IR for ALPR

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^ Thanks so much for the info. I am trying to get more IR for one of my LPR cams as sometimes the plates are not very good. Hoping I can solve it with more IR. But I cannot place the illuminator close to the cam. It will be at about 25-30 degrees off axis. Not sure it will help.
Maybe you can use a POE splitter at the LPR camera for power and mount the IR near the camera

1681227892782.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Maybe you can use a POE splitter at the LPR camera for power and mount the IR near the camera
Yes, I was thinking this. Probably get another POE switch that has much higher wattage and then split it at the cam box. I need to see how much the 5241 z12 pulls and how much the port can supply. How much headroom I already have.

Reaction score
So I did some digging and found that my current POE switch is POE+ with 30 watts per port. The cams are less than 11 watts so splitting the POE for an illuminator should work OK.

I have to do some maintenance on my LPR box this spring, so I may give this a try.

Cooltiger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I think that this splitter takes all the power to the 12volt plug and therefore the RJ45 has no power for the PoE camera. That is what happened to me on a similar looking plug. It is to power a non PoE camera.
You are correct. Unfortunately you power the POE camera with an additional splitter on the 12v POE splitter. The POE splitter only passes data and not power.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I still need to get my night settings dialed in, but I will keep this in mind if I need more light.

Crest6010

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's how I'm powering my LED spotlight.
2 POE+ switch ports combined and run over single CAT6 and then split back out to the separate POE+ female connectors on the Combiner/Splitter's Y-Connector.
Plugged into the Y-Connector are a POE splitter and a POE camera.
Nothing is plugged into the POE Splitter's RJ-45. Its 12VDC connector powers the IR spotlight.

I'm housing the Y-Connector and POE Splitter inside a Zulkit Junction Box ABS Plastic Dustproof Waterproof IP65 Universal Electrical Boxes Project Enclosure with Fixed Ear Black 6.22 x 3.54 x 2.36 inch
The cables enter and exit the junction box via appropriately sized cable glands mounted to the box.

Reaction score
2 POE+ switch ports combined and run over single CAT6 and then split back out to the separate POE+ female connectors on the Combiner/Splitter's Y-Connector.
Why combine two POE ports? I don't get that.

My plan is to just split off one POE port. The cam is 11 watts and the POE IR illuminator is 2 watts. The POE ports is 30 watts.

Thinking of something like one of these.

Amazon.com: REVOTECH 2 Port POE Extender POE+ Repeater 100 Meters(328 ft) Extender 1 in 2 Out Comply IEEE 802.3af/at Standard 10,100Mbps for Security POE Camera Over Cat5/Cat6 or UTP Cables(POE5003) : Electronics

Amazon.com: LINOVISION Mini 2 Port POE Extender IEEE 802.3af/at POE Repeater Up to 1000ft Power Over Ethernet Over Cat5/6 Cable, POE Splitter to 2 POE Devices Like IP Cameras, IP Phone, Wireless AP : Electronics

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why combine two POE ports? I don't get that.
  1. I already had both the combiner/splitter and POE splitter on hand and wanted to see whether that combination of devices would work.
  2. The POE splitter I have is rated for 12VDC 2A output, which matches the input specs for my IR spotlight. I didn't want to count on being able to split that and power a Color4K-X with its 12VDC 1A input requirements.
  3. The camera I needed to power was several feet away and I didn't want to run separate power and ethernet runs.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What do these angles mean? My LPR is at 25% to the road.

EDIT: Duh, I imagine 15% is the beam angle. I got confused with all the talk of camera angle.

Last edited:

Crest6010

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I got my Illuminator today and found a 12 VDC 1.6 Amp Power supply. Plugged it in and I can see the red LEDs when I cover the light detector.

I don't have the mount for it yet, but I am thinking I am going to put this thing 2-3 foot to the left (ahead of) the camera. I have it lying on a rock pointed to where it will about point. Here is where it will be mounted. It it pretty low off the ground, but the ground goes down and then back up to the road.

IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 8.33.53 PM.jpeg

This is what I have been getting during the day. Pretty pleased when the weather is good. (and to be fair- I just realized tonight I had left the plastic film on the camera)

I have the 15 degree Illuminator. I wonder if this distance will work for me, or if I should just trench a cable to close the gap.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 8.43.44 PM.png

Before the illuminator (general settings). (when I use night setting I currently have- it doesn't really look much different- but I realize it is for plates)

IMG_1453.PNG

IMG_1452.PNG

Any feedback here? Is that enough illumination or should I break out the spade and start digging?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got my Illuminator today and found a 12 VDC 1.6 Amp Power supply. Plugged it in and I can see the red LEDs when I cover the light detector.

I don't have the mount for it yet, but I am thinking I am going to put this thing 2-3 foot to the left (ahead of) the camera. I have it lying on a rock pointed to where it will about point. Here is where it will be mounted. It it pretty low off the ground, but the ground goes down and then back up to the road.

IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

View attachment 162301

This is what I have been getting during the day. Pretty pleased when the weather is good. (and to be fair- I just realized tonight I had left the plastic film on the camera)

I have the 15 degree Illuminator. I wonder if this distance will work for me, or if I should just trench a cable to close the gap.

View attachment 162302

Before the illuminator (general settings). (when I use night setting I currently have- it doesn't really look much different- but I realize it is for plates)

View attachment 162304

View attachment 162305

Any feedback here? Is that enough illumination or should I break out the spade and start digging?
That should work. Just remember you need to run a much faster shutter than is shown here at night LOL

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

View attachment 162301

View attachment 162302

View attachment 162304

View attachment 162305

It is best to have the IR as close to the camera as possible, see the below post. It should be fine mounting right next to the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E camera, at 132 feet the IR width is just under 35 feet

1683595159493.png