IPC-HFW8232E-Z recording size?

Jtcarlson1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking to install 2 x IPC-HFW8232E-Z in the entrance to my community for our HOA. We have just one entrance so wanted one camera wide angle to capture good view and another to focus directly on plates going out. Anyone know what the recording size is per minute or hour with quality settings? Looking to do 24/7 recording and trying to see what size purple drive to get to cover like 5 days or so.

Most important trying to make sure we can ID cars or people coming in when we have a car broken into or what not. In last 3 months had 2 crews come in and hit 6 or 7 cars. There is a street light on this entrance so thinking this IPC-HFW8232E-Z camera would be awesome there correct? Should have enough external light to really make this good at night? Thoughts?

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking to install 2 x IPC-HFW8232E-Z in the entrance to my community for our HOA. We have just one entrance so wanted one camera wide angle to capture good view and another to focus directly on plates going out. Anyone know what the recording size is per minute or hour with quality settings? Looking to do 24/7 recording and trying to see what size purple drive to get to cover like 5 days or so.

Most important trying to make sure we can ID cars or people coming in when we have a car broken into or what not. In last 3 months had 2 crews come in and hit 6 or 7 cars. There is a street light on this entrance so thinking this IPC-HFW8232E-Z camera would be awesome there correct? Should have enough external light to really make this good at night? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Welcome Jtcarlson

Definitely check out the LPR section. For LPR i believe you can get away with a 5xxx camera model and save some money there.
The IPC-HFW8232E-Z is a really nice unit, and I would recommend getting a PFA121 junction box to go with it.
For space, even a 4-6TB HDD should do well for 2 cameras.

Additional normal lighting is really nice for getting a color night time image with the HFW8232 - I would go that route if you find you need more light, you may already have enough if street lighting is good.

With regards to evidence, the police often want to get a video of the act, so your HOA should allow for rules which help people setup their own cameras to capture actual acts of crime.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Jtcarlson1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback mat200! Funny that was the other camera I was considering, the HDW5231R-ZE. Think I liked the bullet style a bit more since that might be little more vandal proof then the turret? Looking to possibly mount on that street light as I think the HOA owns that one. We paid for it to be installed and pay the power for it as well.

I am on the board and we definitely allow for and recommend cameras for houses. We have had some crews come thru over the last year so I think about 1/3 of the homes have cameras in some manner. Usually when someone comes thru we get several houses that catch the act. Since we only have one way in/out police recommended camera or two up front on that entrance.

I currently have a 9 camera setup at home running blue iris with all IPC-HFW4421S cameras for the last year. I wish I read up more before getting those cameras as I thought MP was the only spec to look at lol. After reading all the great posts on this site around the starlight cameras and min lux specs I see that MP is not everything. I caught my first act last week when two guys came thru checking for unlocked doors and after watching my video was sad on the quality. Where this camera is i have 3 x 60 watt drive way lights and 2 x 60 watt patio lights behind the camera as well as a street light in front of my house to right. Normally if we get hit in our area they stay clear of my drive way since its fully lit. Maybe just some setting I need to change on my current camera since they BW at night and grainy. The motion is even hard to pick up as my 2nd camera did not even trigger when two guys walking in front. I have since changed those front to 24/7 recording. Also planning on at replacing those two with the IPC-HFW8232E-Z asap. The back and front patio the lighting is strong enough they stay in color.

Heres a link the clip I caught lol. If you wait about 20 secs a 2nd guy walks thru holding what I think is a laptop they got from a prior car left unlocked.

Cam01_20171028 - Copy.mp4

Sorry for the wordy reply! lol

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..Heres a link the clip I caught lol. If you wait about 20 secs a 2nd guy walks thru holding what I think is a laptop they got from a prior car left unlocked.

3390_E_Gate_DR_20171028.mp4

Sorry for the wordy reply! lol
Wow, just strolling by.

I would try to place a camera at a lower position - ideally close to face level as it seems the folks hitting your area like to wear hoodies.

If you have enough light and are on a tighter budget I would get 2x the starlight turrets or the like compared to one 8232

I have the 8232 bullet and 5231 turret, and while the 8232 is really nice it is 2x the price of the 5231 turrets - and the 5231 do a good job.

Jtcarlson1

n3wb
Reaction score
Great point. I was trying to look for another lower mounting area as well :) The 2nd camera tho is on the corner of house pointing across the drive way that would have caught the front of them but didn't trigger from the motion. Going to check out some more mounting options like you suggested.

Yes I am going back and forth on the 8232's or can upgrade more cameras with 5231's lol..