a problem with the connections..?

_I thought you were just out $85 for ordering the wrong PAL camera? If you can get it to fire up and access the OSD you should be able to change it to NTSC but I cant be certain.

Nothing wrong with HDCVI, many folks including Pro installer members here use it. I've installed 4 systems in the past 2 years all bought from cctv-mall and helping a buddy with a 5th. Actually MUCH simpler than IP.

I knew about the 3 weeks. What I was complaining about was the 3 lost days for shipping. I don't want to wait another 3 weeks. This summer project is going to turn into a fall and winter project. In Ohio we have two seasons. Hot and cold. The hot doesn't last nearly as long as the cold.

I know the wiring block is no big deal. I have used wiring blocks before for other things. It was just irritating. The camera was more expensive compared to my other one. I would have thought the more expensive model would have a female power plug.

My current cameras have 800 ma adapters except for one. I had to replace a camera a couple years ago. It needed 1 amp. So I bought an adapter just for it. I used it to test the 2401R-Z. Even though the specs per the Dahua website for the camera is 700ma (8.4 w at 12v). I could have used one of the 800 ma adapters.

This was setup on my computer desk. I was testing everything. I wasn't installing anything today. I was using RCA cables with bnc adapters. They came with my LTS dvr. The analog connection worked fine. If only Dahua would let me access the OSD using the CVBS. I would be able to try to switch it to NTSC.

If I can't get this switched to NTSC. I will be out the $85. I didn't miss order it. I asked Andy for a NTSC and I got a PAL.

I took the housing off of the 2401R-Z. I wanted to see if it had an access panel like there is on the 3231. The 3231 has OSD controls under a access panel. Apparently the 2401R-Z doesn't have one. I wasted more time than I am willing to admit. Trying to get the housing back on. It wouldn't fit flush. It finally went back together.

I am busy tonight with some friends. I will look at this tomorrow.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ha!
Yep have had plenty of those days :mad:

And agree I'll definitely order from Andy, .... when he gets some in stock.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried connecting the DVR to your home network so that you can login from your desktop and use the web service? Its much friendlier than the interface of the DVR itself.. See attached pic. Click on the PTZ menu and hit the center button and you should get the OSD

Attachments

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No success with using the web service either. Here are the screen shots. When I have it set to automatically detect the cameras. I get no video at all using CVI. When I manually set channel one to CVI. All I get is the rolling grey screen. Oddly when I do set it manually to CVI. I can see the time and date, etc overlay on the grey rolling screen. When I have it set to automatically detect the cameras. I never see the channel, time and date overlay. When I have the camera setup using CVBS. I can have it set to automatic or manually detect. Either way it will show the channel, time and date overlay.
I guess Dahua updated their protocols in the past 3 years. Every video I can find tells me to use DH-SD1 for the PTZ protocol. When the DVR automatically detects the camera using the CVI connection. It automatically selects HDCVI (instead of serial) and uses HDCVI3.0 I have also tried HDCCTV2.0 and DH-SD1. None of them work. I don't even have the option when the camera is connected via CVBS.
I guess I am stuck with an analog paperweight.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The menu for accessing OSD isnt intuitive. My DVR is 3 years old but I believe works the same.

-See the arrow below the "Iris" controls? Click it and it will expand down giving you 2 tabs. (see my screenshot)
-Choose the PTZ Menu tab, then click the big middle button- your OSD should popup

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found the menu. I clicked on every button. Nothing happened. Though it is hard to tell. I am looking at a black/grey screen with occasional grey rolling image. I tried using the web interface and directly on the dvr.

My baluns should be here Tuesday by 8pm. Then I will be able to connect my HFW3231E-Z. I hoping I will have success with it.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been busy with work and other stuff. I was able to sit down and test the 3231E-Z camera. It works fine. I was able to enter the OSD and navigate around in it. I set the channel I had it plugged into to motion detection. It noticed the movement. Now I need to setup the dvr for where it will be. Then run the cables to the cameras. I will then need to figure out the masking for the motion detection.

I've given up on the other camera. It is and will forever sit in the box it came in.

If you use Android. What app do you use? I had been using IP Cam Viewer with my current dvr. I tried setting it up for the new dvr. It wouldn't work. I actually locked myself out of the dvr a couple times.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've done some searching and found this place that sells Dahua cameras. Looks like some of them are older models. The specs look like they should be decent.

Dahua OEM HAC-HDW1200E HD-CVI Dome Camera"HCVR5116H-S2
Dahua OEM DH-HAC-HFW2220R-Z HD-CVI Bullet Security Camera
Dahua DH-HAC-HFW32A1EN-Z IR Vari-focal Starlight HDCVI Bullet Camera

What do you think about those?

I haven't heard from Andy. It has been about 3 weeks. So I don't know about Pro series cameras from him. Considering the money I lost. I might be just as well to buy the cameras from this company.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an iPhone so I use iDMSS but they also have an Android version
iDMSS & gDMSS | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

Glad to hear the 3231 works. Mine are great.

Those cameras are quite overpriced due to being a US distributor no doubt.

I have a couple of the older 2220 bullets and they work pretty good. Nothing like the Starlights, but not bad. With supplemental IR they do very well. I bought mine on Amazon for like $97.
Amazon.com: HAC-HFW2220R-Z: Electronics
2.4MP HD-CVI Motorized Lens 2.7-12mm Bullet Security Camera VF 1080P Digital | eBay

The 32A1EN-Z is the same camera as the 3231 only US version and $50 more.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They may seem be over priced. However, if you add in the shipping cost and time from cctv-mall they are not that much more expensive.

Cctv-mall $187.49 ($137 3231E-Z camera, $50.49 shipping then wait 25 days) vs A1 Security Cameras $174.00 ($174.00 32A1EN-Z camera, $0 shipping then wait 3 to 4 days).

I searched for the 32A1EN-Z. Amazon, Newegg and BH have from the $210 to $220 all with free shipping. They range from 3 to 10 days shipping.

The only one that I found is cheaper and faster is Andy. Then you have to roll the dice to see if it is PAL or NTSC.

Last edited:

cdltech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FYI. I saw that cctv-mall has the HAC-HFW2231R-Z-IRE6 Starlight Bullet for $118. The shipping for my zip code is $34.15.