Is a dedicated BI PC/Server best for my situation?

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a new PC for my significant other. This PC would be rarely used for their purposes, probably just twice a month for less than an hour or so, and not to do anything intensive. Just general browsing, printing out a grocery list and checking email. I also am planning on getting a PC to run BI. Figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone and save some money to boot. I see that the recommendation is to use a dedicated PC/Server for BI, but I figured since the PC would be used rarely for non-BI purposes this could be an exception.

What I'm wondering is what advantages would I lose if I went this route? I understand that generally the increased power consumption would be a concern since the system is running 24/7 but since again the PC will be used for non-intensive non-BI tasks rarely I figure I shouldn't need to beef up on the specs much at all beyond what would be recommended for my camera setup.

My router doesn't support VLANs, and I don't want to change it out for a higher grade one as it is ISP provided & is required for several TV features as a part of our bundle, but I read about the dual-NIC setup on the Wiki and figured I could do that. Just wondering if security would also be a concern as well.

Thanks in advance for any input.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Most setups require a 100 dollar pc, 150 if you want something a bit nicer. A modern efficient pc draws under 20-30w on the average BI load.
If you go with BI get a separate pc or murphy's law will strike.
You have the same security concerns with an NVR - actually even more with an NVR unless you setup a vpn.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Please read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI.

Here is a network diagram that shows a dual NIC setup.

Network Topology 4.JPG

This PC would be rarely used for their purposes, probably just twice a month for less than an hour or so, and not to do anything intensive. Just general browsing, printing out a grocery list and checking email.
I would find it hard to believe that someone would check email only twice a month.

It would depend on how may cams you get and their data rate. When you have an issue on your machine, if there is other stuff running on it, then troubleshooting becomes harder.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Always better to have dedicated so you don't affect things in some way. But I wouldn't see that infrequent of use to be much of a problem. I don't browse from mine other than downloading/updating what needs to be there and accessing cams now and then. I do run some other relatively trivial servers/services on the same machine (time, FTP, backup, etc.). Depends how critical you view your system I suppose.

You can run the server headless accessed via RDP or similar so some savings there as far as what's required for a second machine if you go that route. You don't in most cases really need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. for it (other than for setup and having available if needed for some reason).

Which TV service? There may be some work-arounds that will let you put another router up front or a VPN server inside your network if the ISP router needs to be there.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Please read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI.

Here is a network diagram that shows a dual NIC setup.

View attachment 72611

I would find it hard to believe that someone would check email only twice a month.

It would depend on how may cams you get and their data rate. When you have an issue on your machine, if there is other stuff running on it, then troubleshooting becomes harder.
Thanks for the diagram.

I should have been more specific. SO has a tablet that she uses. The only time she uses her PC is to print out a new grocery list which is bi-weekly, to reply to emails in which she will be typing a lot so she wants to use a keyboard which is also rare, and occasionally perhaps once a month she will need to fill out a work related form online which doesn't display properly tablet even when 'display as desktop' is selected. I know tablets have wireless printing, keyboards, etc and other work arounds but she's in a habit.

I'm planning to only get 2 cams, not sure of the data rate yet.

If I have any questions when attempting to set up dual NIC I'll be sure to inquire.

Reaction score
Always better to have dedicated so you don't affect things in some way. But I wouldn't see that infrequent of use to be much of a problem. I don't browse from mine other than downloading/updating what needs to be there and accessing cams now and then. I do run some other relatively trivial servers/services on the same machine (time, FTP, backup, etc.). Depends how critical you view your system I suppose.

You can run the server headless accessed via RDP or similar so some savings there as far as what's required for a second machine if you go that route. You don't in most cases really need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. for it (other than for setup and having available if needed for some reason).

Which TV service? There may be some work-arounds that will let you put another router up front or a VPN server inside your network if the ISP router needs to be there.
Ok, thanks.

Verizon FiosTV. I'm aware of several ways to get around using the Fios router (G3100 in my case) like using a moca bridge for example. But, the new Verizon router is actually pretty nice as far as consumer grade routers go. Supports ax for example. It's included for free in my TV+Internet bundle so I figured why spend money on another router + loose some features.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, thanks.

Verizon FiosTV. I'm aware of several ways to get around using the Fios router (G3100 in my case) like using a moca bridge for example. But, the new Verizon router is actually pretty nice as far as consumer grade routers go. Supports ax for example. It's included for free in my TV+Internet bundle so I figured why spend money on another router + loose some features.
Yeah, they look OK. I've not used one yet. In-coming VPN server is the big thing missing. I believe that all it offers is pass-through for outgoing. Other ways to do that though if/when you're ready.

Much cheaper than the MoCA bridge if you decide to go that route is to get one of the older FIOS routers and use that for the same purpose. You can find them for next to nothing. The new FIOS One/mini boxes run Ethernet/wireless. Still some of the same complications that you'll have with any other router up front for in-coming services (remote DVR operation, app, etc.). And VPN will break most of that regardless.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I just converted to MOCA and an Asus router on our FiOS system. Basically, plug and play but I was careful to record and reserve the IP addresses of the set top boxes on the Asus. Yeah, I had to buy a MOCA adapter but that expense allowed me to do away with the POS router that FiOS supplies and made a VPN a point and click operation.

Reaction score
Yeah, they look OK. I've not used one yet. In-coming VPN server is the big thing missing. I believe that all it offers is pass-through for outgoing. Other ways to do that though if/when you're ready.

Much cheaper than the MoCA bridge if you decide to go that route is to get one of the older FIOS routers and use that for the same purpose. You can find them for next to nothing. The new FIOS One/mini boxes run Ethernet/wireless. Still some of the same complications that you'll have with any other router up front for in-coming services (remote DVR operation, app, etc.). And VPN will break most of that regardless.
Yup only supports pass-through for outgoing. As I understand it being able to VPN in's only use case is for when not at home?

I will definitely setup dual NIC. I read the Wiki on it and have the diagram from samplenhold. When I am at the point that I'll be putting together the camera system I'll post any problems or questions I have regarding dual NIC if they arise in the appropriate area.

Yeah that's what I meant. I frequent another forum DSLReports if you're familiar with it that deals with ISP related stuff. Over there it's a given that an old Verizon router is best to use as a moca bridge so I just naturally use both interchangeably.

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I just converted to MOCA and an Asus router on our FiOS system. Basically, plug and play but I was careful to record and reserve the IP addresses of the set top boxes on the Asus. Yeah, I had to buy a MOCA adapter but that expense allowed me to do away with the POS router that FiOS supplies and made a VPN a point and click operation.
I was originally planning to do away with the Verizon router completely but I read that when using a moca bridge other than a VZ router serving as one the STBs don't get firmware updates. Apparently that is one of the 'features' that doesn't have a work around without I know I have TiVo & cable cards as an option but we just have one STB so it's actually cheaper just to rent it.

The 3100 works fine so far for us, but I'm keeping in mind that I have the option to bring my own router into the mix. Glad to know the process was smooth for you when and if I go that route. Again the router rental is included in our bundle so at least it's not costing me anything. If it was that would be a different story.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup only supports pass-through for outgoing. As I understand it being able to VPN in's only use case is for when not at home?
Yes, to provide a secured entry point into your network to access cams and/or whatever other purposes from remote devices.

Basically makes the remote device a client on your local network. (Not strictly true, there are some differences, but serves for purposes of explanation.)

Reaction score
If the STBs don't get updates through a MOCA I should have converted a week earlier. The new menu/guide is the pits!
Haha Yeah, I don't like it either. I'm actually still on the VMS1100 STB as I don't have a 4k display that I use for TV and I couldn't get the upgrade fee waived. But ever since the new UI the VMS1100 has been slow. I figured it could just be them working out the kinks so I'd give it a week or so, but it's still so slow. So I ordered the new VMS4100/One Thursday and it's arriving tomorrow, so that should help. Hoping new hardware with a better CPU, etc will help.

Reaction score
Yes, to provide a secured entry point into your network to access cams and/or whatever other purposes from remote devices.

Basically makes the remote device a client on your local network. (Not strictly true, there are some differences, but serves for purposes of explanation.)
Understood.

Thanks.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not the slowness, a new "feature", it's the way the layout changed. It's just a POS now, worse that a plain piece of paper.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If the STBs don't get updates through a MOCA I should have converted a week earlier. The new menu/guide is the pits!
Ahhhh! I was wondering why I hadn't seen any change to the guide after they'd sent something a while ago. Mine are behind another router. Must not be able to push it through.

Another advantage I guess! ; )