IPC-T5442TM-ASE randomly stopped working

Tnerb93

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have had 3 of the IPC-T5442TM-ASE purchased from Andy via Aliexpress randomly stop working. The first would have been after just over year old and another 2 have done the same a couple of years later at less than 3 years old.

They all just randomly stopped showing up and I have tried resetting and using different cables/ports but I can't get anything happen.

Is this a normal life expectancy for these cameras?
They all just randomly stopped showing up one day and I have tried resetting and using different cables/ports but I can't get anything happen.

They are installed under the eaves of the house so not exposed to direct rain or weather.

Could just be a coincidence but I have a mix of the 3.6mm and variable zoom models and all 3 dead are the 3.6mm.

Is there any other troubleshooting I can try?

I am hesitant to buy more if this is a normal lifespan as they quite expensive to get in Australia and I have had other much cheaper cameras outlast these.

Thanks

Brent

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have about 10 fixed-focal IPC-T5442TM-ASE, some about 3 years old, and haven't had a lick of trouble out of them. About half of them are totally unprotected from the weather.

Tnerb93

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you use a good dielectric grease on the cables?
No I will when I install new ones but the connections are inside the roof so I don’t really see how this could affect it as it’s 100% dry and sealed from weather.

If it is an issue with the Ethernet cable connection getting moisture is that it they are dead and can’t be fixed?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just because it is inside the roof doesn't mean it isn't susceptible.

There is temperature change condensation that happens, so even if the cables are never exposed to water, without the dielectric grease it can still get corrosion due to humidity in the air.

Deioxit has been known to get the corrosion off you can't see and make a camera working again.

So has cutting off the connector and putting on a new one.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No I will when I install new ones but the connections are inside the roof so I don’t really see how this could affect it as it’s 100% dry and sealed from weather.

If it is an issue with the Ethernet cable connection getting moisture is that it they are dead and can’t be fixed?
Even if they are in loft soffits there still can me moisture which can get into the RJ45 jack if not insulated correctly. Check the male and female jacks for burnt pins. What you usually find is the POE circuity on the camera motherboard goes pop (which if you are any good with electronics you can repair) failing that you will probably find powering by 12v usually still powers the camera and will function.
Unless totally shot...

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I installed 4 x 3.6mm last summer for a client and had one that would randomly disconnect from the nvr. Replaced it a few weeks ago . Brought it home, reset it, and so so far it’s running on my blue iris machine.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
The reason they corrode is simple. Two dissimilar metals in the presence of a electrolyte (water)
will cause bimetallic corrosion. The humidity + gold plated who knows what for pins and "BINGO
we have a winner" a year or few down the road.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Check the male and female jacks for burnt pins.
The reason they corrode is simple.
Just adding to this discussion, based on my several experiences with this, pins could be burnt but that's only after some time with a high resistance connection from corrosion. The gold color pins will turn black or green. In some cases it possible to resuscitate a male end with a brush, and a female end with careful scraping. Better to replace a corroded connector, but if I can save a camera pigtail, that's worth an hour's work to me. Another thing I found when waterproofing connections is that "pretty darn good" is worse than nothing at all. If there's any way a smidgen of moisture can get into a connection, pretty darn good will prevent it from ever escaping or evaporating. I'm not quite as big as others with dielectric grease. When I'm highly confident of a "perfect" waterproofed connection I use it only on gaskets and not the pins. On the less than perfect sealing jobs I use it on the pins also.

Tnerb93

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I’ll try some suggestions. The pins all still look brand new and have no corrosions what so ever.
Although I never used dielectric grease (I will in future) they were sealed with the rubber grommets and I taped the connections as well.
I didn’t realise these POE cameras were so temperamental with moisture.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like I said, corrosion can still be there even if they look clean. Deoxit has saved many cameras. Worth a shot.

The rubber grommet things are false sense of security, but even if that and taping worked, you then trapped in moisture from the air.