IPC-HDBW4231F alternative

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the front door, we have a south facing porch so the 4231 doesn't work. Any recommended alternatives?

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I read around here - it says it should not be in the sun and under shade
Hi @Alan Carter

Yes, the plastic dome and rubber barrier around the lens will degrade over time when it is exposed to direct UV and heat.

This will create issues with internal IR reflection when the rubber ( foam in other dome models - this model has a rubber seal / barrier ) degrades and leaks the IR bouncing off the internal side of the dome into the lens. The way to counter this is to keep the camera in color mode - which is fine if you have enough ambient light ( porch light on 24x7 )

The plastic dome itself will eventually get "foggy" - depending on the UV and heat exposure this may take some time before you see that effect.

Alternatives - I know of no alternatives that I like at eye level by my front door.

Thus, I would probably still mount this on a front door which is south facing knowing that it will degrade and that I will have to replace it sooner than on a north facing or shaded door.

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @Alan Carter

Yes, the plastic dome and rubber barrier around the lens will degrade over time when it is exposed to direct UV and heat.

This will create issues with internal IR reflection when the rubber ( foam in other dome models - this model has a rubber seal / barrier ) degrades and leaks the IR bouncing off the internal side of the dome into the lens. The way to counter this is to keep the camera in color mode - which is fine if you have enough ambient light ( porch light on 24x7 )

The plastic dome itself will eventually get "foggy" - depending on the UV and heat exposure this may take some time before you see that effect.

Alternatives - I know of no alternatives that I like at eye level by my front door.

Thus, I would probably still mount this on a front door which is south facing knowing that it will degrade and that I will have to replace it sooner than on a north facing or shaded door.
@mat200

Is this a fixed lens, and what type would you recommend?

I'd run the wire up the wall to the soffit and then into attic - then route to office.

Thanks again

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200

Is this a fixed lens, and what type would you recommend?

I'd run the wire up the wall to the soffit and then into attic - then route to office.

Thanks again
Hi Alan...

I have a 2.8mm lens as it is right in front of anyone standing at the door.

Remember to add another camera ( or get the dual lens version ) to cover the package drop area.

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Alan...

I have a 2.8mm lens as it is right in front of anyone standing at the door.

Remember to add another camera ( or get the dual lens version ) to cover the package drop area.
The dual lens version would like pretty ugly I think - wont have permission for that one. so might need another cam on the further corner...

@mat200 - the whole set up is becoming really pricey (from my perspective) - are there any cheaper cams we can get that still have reasonable quality. I'm thinking I get 2-3 good quality turrets that get minimal coverage OR I could get 5-6 cameras. Did you go through this process? Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The dual lens version would like pretty ugly I think - wont have permission for that one. so might need another cam on the further corner...

@mat200 - the whole set up is becoming really pricey (from my perspective) - are there any cheaper cams we can get that still have reasonable quality. I'm thinking I get 2-3 good quality turrets that get minimal coverage OR I could get 5-6 cameras. Did you go through this process? Thanks
Hi Alan,...

Quality cameras do add up,... sometimes ( typically around BF-cyberweek ) there are deals to be found on non-starlight models in the USA for views which you do not need better cameras.

For example, maybe just put the top quality cameras watching over the front of the house? Perhaps you can get away with a cheaper model to watch the package drop off area?

You'll need to determine where and how you compromise on your setup. Perhaps just cabling all locations now and adding more cameras later?

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Alan,...

Quality cameras do add up,... sometimes ( typically around BF-cyberweek ) there are deals to be found on non-starlight models in the USA for views which you do not need better cameras.

For example, maybe just put the top quality cameras watching over the front of the house? Perhaps you can get away with a cheaper model to watch the package drop off area?

You'll need to determine where and how you compromise on your setup. Perhaps just cabling all locations now and adding more cameras later?
Thanks Mat - God send :)

If I cable now and add cams later, what do I do with the wires - maybe put a box over the top until I use them? Planning to start the wiring process in a few days. We're going to pull the wires into the attic, down to a closet or basement, and then up again to the office.

OR route all wires to the office and have all my equipment there - switches etc This might be easier but it'd be a noisy office

OR set up router in a separate location and move all equipment there -then I can leave the office as more of a working place and less of a tech room

Thoughts?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Alan,

Each house is different, so you'll have to decide what works best for your home.

For me I like to have a easy way to access the cables - so external junction boxes and wall mounts are what I like. For locations which are not yet going to have a camera I can leave excess cable in the soffit or in the wall cavity, or in a 2 gang box in the wall.. numerous options, again a lot depends on the house.