IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

Reaction score
Jumping in this thread as I'm extremely interested in these cameras.

What's the price point on them? The AliExpress listing says sold out and doesn't show the price any longer.

Are these better to use with an NVR by Dahua, or would they also work well using Blue Iris?

I see this mention Privacy Masking of 4 areas - what does this feature actually do?

I was originally wanting to go with 4k cameras until I realize they didn't have 1" sensors and that's a problem for night vision mode, which I feel is an extremely important time to have the best video possible. So I would be willing to sacrifice overall video quality slightly, to have significantly improved night vision.

But how are the day time shots on these? This is what, 2.5k basically right? So the detail and quality should be overall really good for day shots too right? Specifically for more close up and face identification when the camera is mounted below the 8' threshold everyone suggests for upclose imaging.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
They're just over 1440P in resolution.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I would expect a price of 200-250 each.

They will work with either a Dahua NVR or Blue Iris. Blue Iris would allow much greater flexibility but does need a learning curve to take advantage of all the available features and to "fine tune" motion detection.

Privacy masking is a feature of the camera that allows you to block out areas you do not want to record for privacy reasons, for example. They only work with recording directly with the camera itself or an NVR.

Daytime performance of the 5442 series is outstanding and may actually look overly sharp and detailed when compared to a 2MP camera.

Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty reasonable price for this quality of a camera. I'll be keeping on eye on things as the stock starts to be available. I'm not in a rush, so I can wait a bit.

Thanks for the info!

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
greymanlife

This camera have have face capture feature. With a Dahua AI NVR, you can (in theory) use the face capture capability to get face recognition.
BI does not support face recognition at all.
However, BI have some other advantages as flexibility. Most people here prefer the BI over generic NVR. Is the same rule apply also for an expensive AI NVR? I'm not sure. Those have a lot of features and settings but not close probably to BI.
BI need STRONG computer plus Windows license + BI license + a good POE switch (NVR can be the POE switch).
privacy masking area: black area you do not want to see/show or record.

Strobe

n3wb
Reaction score
Just ordered one to try out! Wish PayPal was accepted for the item though since I have 5% cashback through discover currently on PayPal. Oh well, I'm anxious to try this camera out, and likely purchase 2-3 more AS or ZE models.

Now I just need to talk myself into terminating my cat6 cables in the attic I ran to the camera locations this past winter. 90+ degrees outside will not make for a fun install.

Bosty

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just ordered one to try out! Wish PayPal was accepted for the item though since I have 5% cashback through discover currently on PayPal. Oh well, I'm anxious to try this camera out, and likely purchase 2-3 more AS or ZE models.

Now I just need to talk myself into terminating my cat6 cables in the attic I ran to the camera locations this past winter. 90+ degrees outside will not make for a fun install.
Order directly from Andy and you can use PayPal. Just send him an email or DM. Just did my attic cable installs in the 90-degree weather...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I ordered one too. Andy has 4 left now :) Been reading here it is good to have a varifocal cam for placements of fixed lens cams. Be sure to bring each twist all the way up into each connector, that is what sets aside CAT5 to CAT6 and 7.

Strobe

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up having Andy send me an invoice and added a PFA130-E bracket to it as well. Cancelled the aliexpress order. Save on tax and get the cashback by using PayPal.

I’m a sys admin and know what you mean by the twists. I used cat6 that I had a spool of from wiring in jacks around the house. I only need it for gigabit though so the twists are less important. I tend to be a perfectionist and ensure the twists are tight up to the punch down anyway. I ran OM3 with LC jacks for my 10gb needs for the home lab setup with a couple lines to my office.

toshrick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered one too. Andy has 4 left now :) Been reading here it is good to have a varifocal cam for placements of fixed lens cams. Be sure to bring each twist all the way up into each connector, that is what sets aside CAT5 to CAT6 and 7.
I have been reading these forms for nearly 2 years and finally installed cat 6 in my attic for 7 camera's in 90 degree weather not fun. After reading about all the cameras available I think these might be the ones. I will wait a week or 2 for the reviews. David L what does this mean "bring each twist all the way up into each connector" ?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been reading these forms for nearly 2 years and finally installed cat 6 in my attic for 7 camera's in 90 degree weather not fun. After reading about all the cameras available I think these might be the ones. I will wait a week or 2 for the reviews. David L what does this mean "bring each twist all the way up into each connector" ?
prob talking about the cat 6 waterproof connector