IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 LPR from 137 feet

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^ nope, not good for the 5231, I already asked...but if you want to try and report back LOL

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, different chipset, only works on 5241. Works really well though, maybe consider adding 1 to your deployment
Well then for the existing ones I'll just keep the focus script running. No sense in replacing the cam just for that. I have another location I want to add to LPRs to but I'm hoping to get into a 4mp starlight this time around. I dont think the 5442 series has a z12 yet though does it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At this location a Z4 would actually probably be good enough

I did a bit of a pros and cons of using the Z4 in an LPR role over the 2MP here

One guy is using the HFW5242H-Z6E-MF as an LPR cam with success.

Are you planning to human reads or ANPR?

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did a bit of a pros and cons of using the Z4 in an LPR role over the 2MP here

One guy is using the HFW5242H-Z6E-MF as an LPR cam with success.

Are you planning to human reads or ANPR?
Human reads. Only needed in the event of a security issue.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Human reads. Only needed in the event of a security issue.
Then have at it. I will mention though that it is a lot of camera to dedicate to plate recognition. The night images from the 1/1.8" sensor are incredible, and better used as an overwatch. Using a cheaper camera with the 1/2.8" sensor will save you some money.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Then have at it. I will mention though that it is a lot of camera to dedicate to plate recognition. The night images from the 1/1.8" sensor are incredible, and better used as an overwatch. Using a cheaper camera with the 1/2.8" sensor will save you some money.
Yea I already have some 5442s and they are incredible. My states license plates are extremely difficult to read because of the non textured, low contrast nature of the plates. In looking at hundreds of captures from 5231s im pretty certain increased resolution would have at least helped in some circumstances

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For LPR you're going to see this at night. 2MP 5241-Z5 or Z12 is the way to go
-
View attachment 76937
I'm aware. Ive already had 4 2MP Z12s deployed for years. My states plates are way way way harder to capture than yours. I could be wrong but I believe the 5442 series will provide better results in my case. My states plates are flat (no texture) with metalic gold letters / numbers on metallic blue background. Terrible contrast for IR images. In this next deployment I may actually experiment with spilling some visible light into the road and not using IR..... we'll see lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I too am using a Z12 for LPR duty and snagged a 5442 on the Black Friday deals for another purpose, but I did try it for LPR just to see if I saw an improvement. I didn't see an improvement over the Z12 and I see a mix of raised plates and flat plates. I also didn't spend a lot of time trying to dial it in, so maybe with some refinement it might be better, but running the fast shutter at night to a dark image probably is why I didn't see a drastic difference. I do think if you could run color and find the balance with a slower shutter that you might stand a chance at catching those flat plates. I used to run 24/7 B/W and had to go to color in the day as the newer plates are the flat ones and it was struggling during the daytime with those.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a B5442E-Z4E as an overview cam to give make, model, color, etc for my LPR cams. It is centered on the intersection and set to color full time. Now there are two street lights nearby. One on my side of the street and one on the other side of the street and down a ways. When cars slow down for the stop sign (hardly ANYONE actually stops) and makes a left I do get some good caps at night. If a car is coming towards the cam and turns right I also get some good caps. These distances are 40-70 feet.

High cam view of corner. Note street lights.
InkedFront Corner 2020-12-15 09.19.07.301 PM_LI.jpg
INTS.20200719_210707841_1.jpg INTS.20200719_204723169_1.jpg
Cars coming straight across the top of the 'T' are usually going too fast for a plate cap at night. They also have a higher angle.
INTS.20200719_212428084_1.jpg

dubb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this camera still the best recommended for LPR?

IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E is the new version right since the Z12 is EoL right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CompuGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm considering the 5241E-Z12E but the location where it would be installed is about a 1/4 mile from my house (I have large property). I will be running internet to the remote location. However, what would be the best set up for this? I'm not really too keen on installing an NVR. My preference would be an IP camera that can talk to a computer running Blue IRIs or other software.

CompuGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion. I would not be running a cable like that. I would use something like a Ubiquiti PTP bridge to get internet from the home to the location so that I don't have to run wire. I could place an NVR in a box at the remote location but that would not be ideal. I'd prefer a way to just have the camera, power and internet at the remote location.

Based on your suggestion though, it sounds like I could have a ePOE switch at the remote location and plug the internet and camera into the switch and then run Blue Iris back at the house?

Just use a ePOE switch, can reach aroudn 800m(around 2500ft) with a cat6 cable.