IPC-HFW1831C-PIR 8MP WDR IR Mini Bullet Network Camera / Active Deterrence Overview

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just received this camera from Andy. I will be adding to this post as I have more time to play with the camera.
The Camera:
This camera has an 8mp 1/2.5" sensor and should perform similarly to other dahuas with the same sensor, though the lens is a wide 2.8mm.
The housing is all metal.
It comes with two mounting options shown in the image below, allowing for table top placement. It can be powered by POE or 12v.
The camera has a built in mic as well as speaker. The camera can be triggered by PIR and/or pixel based Motion detection. There is an "area" setting on the PIR settings page that allows you to require pixel based motion detection in conjunction with PIR for the alarm to trigger.
Upon trigger it can sound an alarm and/or engage built in white light LED's. The LED's can be set to "flicker" or "Normally on" for 5-30 seconds. While the alarm is not too loud, it is certainly loud enough to get the attention of someone messing with you car.
The camera has a small single IR led.
The alarm audio page seemingly allows you to modify the alarm sound with your own wav file, however it is grayed out. It is possible this is due to not installing the SD card. EDIT: Added the SD card. Still cannot change or modify the alarm.wav file.
The camera supports audio level based triggers as well as IVS tripwire/intrusion.
The camera has an always on green led in the front. Looking to see if there is an option to disable.

Blue iris compatibility:
It does work via onvif using find/inspect. However, the talk function does not operate. This will likely require someone providing access to the developer so he can get the talk function working.
The good news is that using the onvif profile, blue iris will detect the PIR triggers. Once the talk function is ironed out Blue iris users can send any wav file they wish to the camera upon trigger.

EDIT (1/24/19) Talk audio will be supported in Blue Iris with the next update.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks awesome.. Please let me know how useful the motion light will be.. is it very bright? I'd be setting it to solid light for 30 secs

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks awesome.. Please let me know how useful the motion light will be.. is it very bright? I'd be setting it to solid light for 30 secs
In my home office it appears to be very bright, however, outdoors at night, it would be less so. This would work really well at a front door to light up a subject or as a warning. This camera would be ideal as a driveway overview camera to chase off door checkers. Simply set the alarm schedule to 1am-5am.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
In my home office it appears to be very bright, however, outdoors at night, it would be less so. This would work really well at a front door to light up a subject or as a warning. This camera would be ideal as a driveway overview camera to chase off door checkers. Simply set the alarm schedule to 1am-5am.
I'm getting one of these.. love the idea

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no 4MM and 6mm for this model, only 2.8mm lens.
Refer to this link for the specification.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/26977
The link to the data sheet is missing in that page. Here it is https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/uploads/soft/20181128/DH-IPC-HFW1831C-PIR_datasheet_20181128.pdf The drafter had a bit too much to drink.
The IR Megapixel Fixed camera delivers 8MP resolution with a motorized 2.8/4.0/6.0mm fixed lens. lol.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was looking at the previous mentioned Lorex version from Costco but I think I don’t need the 6 cameras for $800 so I was looking for a less expensive solution and found this as I found the lorex cam for about $120 but lorex make it sound you need a specific NVR for everything to work. LED, Siren etc.

Question the spec say it have a FOV of 107* is that right?
The lorex say is FOV 128*

Which one is wrong?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking at the previous mentioned Lorex version from Costco but I think I don’t need the 6 cameras for $800 so I was looking for a less expensive solution and found this as I found the lorex cam for about $120 but lorex make it sound you need a specific NVR for everything to work. LED, Siren etc.

Question the spec say it have a FOV of 107* is that right?
The lorex say is FOV 128*

Which one is wrong?

Thanks.
lorex is likely using a diagonal fov to make it appear larger.
also note that some lorex branded units for example the 1080p wifi have certain limitations like, no full onvif support, only 5 seconds of white lighton time and a cooldown period for the white light. No sure if the POE models have this as well. The dahua does not have these limitations.

Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman,

107* is not bad, I have the Blink WiFi inside the home and they say they are 110* I just don’t know their vertical FOV to compare.
I have one on the front porch but they lack on the verical department FOV.

So you can do pretty much everything with a Dahua NVR, but the cloud storage?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman,

107* is not bad, I have the Blink WiFi inside the home and they say they are 110* I just don’t know their vertical FOV to compare.
I have one on the front porch but they lack on the verical department FOV.

So you can do pretty much everything with a Dahua NVR, but the cloud storage?
blink is almost certainly using diagonal

Reaction score
I would get like 4 and probably something with a wider FOV for the front door to replace the Blink.

What would be a good NVR to get all the features of this cameras?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would get like 4 and probably something with a wider FOV for the front door to replace the Blink.

What would be a good NVR to get all the features of this cameras?
Hi @Cloudbuster

The only NVRs I know which should work best with that are those they bundle with those cameras - Costco had 2 kits under the Lorex brand which included those cameras.

As some of this functionality is new, we're still learning about these cameras and how best to use them.

update:
fyi - data sheet on these
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/uploads/soft/20181102/DH-IPC-HFW1831C-PIR_datasheet_201811014.pdf

note - clearly the data sheet has some errors such as
"The IR Megapixel Fixed camera delivers 8MP resolution with a motorized 2.8/4.0/6.0mm fixed lens." ( these are certainly not varifocal.. too little space in the case )

Last edited: