IPC-HDW5231R-Z Grey screen on recordings

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I Just noticed on mine that was black this morning. If I reset the camera and my playback is fixed for awhile.. If I view A black screen playback. When I scroll forward to a new viewable part of the clip.. and then scroll backwards I can see the part that was black before.. Anyone else?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I Just noticed on mine that was black this morning. If I reset the camera and my playback is fixed for awhile.. If I view A black screen playback. When I scroll forward to a new viewable part of the clip.. and then scroll backwards I can see the part that was black before.. Anyone else?
I'll have to test this later today. If that's the case it sounds like some type of playback error. Weird that the export comes out black.

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's what I am thinking since my clip file sizes are pretty consistent. The data is there just not viewable. Seems i'm getting several blotches of grey during a playback and then it creates a new clip that plays back black.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried this now and no matter what I do the parts that were black stay black and the parts that were grey stay grey.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you fail to reproduce it, I'd be happy to offer assistance. Mine was constant. Took about 1 hour to 3 hours for it to break and no display. Im happy to go up down versions, work been a bit crazy so haven't had time to email Ken just yet.

Sounds like progress :)
Any chance you will be able to email Ken? I think the more people that email him the better. Haven't heard from him in a bit.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reading through this it is indeed the exact same problem I am having in my BI recordings black screen post.
Also only affecting my 3 Dahua ipc-hdw5231r-z cameras set to H.265. My other cameras of different brand on H.264 are not affected.
The first one was affected 9/28, then the other two a day or so later started doing the same thing.
If I reboot the cameras through BI they begin to record clips properly but only for a couple of clips before going back to gray then black.
I too emailed support through the BI app.
My personal product support ran out just over a month ago. My response from them was not quite as customer friendly.
The reply was simply, "Please take the time to get back onto support and maintenance ... use the Upgrade/Renew button from the Options page."
Now I agree the application itself is great and a fair price and I don't mind paying for additional support of an issue I directly caused if necessary and I certainly don't expect anyone to just sit around answering my general product questions or resolving self inflicted issues all day for free. However, seeing as the issue occurred after an application update when I had made no changes, I do not see how it is applicable to my personally paying for further individual support. So I was a bit disappointed in that response.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Reading through this it is indeed the exact same problem I am having in my BI recordings black screen post.
Also only affecting my 3 Dahua ipc-hdw5231r-z cameras set to H.265. My other cameras of different brand on H.264 are not affected.
The first one was affected 9/28, then the other two a day or so later started doing the same thing.
If I reboot the cameras through BI they begin to record clips properly but only for a couple of clips before going back to gray then black.
I too emailed support through the BI app.
My personal product support ran out just over a month ago. My response from them was not quite as customer friendly.
The reply was simply, "Please take the time to get back onto support and maintenance ... use the Upgrade/Renew button from the Options page."
Now I agree the application itself is great and a fair price and I don't mind paying for additional support of an issue I directly caused if necessary and I certainly don't expect anyone to just sit around answering my general product questions or resolving self inflicted issues all day for free. However, seeing as the issue occurred after an application update when I had made no changes, I do not see how it is applicable to my personally paying for further individual support. So I was a bit disappointed in that response.
That is how support works with all software...its not limited to blue iris...30 dollars for a year is a drop in the bucket what the others charge...and that is after they charge you 50-150 in licensing PER camera...also note that for the 30 dollars you get a higher level of email support + free major revision if its released in that year....its all relative..you cant expect a guy to work for free...you can revert back to an earlier version of blue iris and not get the benefit of the monthly updates (which he is providing free even after your basic service plan runs out, despite not having to)....

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I get that. Already noted I don't expect something for free...I get that this is a small almost 1 man shop application but I also don't expect a product update to break something then be asked to pay more to look into that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I get that. Already noted I don't expect something for free...I get that this is a small almost 1 man shop application but I also don't expect a product update to break something then be asked to pay more to look into that.
Like i said, EVERY software package charges for support even if the issue is their fault. So why should blue iris be any different. Try this, call intuit and tell them you are having an installation problem with quick books. A one time support fee of 60 dollars will be charged..annual support is 300......cause of the problem is irrelevant-even if its their fault.
There is a solution to your problem...revert back to an older version of blue iris...as noted earlier you should not be receiving any incremental updates free of charge...he does this out of goodwill.....he does not have to provide free support on top of that...its really that simple and basic...
Why should he be different than everyone else.

Last edited:

i286

n3wb
Reaction score
Like i said, EVERY software package charges for support even if the issue is their fault. So why should blue iris be any different. Try this, call intuit and tell them you are having an installation problem with quick books. A one time support fee of 60 dollars will be charged..annual support is 300......cause of the problem is irrelevant-even if its their fault.
There is a solution to your problem...revert back to an older version of blue iris...as noted earlier you should not be receiving any incremental updates free of charge...he does this out of goodwill.....he does not have to provide free support on top of that...its really that simple and basic...
Why should he be different than everyone else.
Here is my point of view, I think we dont need to have any special requirements for this type of support, we all purchased it, and its not an individual persons problem, clearly multiple people are having what appears to be the exact same issue at the same time.

I am a paying for support currently as I recently got my subscription etc, but this should be treated just as a general fault/problem with product.

We all know Kens one man work shop and I believe we all appreciate that. I'm not laying blame, thats rediculous, but I think we all would like to have some support for a multiple person issue after recent updates.
You can't compare a large company and a one man shop for support. The one man shop usually works really hard to get people to use their product and to retain the customers and build loyalty.
Just shrugging people off is not a good business move... may work for the bigger businesses as there is always someone else to take their place generally.

Take for example FlexRaid, I know me and few people personally switched over to other products recently, like SnapRaid. I like the product but the support is rubbish and recently I disagree with their license terms, you move on. Have a quick google to see how its going.
On a side rant increasing the price of the product does not work well usually. I cant remember the last time I have seen anyone with a Google phone since Nexus 5, so while appreciate Ken has to put food on the table and make a living etc its a fine balance between a fair price and overcharge and less people using as a result. He probably could increase the price a bit for the initial purchase and no one would question it. I assume not everyone contacts him for support and can resolve some issues themselves.

So its a tricky situation whichever way you want to put it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is my point of view, I think we dont need to have any special requirements for this type of support, we all purchased it, and its not an individual persons problem, clearly multiple people are having what appears to be the exact same issue at the same time.

I am a paying for support currently as I recently got my subscription etc, but this should be treated just as a general fault/problem with product.

We all know Kens one man work shop and I believe we all appreciate that. I'm not laying blame, thats rediculous, but I think we all would like to have some support for a multiple person issue after recent updates.
You can't compare a large company and a one man shop for support. The one man shop usually works really hard to get people to use their product and to retain the customers and build loyalty.
Just shrugging people off is not a good business move... may work for the bigger businesses as there is always someone else to take their place generally.

Take for example FlexRaid, I know me and few people personally switched over to other products recently, like SnapRaid. I like the product but the support is rubbish and recently I disagree with their license terms, you move on. Have a quick google to see how its going.
On a side rant increasing the price of the product does not work well usually. I cant remember the last time I have seen anyone with a Google phone since Nexus 5, so while appreciate Ken has to put food on the table and make a living etc its a fine balance between a fair price and overcharge and less people using as a result. He probably could increase the price a bit for the initial purchase and no one would question it. I assume not everyone contacts him for support and can resolve some issues themselves.

So its a tricky situation whichever way you want to put it.
He will shrug you off automatically if you dont have support and will deal with those who do..it takes time to find the problem and he likely needs access to the specific camera causing the issue.
If he wants to avoid cheap users hassling him, what he should do is stop providing free incremental updates as he indicated he would and as is noted on the support page. That way folks getting something they dont deserve for free cant bitch about not getting a response. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.
He does not need your loyalty...he has you by the balls on price...you are not going anywhere because you wont spend more than you have to....let me know when you find a replacement product...
FYI, the nexus 5x is a great phone...I paid 280 for mine...if you want a secure phone with latest security patches and ability to have immediate OS updates, nexus/pixel is the only way to go...though the new ones are insanely overpriced...

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A lot of major software producers provide free intermediate or even full software upgrades. It is not necessarily a kindness, it is often the cost of business these days to retain their customers, cross sell other products and attract new customers. This is a small 1 product shop so I get that he cannot do that endlessly and I would not expect it.
If I have an installation or other self created issue, well sure, I should pay for support to get through that. I'd also be happy to pay for major upgrades when they come along with new functionality, but at the same time if any upgrade, free or otherwise, malfunctions in any way due in no part to my actions, well, I don't expect to have to pay support for fixing that...also pretty simple and basic.
I'll apologize to the others here for derailing this post. I know you like to have the last word in all of your responses I've seen on the forum so go ahead and then let's let the post get back on track.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of major software producers provide free intermediate or even full software upgrades. It is not necessarily a kindness, it is often the cost of business these days to retain their customers, cross sell other products and attract new customers. This is a small 1 product shop so I get that he cannot do that endlessly and I would not expect it.
If I have an installation or other self created issue, well sure, I should pay for support to get through that. I'd also be happy to pay for major upgrades when they come along with new functionality, but at the same time if any upgrade, free or otherwise, malfunctions in any way due in no part to my actions, well, I don't expect to have to pay support for fixing that...also pretty simple and basic.
I'll apologize to the others here for derailing this post. I know you like to have the last word in all of your responses I've seen on the forum so go ahead and then let's let the post get back on track.
A lot? Where, when? who? I know of NO other software package (vms or otherwise) that provides monthly updates with new features added...Pray tell about all these software makers who provide free full upgrades...the only vms provider that does that is network optix and rebranders - and that is 70 per camera.
Your passive aggressive comments dont make you any less of an ungrateful cheapo. What he should do, is stop being nice and not offer you any free updates after a year. That would force you to buy support and your el cheapo bitching would end.
Again, you are expecting FREE support for an update you should not even be entitled to. He was nice enough to give you the free updates but you still complain..As I stated and I cannot emphasize it enough...most software packages will not provide support unless you pay for it regardless of the cause.

4.2.8 - January 7, 2016
  • New support and maintenance plans have been developed in an effort to handle the ever-increasing demand and to more effectively balance this with time spent on software development. A software license remains perpetual, and NOT a subscription. However, that license now includes one year of Basic support via email. In order to remain current with support, you may choose to optionally sign up for the Extended support plan via the new link on the Options page. Extended support includes continued access to email support, software updates and all major version upgrades that occur while you are covered. There's also a Priority support option which adds a dedicated inbox together with the possibility for enhanced support via phone or remote desktop as deemed necessary to assist you.

• When requesting support via email, please use the "Email support now" button on the Options page first, then paste this information into your email so that you may be assisted more quickly

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since you asked...let's see...Who provides free upgrades and even full free new versions of their software these days?..Maybe say Microsoft, Apple, any Android App I've ever had, free or paid, from a mega company down to a college kid making it.
And who would not complain about being given a free upgrade if it breaks something else.
As I've already stated, I'm not expecting free "support" of MY issues...and my paid support literally just ended a few weeks ago....I did not even realize it until I got that email reply. I guess I'm just being terribly unrealistic and selfish to expect software upgrades, free or otherwise, not break my existing functionality then be asked to pay support to look into it.
If that's a big ask, yes this probably is the wrong product for me.

You provide a lot of good information on this forum which I believe most here appreciate, but your many rants are mean spirited, unhelpful, distracting from the post topics, (ala this whole back and forth conversation) and occasionally from what I have read, bordering on unhinged. As you are, I believe you stated elsewhere, the owner or one of the owners of this forum, the former is appreciated and also necessary of you to help keep the forum alive and active, but the latter is seriously not doing the forum, Ken or anyone any good.

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The last 2 blue Iris updates broke bunch of my cameras. 1 has gray issue and 2 other have black playback issue. This can not be happening with security systems...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The last 2 blue Iris updates broke bunch of my cameras. 1 has gray issue and 2 other have black playback issue. This can not be happening with security systems...
it happens all the time, across all vms and all software...what YOU need to do is stop updating on immediate release..disable auto update...your problem is a direct result of update disease...keep a backup update file so you can revert back...so basic, common sense...

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Rado,

Have you contacted Ken regarding this? I'm hoping that if several ppl contact him he will prioritize the fix. I emailed him 11 days ago and so far he has said he thinks it may not be a software problem. Obviously it is. Have not got any other replies besides the one I posed already.

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what is the solution?
Dahua camera and NVR skips frames on IVS.
Blue Iris is great but breaks down from software updates.
I should have never got dahua cameras...

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So what is the solution?
Dahua can and NVR skips frames on IVS.
Blue Iris is great but breaks down from softwares.
I should have never got dahua cameras...
Which cameras do you have? Is the issue you are having the same one as I described? Have your read through the thread? If so you will see that enabling h.264 fixes the issue. If your issue is different than start a new thread or email support or both.