IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought 5 of these from Andy in late Aug/early Sept. There was some excessive IR that they were going to try to fix via firmware updates...has that been resolved yet? Before I update the firmware, I figured I better check here.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian

Check out my thread linked HERE on this, long story short, much better, still work needed IMO but a lot better than before. Let me know with any questions

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@brausch - also make sure you are not running auto shutter and default settings. A lot of the excessive IR can be knocked down with dialing it in to your field of view, but up-close is still a little hot.

brausch

n3wb
Reaction score
Check out my thread linked HERE on this, long story short, much better, still work needed IMO but a lot better than before. Let me know with any questions
@brausch - also make sure you are not running auto shutter and default settings. A lot of the excessive IR can be knocked down with dialing it in to your field of view, but up-close is still a little hot.
Thanks fellas. I read through that entire post, Wildcat. It looks like the last update was on 11/23 - and looks to be posted as the Dec 03 firmware, correct? Seems like there were monthly FW updates for awhile there, any ideas if they are still tweaking the SmartIR any more?

Wittaj - I was following Wildcats posts during the timeframe that I bought the cams, I just lost track of the continual updates. I will dig into the settings after I get the latest FW updated.

Thanks again fellas - might reach out if I have questions with the update and/or settings.

Brian

Otanaught

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I guess I missed the relevant post/s but are there some general configurations recommendations for the HDW5442T-ZE? E.g. people seem to recommend using CBR, H264 and a bitrate of 8192.
Are there any other tips?

Also what make and model do you recommend to select in BlueIris?

Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The rest of the setting, brightness, contrast and so on are all dependent on the specific location of each camera. Rules of thumb are to use a manual shutter speed, no slower that 1/60, 16.66ms, at night to prevent blur, keep exposure compensation and gain as low as possible to prevent noise and blur. It can be a slow, tedious process getting everything "just so" the first few times but then you get an idea what each setting does so it gets easier over time.

In terms of a model in BI simply enter the IP and login credentials in find/inspect and let BI select the type. BI will usually select "generic" but it will work fine that way.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I guess I missed the relevant post/s but are there some general configurations recommendations for the HDW5442T-ZE? E.g. people seem to recommend using CBR, H264 and a bitrate of 8192.
Are there any other tips?

Also what make and model do you recommend to select in BlueIris?

Thanks!
Use find/inspect and use what it finds.

Otanaught

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @sebastiantombs and @looney2ns.

The shutter speed tutorial states its best to stay with auto shutter speed but sebastiantombs recommends fixed.
Confusion intensifies ;)

Do you use the camera motion detection and feed that into BlueIris or do you just use the detection provided by BlueIris? When everything is up and running I will continue looking into Deepstack AI.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with auto shutter speed is that at night, when we need cameras to get good video with no blur, the camera will slow the shutter speed down to "improve" the picture, make it look nicer. The result is blurred video when there is any motion. That is why I say to set a range that is no slower than 1/60th second, 16.66ms, to avoid blurred night time video. The camera is not "smart" enough to know when motion happens and speed up the shutter. Even if it is that "smart" it takes too long for everything to happen, internally, in the camera so no good video is available.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, don't use auto shutter.
I should have linked this one instead.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turn off Multicast/Broadcast?
What is CGI and Genetec Service?

1635086738340.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Google has the answers.
I ended up like tigerwillow1 :), but I am sure was more lost.

Googled and found this: LOL

Thanks looney2ns for the Multicast/Broadcast tip, I turned it off but if it is needed for Dahua IP Config Tool, maybe I need to leave it On. Though I can change Cam Network settings in Browser and if I had to do a Factory Reset of the Camera, Multicast defaults to On which would allow me to IP the Cam via the IP Config Tool.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj just showed you the hard way for all those smart kids who actually paid attention in math class.

For the rest of us numbskulls there’s an easier way without all the cypherin’ ;) The camera will do the math for ya.

Set exposure to manual, choose say 1/60 and then choose “customized range” at very bottom of that drop down menu. The camera automagically calculates the range 0-16.67, works for any manual exposure value.