IPC-HFW4431R-Z still the best varifocal for under $100?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could go to @EMPIRETECANDY aliexpress page and sort thru them based on price and other features I bet....
It would be so nice that in the sticky list of Dahua starlight and other cams there were prices right next to each model.

Bramboo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was kind of happy with the low light performance as well, but you might want to have a look at the 52xx series. Less resolution, better night time performance. Probably much less than the starlights, but for approx. $90...

I ordered the HFW5231R-Z recently (Chinese version). Came to EU in 9 days (free Chinese shipping) and it does the job very well.

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was kind of happy with the low light performance as well, but you might want to have a look at the 52xx series. Less resolution, better night time performance. Probably much less than the starlights, but for approx. $90...

I ordered the HFW5231R-Z recently (Chinese version). Came to EU in 9 days (free Chinese shipping) and it does the job very well.
Yeah for sure... I have my HFW4431R pointed at doors at a distance of 15-20ft and for $80 dollars shipped, man its hard to complain for that quality. I just received my 5231RP-ZE from Empiretecandy today. Looks very impressive..

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I ran a 4431r-z and 5231r-z side by side and posted some pictures. You can possibly use them to draw your own cost vs. performance conclusion. Ironically, the best night performance was to use both: The 5231r-z for the image and the 4431r-z for the IR. If cost were no issue, I wouldn't mess with that low-end 5xxx series :)

Comparison of IPC-HFW5231E-Z and IPC-HFW4431R-Z

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah for sure... I have my HFW4431R pointed at doors at a distance of 15-20ft and for $80 dollars shipped, man its hard to complain for that quality. I just received my 5231RP-ZE from Empiretecandy today. Looks very impressive..
yeah, which one suits you is the best. :)

Bramboo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If cost were no issue, I wouldn't mess with that low-end 5xxx series :)
Not sure why you'd call it low end. Although the resolution is lower, the sensitivity is better. My favorite store also mentions "better chip set", but that's not backed up by specs or anything else. And it's more expensive than the 44xx range.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have superinsulated my house. Drilling 12"-20" through multiple layers of insulation, then redoing airsealing etc. is not my cup of tea.

Really wish there was in between option. I love being on these forums, but seems like most suggestions end up focusing just on one camera and on "the best". Sometimes we just need "good enough", the "B+ student", the "2nd place" winner.
Did you spend all you money on the insulation and air thightness etc than not being able to spend that few $ on a good camera ?

I am now in the building process, and the whole insulation and air sealing costs soo much, those few cameras are noting in comparisation.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure why you'd call it low end
There's a pattern here of demonizing the chinese cameras as junk while pointing out that the 5231s are worth it. The same can be said of the 5xxx cameras compared to the 8xxx line, or to change a few words of some of the comments: ...better than a shitty 5xxx series motorized varifocal, or do it right with the 8xxx family. Some people just might have a budget and could be better off with double the number of the shitty chinese cameras. Just like some might choose two junky Hondas when a Lamborghini is clearly superior. 26 responses with no answer to the question that started the thread.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From my point of view the IPC-HFW4431R-Z have abetter quality/money ration that the 5231. And with a cheap additional IR or not IR flood light it can easily pass the performances of the 5231 for a fraction of the cost.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From my point of view the IPC-HFW4431R-Z have abetter quality/money ration that the 5231. And with a cheap additional IR or not IR flood light it can easily pass the performances of the 5231 for a fraction of the cost.
That is simply incorrect...it will be much worse than the 5231 in low light...your inexperience shines...additionally there have been many instances with issues with hacked cameras and their firmware...penny wise pound foolish.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is simply incorrect...it will be much worse than the 5231 in low light...your inexperience shines...additionally there have been many instances with issues with hacked cameras and their firmware...penny wise pound foolish.
You are wrong. I made some test already with a camera with OV4689 against IMX291 and with a floodlight the OV4689 was "shining" (LOL) more than the IMX291 one. Your inexperience shines

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are wrong. I made some test already with a camera with OV4689 against IMX291 and with a floodlight the OV4689 was "shining" (LOL) more than the IMX291 one. Your inexperience shines
Listen stop misleading the users here..you did not compare anything...I hate liars...you are a cheap shmuck who is purposely misleading others because you are try to save 20 dollars...stop it.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why are you insulting me? With the money that I have I can buy you, your mother and your house easily trust me dude. Stop insulting and start giving right suggestions instasd of misleading ones.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why are you insulting me? With the money that I have I can buy you, your mother and your house easily trust me dude. Stop insulting and start giving right suggestions instasd of misleading ones.
Stop lying.... in one post you claim to have tested the sensors, in another you claim that you "bet" that a flood light would make the 4mp better than the 2mp...which one is it? I HATE liars. I will insult liars and fraudsters...if you dont like it leave my forum.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You know it would be nice if we did not go into personal insults here (especially coming from "Staff Member"). Not like we are arguing about life changing things. Community management is a tough job requiring tact and diplomacy. If you feel someone is deliberately misleading the community, warn then suspend. All in private.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I purchased one (4431r) when they first hit the market last fall. I paid over $100 for mine. I wish I did not and used that $$$ for a better cam. I have a review on it here, As I have stated before You will get what you pay for.

Review_>Dahua Bullet (IPC-HFW4431R-Z) First Thoughts

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You know it would be nice if we did not go into personal insults here (especially coming from "Staff Member"). Not like we are arguing about life changing things. Community management is a tough job requiring tact and diplomacy. If you feel someone is deliberately misleading the community, warn then suspend. All in private.
I don't give a crap about what you think..I don't take crap.. don't like it, you are welcome to try another forum..

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't give a crap about what you think..I don't take crap.. don't like it, you are welcome to try another forum..
Hey man, I respect you own the forum, but c'mon now, let's stay classy here