IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED issues

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

This Topic is regarding the durability of IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED.

Camera is few Weeks old and stopped recording any Motion since Yesterday 5pm.

We tried everything from Defaulting to switching SD Card.

No NVR is used. Connection is fine. No Errors in the configuration and even Playback from Yesterday works. Nothing was Changed. The Camera Just wont record anything anymore.

Purchased about 3 Weeks ago as New from hitechbay - a official dahua reseller on ebay in China.

Has anyone else ever had these kind of issues with a dahua camera? It wasn't dropped or got wet or anything since its mounted under a roof.

Xpert Suggestions Welcome!

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If it was working yesterday then your settings are apparently correct. I can't imagine it being anything other than an issue inside the camera. Did you try to do a hard reset?

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Haven't seen or heard of this before. I would try Jessie's suggestion first and if that doesn't fix it, you could try to upgrade/reload the firmware on it. In the case it's defective hardware, you might want to see if the seller will exchange it with another, hopefully you used paypal. Would just hate to see you resolve it, then have it stop working again in 3 weeks.

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Haven't seen or heard of this before. I would try Jessie's suggestion first and if that doesn't fix it, you could try to upgrade/reload the firmware on it. In the case it's defective hardware, you might want to see if the seller will exchange it with another, hopefully you used paypal. Would just hate to see you resolve it, then have it stop working again in 3 weeks.
Actually we spent 500 Dollars for 3 Security Cameras from Dahua. This Forum and Sample Videos were the reason for choosing dahua over hikvision. But so far ...oh man! Regret is overtaking.

Hours and Days, of issues!

We're in the 30day Return period, yes i used PayPal.

Seller Claims to be official dahua and hikvision Dealer... when asked for the Return adress: oh you might Just try sell these Cameras in your local area because
China customs are very "Strict" now with packages from outside of China.

Furthermore he tells us he had two customers and their Return packages didn't make it through customs due to Corona situation.

So even returning will result in more issues here.

The 3 Models have are:

HFW3849T1-AS-PV
HFW4239T-ASE
HFW5442TM-AS-LED

Positioning was tried in 1 - 4,5m height.

Recording mostly failed - No Matter If its small object such as a Cat or a human Passing by.

Things are just "there" in a Playback video. You never see them approach.

Same for dissapearing. The Video Just stops within the Motion.

Quality is Always with some Sort of Motion Blur especially at night. No Matter the exposure Level. It gets blurry and ghosting as If you use a 1/3 exposure Level. This makes the 500Dollars spent for dahua a Bad Deal in total.

Currently the exposure has to be Changed manually everytime morning, noon, afternoon, night.... to get decent picture. The camera Just cant do nothing on its own. Horrible! Actions often are not saved from IP Adress web configuration.

Totaly unreliable when the whole Idea was a easy Access Event Monitoring Solution with good night Vision arround the House for nightly animals/unwanted visitors.

Any suggestions for a comparable Hikvisions Solution? We're Out of ideas for the Dahua Problem.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have many Dahuas with no issues, as do many on here. You shouldn't be forced to sell a defective camera yourself to save the seller from taking it back. Offer to return them. If that does not work, start the buyer protection process with PayPal.

Many here use @EMPIRETECANDY for Dahua. Great seller. He stands behind the product he sells.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
That is weird to have so many issues. I have 12 Dahua cameras, and I have never had any issues.
You should definitely do a factory reset, and maybe a firmware upgrade.
The other cameras work OK?
What are you using, if not and nvr to power and monitor the cameras? Blue Iris?

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have many Dahuas with no issues, as do many on here. You shouldn't be forced to sell a defective camera yourself to save the seller from taking it back. Offer to return them. If that does not work, start the buyer protection process with PayPal.

Many here use @EMPIRETECANDY for Dahua. Great seller. He stands behind the product he sells.
For sure, buyer protection.

Do your memory cards meet the specifications required for writing from these cameras? Have you tried a different brand of card?

I also have a several rebranded Dahua with no issues (knock on wood). I'm no expert, but from some of the issues you're having, it sounds like some could be resolved with settings. One parameter setting will not always provide the same results between cameras, even if located at the same location. I'm not saying that you're doing anything wrong, it's just weird to have so many issues.

Lastly, is it possible they could be counterfeit devices?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Totaly unreliable when the whole Idea was a easy Access Event Monitoring Solution with good night Vision arround the House for nightly animals/unwanted visitors.
What you've described is quite at variance with general forum user experience of IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED as the posts above have indicated.
It's a very popular model, which performs well.

The symptoms you've quoted may be a combination of configuration choices or SD card problems.
Were the SD cards you've tried bought together from the same source?

If you post some configurtion screenshots you'll be certain to receive some useful feedback.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Legit Dahua cameras rarely and I mean almost never have issues

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Given what the seller is telling you, I suspect they are hacked cameras and those are prone to issues. Any vendor worth anything would accept a return. And if they are hacked cameras, if you try a firmware update you will likely brick it.

As others have said, stick to reputable sellers like @EMPIRETECANDY

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of your issue's are most likely user error.
Make certain you are buying legitimate SD cards, there are lots of fake cards in the market.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as an official dahua reseller on ebay in china.
Both hik and dahua are very reliable brands. IF you think you would have no issues with hik, see the hik section of this forum. Most of the time as noted these are user errors.

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

A quick Update for the Situation:

Camera records now again after a factory reset. Let's See how long.

Regarding SD Cards:
Legit quality sold directly from Amazon. They work fine. As mentioned before, playback was always possible - the Camera Just wouldn't want to record - no Matter what. Space was used 71gb of 128gb.

Changing SD did not resolve the Problem. Neither did dissconnecting, defaulting etc.

Factory reset did the trick. Complete reconfiguration.

The Camera is now remounted in 4,5meters to Monitor the backyard of the Grandparents house we're renovating.

Since i haven't found a good Source to Convert the compressed dahua Video Files i used a screen Recorder to give you an Idea how 4,5meters Looks at night with no others lights then from the Camera in Auto Mode and some adjustments.

Now the current issue is the recording itself at night.
Tripwire and a Intrusion grid did not Work at all.

Setup successfull but you could walk underneath it without any recording done. Double checked the settings.

So the Cat Video was Done with a 100 Sensitivity Motion Detection.

Still the Video abruptly starts and ends and you dont See which way the cat went or came from.

In our landside area a Lot of animals come visit at night arround the House.

So the Main Focus is to have that recorded.

So far Motion detection worked poorly from dahua.

Any suggestions If a hikvision could perform better?

The Main reason for us to consider hikvision is their 2nd gerneration Colorvu and improved usability.

Also a rich fluent vivid night Vision Sample footage you can watch here:

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Personally, I'd ditch those now while you are still within the return window. Get some from a known, reputable seller with known good firmware.

There is nothing wrong with Dahua cameras. People are very pleased with the performance of that model.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tripwire and a Intrusion grid did not Work at all.
Are they not triggering, or are they triggering but just not recording? If they're not recording, make sure you selected IVS in the SmartEvents area and I think you need a separate recording schedule setup as well. Also remember that if you put a tripwire or intrusion zone close the side of the image, something moving may cross over the tripwire (or enter the intrusion zone) before camera recognizes it as an object, resulting in the rule not being triggered. There are workarounds for both situations.

Still the Video abruptly starts and ends and you dont See which way the cat went or came from.
You should be able to set how long the recording continues after the motion has been identified, but I think most folks here would agree that no matter how well motion detection is configured there's always a chance that something will happen that doesn't get detected. For that reason, it's recommended to record continuously (24/7) in addition to using IVS/motion detection. IMO, that recommendation is for all brands of cameras.

For troubleshooting, you might be able to use the Dahua SmartPSS app on a computer. It should "show you" when a camera identifies something as an object and then you can watch with how that object interacts with your IVS rules.

On the top left camera below, the green box shows that the camera has identified the car as an object. The blue box is my IVS intrusion zone. The car was on the screen for a bit over a second before the camera put the green box around it. If I had a basic tripwire or intrusion zone drawn at the top of the road in the image, this car would not have tripped it due to how long it took the camera to identify it as an object. The workaround for this is to enable the "appears" option when working with intrusion zones, or to draw a zig-zag tripwire that goes down the street vs. using a straight tripwire at the top.

Image 1-13-21 at 9.39 AM.jpg

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are they not triggering, or are they triggering but just not recording? If they're not recording, make sure you selected IVS in the SmartEvents area and I think you need a separate recording schedule setup as well. Also remember that if you put a tripwire or intrusion zone close the side of the image, something moving may cross over the tripwire (or enter the intrusion zone) before camera recognizes it as an object, resulting in the rule not being triggered. There are workarounds for both situations.

You should be able to set how long the recording continues after the motion has been identified, but I think most folks here would agree that no matter how well motion detection is configured there's always a chance that something will happen that doesn't get detected. For that reason, it's recommended to record continuously (24/7) in addition to using IVS/motion detection. IMO, that recommendation is for all brands of cameras.

For troubleshooting, you might be able to use the Dahua SmartPSS app on a computer. It should "show you" when a camera identifies something as an object and then you can watch with how that object interacts with your IVS rules.

On the top left camera below, the green box shows that the camera has identified the car as an object. The blue box is my IVS intrusion zone. The car was on the screen for a bit over a second before the camera put the green box around it. If I had a basic tripwire or intrusion zone drawn at the top of the road in the image, this car would not have tripped it due to how long it took the camera to identify it as an object. The workaround for this is to enable the "appears" option when working with intrusion zones, or to draw a zig-zag tripwire that goes down the street vs. using a straight tripwire at the top.

View attachment 79546
Thank you for your time and Details.

So far all the config was done by using the web ui. Of course ivs was enabled. Both Appears and Crossing were enabled. Also tried one without the other. But simply did Not Work before the fact. Reset. Tripwire was in the middle of the screen and you could walk right through without any recording.

We'll See how Things Go tonight.

I cant Tell you If Not detected because
Review is done by Phone/ Tablets using the DMSS App.

Keep in Mind, this whole Setup is planned for a simple easy Access, so any Grandparent can watch what noise happened at night arround the House and make quick Changes when needed.

6 camera on a 1000 Dollar budget are planned in total for that.

The DMSS App is by far not the greatest Solution but best among the other variations like gdmss plus HD etc. Apps. Dahua has to offer.

Dahua Support Said that the serial Number is from a valid original dahua camera...OK.

I will however consider to say good Bye to dahua and follow jessie.Slimer's recommendations to send everything Back to china if Motion detection fails again tonight. There was simply to much hassle and frustration going on with that product that i haven't mentioned yet.

Daytime worked today with a simple Tripwire Setup after the reset and reconfig was done.

Delay was and is Set to 30s.
Period ist selected to all 24/7.

There is really not much you can select or miss Out in the settings.

I have a feeling that this Camera simply can not detect anything at night in 4,5meters height.

I was never a Big hikvision Fan but IT seems they have improved much over the years and offer a good alternative Like this review Shows:
Skip to 11min.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It can be an "original" Dahua camera but manufactured with Chinese firmware, not International firmware. Then a hacked version of English firmware gets installed by the vendor and you could very well be seeing the results of that. To make it worse if that is, indeed, the case the firmware can't be upgraded without risking turning the camera into a brick.