IR Cannon w/Adjustable Focus

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
bigredfish, thank you for the response and links. I'm giving them a try now.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FWIW one of mine also stopped working (dim and flickering badly), but on further investigation it turned out to be my 12V supply that was flaking out. Replaced the supply, and it's back in action.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
cam235, you brilliant son of a gun...
That was absolutely the issue...
I went out, replaced the power supply and that was the stinking problem!
Thank you!!! Again!

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Glad that fixed it. Yeah, I was so sure it was the light itself. I took it down and put up a different known-good unit on the same supply. Had the same issue and only then realized it. The cheap 12V supplies I used are not the bargain they seemed at first.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Where to buy this now? :p

View attachment 11323

Sample Video of the 4500mW IR Cannon going through adjustments manually.. the cannon is just a nickname, it could also be considered an IR Laser as this is basically what you'll find on those cameras.

Camera: 4MP Dahua w/6mm Optics (HFW4421D-AS)

Places to buy, these will get ~$60 on sale:
CCTV 5 90 Adjustable Focus 4500mW Surveillance IR Illuminator LED Array 850nm 10 100M-in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Surveillance Cameras Night Vision Fill Light 850nm Zoom IR LED Array 4500mW Light 15 100m Angle 5 80degree Manual Adjustment-in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

View attachment 11322

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Arjun, I am wondering the same thing.
I tried "Eprid.com", but the order page and communication link error out.

I am also on the hunt for the same "cannon" illuminator in the 940nm IR range.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can't find a source for these online anymore. If you're into do-it-yourself projects, you can use a lens with 850nm IR LED(s) to get a similar effect. I made the one in the photo below a year ago and it has been working well since. I had to come up with my own LED current driver. As I recall it was around 750 mA at 1.6 V.

Attachments

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can't find a source for these online anymore. If you're into do-it-yourself projects, you can use a lens with 850nm IR LED(s) to get a similar effect. I made the one in the photo below a year ago and it has been working well since. I had to come up with my own LED current driver. As I recall it was around 750 mA at 1.6 V.
VERY COOL! Now you have me thinking.... I wonder if I can take apart an 850nm IR Illuminator and replace them with 940nm.... Looks like I have some research to do!

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us prospective buyers know :) I wonder why we can't find this type of IR illuminator online anymore. Although Starlight cameras would probably be more than adequate, it's always good to have an IR illuminator handy --- more choices -- more flexibility in placement and orientation

Arjun, thank you for the lead. I have actually tried to purchase this from CCTV twice.... Both times they took the purchase order, claimed to have sent the product, then after a month or so of haggling, claimed it got lost in the mail, and refund me.
Crazy, right?

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here are some other options in case anyone ever stumbles across this thread again... all the reviews are pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR110-114-Outdoor-200-300ft-Illuminator/dp/B003ZX1M88

https://www.amazon.com/Univivi-Infrared-Illuminator-Waterproof-Security/dp/B01G6K407Q

https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR130-198-Outdoor-300-400ft-Illuminator/dp/B004F9LF7E

https://www.amazon.com/Tendelux-Illuminator-BI8-Powerful-Infrared/dp/B0771GQMPT

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Univivi IR Illuminator 90 Degree Wide Angle 8-LEDs IR Infrared Light Security Cameras.

Some of those listed above even have video footage uploaded from people who purchased it. Almost all of them have before and after pictures from reviews as well. Each of those brands also has a larger lineup selection in addition to what I posted. I simply chose the ones with the highest reviews.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Note that those arent the same. The one you link to shows to be fixed focus 50M/30 degrees 6W light and the one @VorlonFrog linked to is 30-80M/5-80 degrees 4.5W adjustable focus

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently bought a few of these lights from this seller - unfortunately, the mounting threads aren't cut properly (which means that you can't get more than about 1/4 turn on the mount) but even worse, they don't focus down past about 25 degrees.

I've just filed a dispute with AliExpress since the seller wasn't particularly helpful when I contacted them about these issues and the time was about to run out on being able to file a dispute.

luke duke

n3wb
Reaction score
The threads on mine are metric. M6-1.0

I used this to attach it to a mount.
RAM MOUNTS (RAP-B-379U-M616 1" Tough-Ball with M6-1 X 6 mm Male Threaded Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D8WIVUI/

I still need to install it outside.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That 3-lens, 5-80 degree adjustable focus 850nm light from Aliexpress looks like one I got several years ago. Cheaply made, of course; the angle adjustment knob was very stiff but it did work. Eventually an internal circuit failed and I cut it open to have a look. Interestingly, most of the interior volume is a cylindrical finned heatsink that the three IR LEDs sit on, and the whole thing slides back and forth inside the case behind the lenses, to change the illumination angle.
LongRangeIR_2016-11-19.jpg