IR Distortion

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can someone give me some hints on how to remove this distortion? I am using the Hikvision mini dome 4mp. I am new to these types of cameras and am not sure if it's something I did wrong or if it's the camera.

Thanks!

Attachments

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! It's obvious it is the lack of a foam ring. I don't seem to have one. I bought the camera used from B&H photo. Any ideas where to get one?

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's a bummer! Does the foam ring detach? I figured it would be fixed by glue or something

bearclaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The foam ring is just friction fit after the lens has been focused and glued. It has a notch out of it for the Day/Night sensor. It would be easy to make one if you cant get one elsewhere. I can get you the measurements later if you like?

Attachments

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's really awesome of you. If you have time I would really appreciate it. I bought it used from B&H photo so I got a good desk on it. Hate to send it back.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's really awesome of you. If you have time I would really appreciate it. I bought it used from B&H photo so I got a good desk on it. Hate to send it back.
tell us the model and deal...it might not be as good as you think..

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am up for suggestion about a better set-up. I use the turret cameras on the patio and in the garage. They seem to illuminate at night better. Thinking about two bullets on the outside but I'm really liking the look of the domes much more. The mini ptz looks interesting but I think it will be difficult outside for me. My roof line has a deep slope.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am up for suggestion about a better set-up. I use the turret cameras on the patio and in the garage. They seem to illuminate at night better. Thinking about two bullets on the outside but I'm really liking the look of the domes much more. The mini ptz looks interesting but I think it will be difficult outside for me. My roof line has a deep slope.
Don't use bullets you'll have issues with spiders... 134 is way too much for that camera you can get it new for about the same....

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, any suggestions on mounting a dome camera when my roof has a steep pitch?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Really? I mostly saw it for $200. Where do you buy from?
there are a million threads discussing how and where to purchase cameras...
The dahua starlight mini dome is another great alternative that will perform better in low light.

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh okay thanks. Sorry, I'm new to all of this. This is the first time I've ever been in an attic. I have largely been scared off of buying from AliExpress due to firmware issues.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh okay thanks. Sorry, I'm new to all of this. This is the first time I've ever been in an attic. I have largely been scared off of buying from AliExpress due to firmware issues.
THere are sellers that are known here that sell international versions...they are reliable..you can update firmware on arrival to confirm...
this dahua is available for about 130 IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks so much! Last question, I swear. Now that I have several Hikvision cameras, would it be crazy to throw a Dahua in the mix? Should I have all of one brand? I do plan on adding an NVR but not sure if the dahua will connect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much! Last question, I swear. Now that I have several Hikvision cameras, would it be crazy to throw a Dahua in the mix? Should I have all of one brand? I do plan on adding an NVR but not sure if the dahua will connect.
if you want to use the cameras smart features like line crossing then yes stick with one brand...note that you can find the hikvision camera for less as well, new..
Alternatively consider using a VMS - software based NVR running on a pc...blue iris is popular here and only 60 dollars..this will allow much greater functionality and flexibility.