is 200mbps powerline enough for the camera?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to install 3mp cameras for my sister but have no way to run cables. I think I'll go with the powerline idea. Never done it but since the POE LAn port is only 10mbps, figure I should be able to get away with four 200mbps powerline adapters? Would that work or do i need 500mbps?

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It will work. I helped setup a friends system and we were forced to use power line adapters in a few locations. Been up for about 2 months now and so far no issues.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Never done it but since the POE LAn port is only 10mbps,
If this is an NVR PoE port that you are referring to - it's more likely to be 10/100 Mbps.
You could work on the basis that a 3MP camera will stream at around 4 - 8 Mbps.
On the PLAs - you will likely find that the LAN port is 10/100Mpbs, and worth checking the actual throughput achieved with the tool supplied, in reality it will be well below the claimed 200Mbps.
But either way - it should work perfectly well. As long as you don't site it near your Chromecast so it kills the WiFi.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just stay clear of the netgear PLA as they trend to lockup with heavy use and run hot with cameras.

dalepa

Reaction score
I use the ActionTec brand, never had an issue with them. The problem sometimes is that you still need to power the cam with yet another power cord, so you end up with 2 cables running to your camera. I also use a POE a adapter with the PL which allows for a longer camera placement with one cable.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just stay clear of the netgear PLA as they trend to lockup with heavy use and run hot with cameras.
I could not agree with this statement more, I have several netgear PLA that i have throw in the trash and almost gave up on PLAs until i tried another brand, currently I am a TPLink fan

Reaction score
The newer Netgear PLC adapters work. I'm currently using the latest PL1200 and it's been running faultlessly. My former Powerline 500 XAVB-something I forgot, locked up occasionally. They're the ones that look like little cubes and appear to be no longer sold by Netgeat.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The newer Netgear PLC adapters work. I'm currently using the latest PL1200 and it's been running faultlessly. My former Powerline 500 XAVB-something I forgot, locked up occasionally. They're the ones that look like little cubes and appear to be no longer sold by Netgeat.
Good to know thanks

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks, I'll look into the Netgear PLC, I'm going with the POE Injector + POwerline I bought the exact adapter shown above from amazon for about $10

regarding NVR POE port speed. the the lower end HIKVision NVR is only 10mbps