IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 LPR from 137 feet

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’ve been running a IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 as an LPR from 137 feet for over a week now and I’m getting excellent results for both day and night.

The 137 feet distance was calculated using the IPVM calculator (IPVM Camera Calculator) and I measured it with a Bosch laser measurer. Here’s the birds eye view of the camera placement which was at the corner of the house under the eaves.
LPR Birds eye.png

Here’s my how my steams are configured. I’m using the Main Stream for BI and Sub Stream 2 for LPR. Sub Stream 1 is disabled. Both streams are defined the same 1080P, VBR and 5 FPS.
Streams def.png

I have separate day / night profiles and use the DahuaSunriseSunset utility to switch profiles and refocus. Link to the utility; Dahua day/night switch utility - DahuaSunriseSunset

Sample day image
Day LPR image.jpg

Daytime settings, values not shown are default;
Day exposure.png

Sample night image
Night LPR image.jpg

Nighttime settings, values not shown are default.
night exposure.png
LPR night B?W.png

Last edited:

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's my DahuaSunriseSunset settings, I zoom in a little more at night since you can't see what kind of vehicle it is;
Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 11.12.06 AM.png

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do yourself a big favor and waterproof that connection...you will fry the camera with a bit of water...
Good point and thanks for mentioning it. It's under an eave but with some strong winds and rain it could get wet. I'm thinking of moving it back a little more and to the left to make it less exposed but now that you brought it up I'll look at some water proofing measures. I really didn't want to use that wall mount and should have asked the forum about other mounting solutions.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Glad to see this. I have 3 of these ariving tomorrow from Andy for LPR duties. At 100' and less.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve been running a IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 as an LPR from 137 feet for over a week now and I’m getting excellent results for both day and night.

The 137 feet distance was calculated using the IPVM calculator and I measured it with a Bosch laser measurer. Here’s the birds eye view of the camera placement which was at the corner of the house under the eaves.
View attachment 24360

Here’s my how my steams are configured. I’m using the Main Stream for BI and Sub Stream 2 for LPR. Sub Stream 1 is disabled. Both streams are defined the same 1080P, VBR and 5 FPS.
View attachment 24361

I have separate day / night profiles and use the DahuaSunriseSunset utility to switch profiles and refocus. Link to the utility; Dahua day/night switch utility - DahuaSunriseSunset

Sample day image
View attachment 24362

Daytime settings, values not shown are default;
View attachment 24363

Sample night image
View attachment 24364

Nighttime settings, values not shown are default.
View attachment 24365
View attachment 24366
This camera is crazy good for watching the license plate. Any guys in other country can watch the plate like this pic?

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do yourself a big favor and waterproof that connection...you will fry the camera with a bit of water...
I agree with you on that :)
Every connection should be housed in a dry box or waterproofed...

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What size or part number is that junction box it is mounted to in your pic?
Is there a waterproof junction box like that available?

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What size or part number is that junction box it is mounted to in your pic?
Is there a waterproof junction box like that available?
PFA121 - Dahua Technology

I bought it from here when I bought the camera, it was $24.31.

Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Here's a document that shows compatible accessories for camera types.

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/download/Accessory_Selection_20171123.pdf

Last edited:

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not sure why but whenever I go to any Dahua links in the forum like the one you just provided I get "page not found".
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/product/productDetail/16141
I get a not found too on that link and for a short time a couple days ago I was getting a not found on the other links. I just checked the three links on my comment above and they are working now. I'm guessing they had a short term problem with their website.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Still not found for me and other Dania links. No idea.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score