IR "halo", how to fix?

Tjames

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi There,

Newer member, with a new Dahua system. At night when IR is active some of the cameras get a "halo" effect on them. It isnt foggy, and the picture is still clear, but theres a distinct halo. Its almost like the lens flare affect you can add in photoshop, except on my surveillance cameras lol.

Anyways, wondering how I can remove it from the nighttime IR, as it obviously blocks the image a bit, it also creates motion and the camera is constantly recording motion when there isnt any at night.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will need to provide model numbers of the cameras. Also post a screen shot of the problem.
If you have dome cameras , clean the dome, but there are problematic at night.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi There,

Newer member, with a new Dahua system. At night when IR is active some of the cameras get a "halo" effect on them. It isnt foggy, and the picture is still clear, but theres a distinct halo. Its almost like the lens flare affect you can add in photoshop, except on my surveillance cameras lol.

Anyways, wondering how I can remove it from the nighttime IR, as it obviously blocks the image a bit, it also creates motion and the camera is constantly recording motion when there isnt any at night.
Welcome @Tjames

Definitely post a few pictures to assist along with the model of cameras.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you filming through a window?
It looks like the cam is mounted on the wall? Try moving the cam slightly left/right up/down to see if the glow/halo moves or disappears. The other thing it could be is another distance light source so go outside and take a look.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like there is snow on the ground, this will cause light bounce back. It also may be bouncing off the over hang of the car port.

Also a complete screen shot, not a partial shot. We can not see what else is reflection light.
It would be better if it was a complete 30 second video

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay I attached a picture.

I have these models: N444E42 kit, which included the N41B1P2 NVR and N41BK2 cameras.
Thanks @Tjames

I'm adding the following info for others who many want to know more about the kit you picked up

N444E42 = kit

N41BK22 4 MP Network Camera ( Eyeball form factor, aka Turret )
Image Sensor 1/3-in. CMOS Effective Pixels 2688 (H) x 1520 (V), 4 MP

N41B1P2 4K NVR

datasheet here:

1576602843995.png

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
No Foam rings to worry about in those cams, I would agree ist a IR bounce perhaps off your roof or something metallic like siding or a tin roof.

Tjames

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you filming through a window?
No its outside

It looks like the cam is mounted on the wall? Try moving the cam slightly left/right up/down to see if the glow/halo moves or disappears. The other thing it could be is another distance light source so go outside and take a look.
Its mounted under a deck, but I could try moving it around. There is metal underneath the deck so maybe some reflection happening.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe also try going out there at night, and use a towel to completely cover the camera, and then watch the recorded footage to see if the reflection / artifact goes away once the camera becomes blocked from it surroundings by the towel. And then if it does, you could move the towel slowly at a about 2m away from the camera, and eventually by guess and check you should be able to block out whatever is reflecting and causing the artifact.