IPC-T5442TM-AS Can't get it to work with Lorex NVR

Reaction score
Picked up a couple IPC-T5442TM-AS cams from EmpireTecAndy and I'm having issues getting it work with the Lorex NVR, I've bought cams before from Andy and never had any issues. At first, when the cam was directly plugged directly into the NVR the ConfigTool could not see the camera on the network. I plugged the camera into a switch and the ConfigTool identified and initialized the camera, it shows up on the setup tab but won't won't connect. Previously I was able to initialize and setup through the Lorex software but now it won't play nicely. I'm lost on what to try next, any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Update

After initializing through the ConfigTool using the switch, I removed it from the switch and plugged directly into port on NVR and now it works.....weird as I'm not what went wrong and why the NVR wouldn't initialize and complete on its own.

I reset the NVR and same thing, no connection to camera; back to square one. I am by no means an IP Camera/NVR expert but I've had success fumbling my way through these things over the last 2 years with success. When I plug directly into the NVR the software assigns a 10.1.xx IP with a default gateway being 192.168.1.xxx, this generates an error the IP and default gateway are not in the same IP section and it won't initialize. This has never been an issue before or I don't recall how I resolved it.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update

After initializing through the ConfigTool using the switch, I removed it from the switch and plugged directly into port on NVR and now it works.....weird as I'm not what went wrong and why the NVR wouldn't initialize and complete on its own.

I reset the NVR and same thing, no connection to camera; back to square one. I am by no means an IP Camera/NVR expert but I've had success fumbling my way through these things over the last 2 years with success. When I plug directly into the NVR the software assigns a 10.1.xx IP with a default gateway being 192.168.1.xxx, this generates an error the IP and default gateway are not in the same IP section and it won't initialize. This has never been an issue before or I don't recall how I resolved it.
Hi @Usafexplorer

Sounds like you need to check that the cameras are on the correct IP range.

iirc the NVR assigns ip addresses to the cameras connected to the PoE ports via the NVRs DHCP server - and that subnet will be different than your LANs subnet.

If the cameras are on a switch on the LAN, then you need to "manually add" the cameras to the NVR - and the cameras will have the IP address of the LAN ( as will the NVRs WAN port )

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
When you plug a new camera into the NVR PoE ports you DO NOT use the config tool. It can’t find the camera anyway as you found because the computer you were using with the config tool was not on the 10.1.1.x network. You simply let the NVR discover the camera and automatically assign it an IP in the 10.1.1.x range which is what the NVR uses for its PoE ports. Then navigate to the camera web interface to setup/initialize using the blue IE icon.

I never use the configuration tool as it’s not needed, even when attaching the camera to an external switch. It creates more problems than it solves generally.

If attaching to an external switch you simply open a browser and go through the setup/config directly on the camera web interface. By default it will be found at 192.168.1.108. make sure and change the IP to some other number than .108 as any other camera you connect to the switch the first time will also default to that IP and you will end up with an IP conflict.

When you switch back and forth from an external switch and the NVR PoE ports is where you can get in trouble. Choose one and stick with it.

Two questions
1- when you say you “reset” the NVR, what exactly did you do?
2- do you want the camera to be attached to the external switch or the NVR PoE switch?

Show us a screencap of the NVR registration page

more here

Reaction score
When you plug a new camera into the NVR PoE ports you DO NOT use the config tool. It can’t find the camera anyway as you found because the computer you were using with the config tool was not on the 10.1.1.x network. You simply let the NVR discover the camera and automatically assign it an IP in the 10.1.1.x range which is what the NVR uses for its PoE ports. Then navigate to the camera web interface to setup/initialize using the blue IE icon.

I never use the configuration tool as it’s not needed, even when attaching the camera to an external switch. It creates more problems than it solves generally.

If attaching to an external switch you simply open a browser and go through the setup/config directly on the camera web interface. By default it will be found at 192.168.1.108. make sure and change the IP to some other number than .108 as any other camera you connect to the switch the first time will also default to that IP and you will end up with an IP conflict.

When you switch back and forth from an external switch and the NVR PoE ports is where you can get in trouble. Choose one and stick with it.

Two questions
1- when you say you “reset” the NVR, what exactly did you do?
2- do you want the camera to be attached to the external switch or the NVR PoE switch?

Show us a screencap of the NVR registration page

more here

Thanks for the replies, this helps joggle my memory the last time I added a Dahua camera.

Two questions
1- when you say you “reset” the NVR, what exactly did you do? Just reset through the Menu, not a factory reset
2- do you want the camera to be attached to the external switch or the NVR PoE switch? The newest cameras I would prefer to connect directly to the NVR, the other remotely mounted cameras are installed in my barn using a P2P Ubiquiti radio antenna and switch in the barn

Reaction score

Tries resetting one of the cameras using the manual button on the camera, plugged into NVR and attempted to connect using the 192.168.1.108 and nothing, it doesn't connect?? Any suggestions?
*There are no other cameras/devices on the .108 address, I performed an IP scan to be sure

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If it’s plugged into the NVR it won’t be at 192.168.1.108. As I said, If it’s plugged into the NVR as you say, you would get to it via the blue IE icon on the registration page.

It would help to see your NVR registration page screen.

Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense since its plugged into the NVR directly. It doesn't show on the lower pane of the Setup pane, when I try to Initialize it I get an error message "The IP address and default are not in the same section!" so there is no way to use the blue IE web browse link. I'm clearly missing something here.....

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Afraid I don’t know my way around Lorex NVRs but they should be very similar to Dahua units.

I think too many get hung up on “ initialize” and the config tool. It has its place but it is simply an unecessay complication to connect a new camera. . Via the cameras web interface It’s simply 2-3 screens of setting a login/password and checking a box to run P2P (you’re not are you?) , turning on or off automatic updates (turn off) and logging into the camera.

have you tried using the IE button to login to the camera?

Last edited:
Reaction score
"Have you tried using the IE button to login to the camera?" The IE button doesn't connect if the camera doesn't seem to initialize

I tried something different and went back to plugging both cameras that won't initialize into the switch and using the ConfigTool, it worked, at least for now. The cameras show up in the Lorex Live View and everything appears to be working, I would prefer to plug directly into the NVR but so far this is really stumping me as I've successfully added Dahua cameras in the past.

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can check my lorex NVR tomorrow,i have 6 dahua and 2 lorex cameras connected in my nvr.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting. Maybe something Lorex does different? New cameras show up on the registration page and I access them with the IE button and “initialize” them manually ( which consists of 3 web screens with check boxes)

Have installed hundreds this way and never “initialized” via the configuration tool or the initialize button on the NVR.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When my neighbor saw how crappy his Lorex 4k cameras were compared to my Andy cams, he replaced a couple of them and just plugged them into the back of the Lorex NVR and they connected and did all that stuff by itself.

I would suggest a factory reset of the cameras and plug them into the NVR and give it several minutes.

oknoob

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is all i did plug in and wait the nvr recognize.Then log in chrome or edge, with my static ip nvr Addrs and there is the nvr with all my cameras. Then 2nd log in box show up for every single camera. All adjustment i do it in the camera never in the nvr. Planning going BI way soon.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Picked up a couple IPC-T5442TM-AS cams from EmpireTecAndy and I'm having issues getting it work with the Lorex NVR, I've bought cams before from Andy and never had any issues. At first, when the cam was directly plugged directly into the NVR the ConfigTool could not see the camera on the network. I plugged the camera into a switch and the ConfigTool identified and initialized the camera, it shows up on the setup tab but won't won't connect. Previously I was able to initialize and setup through the Lorex software but now it won't play nicely. I'm lost on what to try next, any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi @Usafexplorer

What is the NVR model number?

Thanks