IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

Strobe

n3wb
Reaction score
David L what does this mean "bring each twist all the way up into each connector" ?
When you cut the cat5/6/7 cable and untwist it a bit, you want to make sure to untwist as little as possible before punching it down or crimping a connector on. The more unraveled you make the individual wires, the less likely the cable will transmit the rated speeds. A basic cable tester will check if the crimp is complete, but it doesn’t certify the connection speed or quality. Those testers are pricey.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I ended up having Andy send me an invoice and added a PFA130-E bracket to it as well. Cancelled the aliexpress order. Save on tax and get the cashback by using PayPal.

I’m a sys admin and know what you mean by the twists. I used cat6 that I had a spool of from wiring in jacks around the house. I only need it for gigabit though so the twists are less important. I tend to be a perfectionist and ensure the twists are tight up to the punch down anyway. I ran OM3 with LC jacks for my 10gb needs for the home lab setup with a couple lines to my office.
So I have been eyeing this:

I bought some TP-Link Managed Switches with SFP ports, my 24 port Switch has 4 SFP ports. Thinking one day hanging a NAS off one SFP port and connecting my other 3 switches via fiber, then updating my workstations (PCs), with this 10gig NIC. Then I will be rocking 10g :)
Wonder how my M2s or SSDs can handle that speed?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you cut the cat5/6/7 cable and untwist it a bit, you want to make sure to untwist as little as possible before punching it down or crimping a connector on. The more unraveled you make the individual wires, the less likely the cable will transmit the rated speeds. A basic cable tester will check if the crimp is complete, but it doesn’t certify the connection speed or quality. Those testers are pricey.
Yeah, I was a Contractor running fiber/copper for a Commercial ISP co., we wired over 600 buildings for them. They did some testing and found around an inch of untwist would drop around 100-200meg of speed on CAT6. They even found a drop in not using the right patch panels, CAT5 verses CAT6, not sure what that drop was. We had to make sure our CAT6 twist was tight even on 110 and 66 blocks.

Strobe

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought some TP-Link Managed Switches with SFP ports, my 24 port Switch has 4 SFP ports. Thinking one day hanging a NAS off one SFP port and connecting my other 3 switches via fiber, then updating my workstations (PCs), with this 10gig NIC. Then I will be rocking 10g :)
Wonder how my M2s or SSDs can handle that speed?
I bought some retired server 10gb NICs as I wanted Intel brand for compatibility with ESXi. Was about 50 bucks with 10gb optics installed in it. Also got a cheap SFP+ 10gb switch to connect my workstation and servers with a 1gb uplink to the main 24port house switch.

I have a bunch of NVMe drives in both servers and my workstation. A single NVMe SSD can saturate a 10gb line. That is only 1.25GBps. A good NVMe drive can easily be 3+ GBps read and usually decent write speed dependent on cache size and nand.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought some retired server 10gb NICs as I wanted Intel brand for compatibility with ESXi. Was about 50 bucks with 10gb optics installed in it. Also got a cheap SFP+ 10gb switch to connect my workstation and servers with a 1gb uplink to the main 24port house switch.

I have a bunch of NVMe drives in both servers and my workstation. A single NVMe SSD can saturate a 10gb line. That is only 1.25GBps. A good NVMe drive can easily be 3+ GBps read and usually decent write speed dependent on cache size and nand.
10g really make a diff in the house. like transferring files here to there super quick.?

Shotglasspeppa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I find running pass through connectors help make sure you have a tight twist right up to the crimp. I appreciate pass through may not be suitable for a commercial installation or for shielded cable but for my use they've been great.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
10g really make a diff in the house. like transferring files here to there super quick.?
I remember when I went from 100BaseT to Gig. It was a big difference so I am assuming the same for 10g.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Strobe

n3wb
Reaction score
Only if you have storage speed to support it. A typical platter HD can transfer slightly over a 1gbps copper line, but SSD is heavily bottle necked by 1gbps. Depends what you’re doing and how often you move big data internally on your LAN.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
fixed lens would always bring in more light comparing to adjustable focus. you cannot escape the physics.
that's also why professional still photographers would only use fix lens for their camera. adjustable focus = more optic = less light.
still, adjustable focus is more convenient, flexible and better for finding the exact field of view in a given mounting location.

If I understand correct, the first round was relatively small and next week Andy would have STOCK for everyone.
soon enough (could even be next week), would be a review ready for the new HDW5442T-ZE
While you are not wrong, it is worth noting that the primary benefit of a prime (fixed focal length) lens in Photography is to obtain a shallow depth of field for that trendy bokeh effect. But yes allows more light in for lower light, and also weigh less.
With the CCTV cams this is absolutely not what you want as you want a large depth of field, although I feel some of my 4K cams could do with blokeh effect for posting mug shots on facebook.

Unlike prime photography lenses , all my fixed focal length CCTV cameras don't have focus control (focal depth). All my vari focal length cameras also have additional focus control (focal depth), this is in addition to adjusting the focal length. For myself this myself makes a lot of difference and ensures sharp images as I can avoid the cam focusing on a tree or something stupid.
Disclaimer: Can't say this is the case for all the fixed focal length CCTV cams, just the ones I have used. Worth noting that focal length and focal distance (focus) are not the same thing.

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Waiting for reviews to see if I want this to replace one of my dead 2332 Starlights.

Of course, it Would be great to find an 8k varifocal turret instead of this 4k

Shotglasspeppa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Waiting for reviews to see if I want this to replace one of my dead 2332 Starlights.

Of course, it Would be great to find an 8k varifocal turret instead of this 4k
I ordered one of these from Andy last night. It will be my first camera and journey down the Blue Iris road, I'm looking forward to it.

There is an 8MP varifocal, IPC-T2831T-ZS.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Once again, an 8MP camera with the same size sensor will get half the amount of light to each pixel which significantly lowers low light performance. Given that the 5442 has the 1/1.8" sensor I don't think the 2831 would perform as well under low light conditions even if it had the same sensor and it's using a 1/2.7" sensor which further reduces low light performance. Don't get enamored with megapixels over sensor sizes.

Last edited:

Shotglasspeppa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Once again, an 8MP camera with the same size sensor will get half the amount of light to each pixel which significantly lowers low light performance. Given that the 5442 has the 1/1.8" sensor I don't think the 2831 would perform as well under low light conditions even is it had the same sensor and it's using a 1/2.7" sensor which further reduces low light performance. Don't get enamored with megapixels over sensor sizes.
He asked for an 8mp turret without listing any other requirements so I listed one. I agree it won't work nearly as well in low light conditions but not everyone is using them for low light conditions or they have ample supplemental light for the camera to use.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's also missing AI and any way to get audio into the stream. Not really a comparable camera. It can perform well IF there's enough ambient light, or you're willing to install enough flood lights, though.

Reaction score
ample supplemental light for the camera to use.
That is hard to get to. I have all sorts of additional light and even with a 5442 it can be hard to get good face shots.

I really do not understand n3wb's infatuation with 8k cams. Are you planning on making a 24"x36" print of a scene? I understand that those images make great marketing flyers, but these are surveillance cams, not movie cams. Yes, some folks use them for web streaming their mountain views or wildlife shots, but most are on here for security issues.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Once again, an 8MP camera with the same size sensor will get half the amount of light to each pixel which significantly lowers low light performance. Given that the 5442 has the 1/1.8" sensor I don't think the 2831 would perform as well under low light conditions even if it had the same sensor and it's using a 1/2.7" sensor which further reduces low light performance. Don't get enamored with megapixels over sensor sizes.
yes, 2831 for good light places, at least not very poor light places in the night.