Is A GeoVision Camera and A Hikvision NVR Compatible?

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would try to connect the GV camera on the regular network first with a small power adapter or poe injector, see if you are able to detect it with the GV tool. (don't plug it into the NVR)

I say this because the hikvision built-in POE doesn't play nice with 3rd party cameras...

When was the last time your GV camera worked?

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would try to connect the GV camera on the regular network first with a small power adapter or poe injector, see if you are able to detect it with the GV tool. (don't plug it into the NVR)

I say this because the hikvision built-in POE doesn't play nice with 3rd party cameras...

Ok, I bought a PoE injector and will try it out later today.

I guess not since I have the GV camera sitting on my desk and plugged into the NVR which is on my desk and it still can't see it. Even the GV program can't see the camera because it keeps asking me to configure the port. So I've tried ports 80, 8000, 15000 but still no video. However, port 15000 at least does something because the NVR screen for that camera is blank and no longer says "No Link". But if I use any other port number, it says "No Link". The error messages are also different because with port 15000, the error message is "unknown error" and with any other port number, it is IP camera does not exist".

The GV camera worked a year ago when I had it plugged into a switch first and then to the server which had the GV software on it.

What other port numbers could I try?

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what model of camera do you have, if you don't know the history of the camera hit the reset button :) i had a GV-EDR1100 connected to my Hikvision NVR for testing working using ONVIF. the geovison camera supports ONVIF (Profile S) but my NVR dose not support Profile S so the control to the camera was limited. i.e viwew and record only.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What other port numbers could I try?
nmap will tell you all the port numbers where there is a service listening on all the active IP addresses on the subnet the PC is connected to.
At the command prompt, replace the IP address range with your own. The 0/24 means 'all addresses 1-254' Example:
nmap 192.168.1.0/24

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what model of camera do you have, if you don't know the history of the camera hit the reset button :) i had a GV-EDR1100 connected to my Hikvision NVR for testing working using ONVIF. the geovison camera supports ONVIF (Profile S) but my NVR dose not support Profile S so the control to the camera was limited. i.e viwew and record only.

Model is GV-MFD130.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
nmap will tell you all the port numbers where there is a service listening on all the active IP addresses on the subnet the PC is connected to.
At the command prompt, replace the IP address range with your own. The 0/24 means 'all addresses 1-254' Example:
nmap 192.168.1.0/24
Oh ok. I'll give it a try. Thx

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
default login....

Username: admin
Password: admin
IP Address: 192.168.0.10
Right. I'm fairly certain I tried that combination but I'll try it again.

Would you know the default port number? That, I can't find unless it's 15000. Thx

Last edited:

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

UPDATE: I connected the PoE injector to the camera and then plugged the camera straight into my laptop and ran the GV device manager program but the software still did NOT see the GV camera!

I then looked and looked and luckily found the original power supply for the GV camera and connected it instead and ran the program again and it STILL DIDN'T see the camera!

HOW can it NOT see the camera? It's a GV camera and I'm running it straight to my laptop and through a GV program?!

ALL 4 lights on the GV camera are ON and the data transmission light is orange and blinking just like it is supposed to do so I don't get it.

The GV program suggests that the problem is that my wireless adapter and the camera are not on the same LAN and then it keeps asking me to configure the port for my wireless adapter.

So, I have tried ports 80, 80000, 8080, and the default 15000 that comes up, when I first run the program, but none of them are correct since the camera is never found by the software.

I'm guessing but it looks like I'm not giving it the right port on which to find the camera. Could that be correct?

Or if the camera's firmware is out of date, could that keep it from being found by the software?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
suggests that the problem is that my wireless adapter
It's a GV camera and I'm running it straight to my laptop
These are contradictory.
Wireless connections can be troublesome when running these searcher type programs.
It would be best to connect the laptop directly to your LAN, not via wireless.
You were going to try an nmap scan to see if there were any unknown devices, hopefully the camera, on the LAN.
What was the result?

@copex has advised that the camera default IP address is 192.168.0.10
With your laptop also set to an IP address in that range (eg 192.168.0.200) can you ping the 192.168.0.10 address that the camera may be using?
An nmap simple scan for that entire range would be
nmap 192.168.0.0/24

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These are contradictory.
Wireless connections can be troublesome when running these searcher type programs.
You were going to try an nmap scan to see if there were any unknown devices, hopefully the camera, on the LAN.
What was the result?

With your laptop also set to an IP address in that range (eg 192.168.0.200) can you ping the 192.168.0.10 address that the camera may be using?
nmap 192.168.0.0/24

Sorry. You are correct as usual. :) I do have the camera plugged directly into my laptop but it's still asking me to configure my wireless adapter. Is that how my laptop communicates with the camera despite it being plugged into the ethernet port?

I'll do the nmap scan today and see. I'd forgotten about that.

I will set my laptop adapter to an IP address in the camera's default range and try to ping it and let you know. Thx!

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here
These are contradictory.
What was the result?

nmap 192.168.0.0/24

Something went wrong. Here is the screenshot:

upload_2017-2-24_8-45-57.png

Update: I was NOT able to ping the camera using 192.168.0.10 after setting my wireless adapter to 192.168.0.200. So, the camera's IP address must be something else?

Last edited:

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These are contradictory.
What was the result?

nmap 192.168.0.0/24
I got a different result with my wireless adapter running. But it didn't see the camera for some reason. See below:

upload_2017-2-24_8-52-59.png

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is your firewall on?

GV-IP Device Utility will find cameras even if they are not on the same ip range, don't use wireless, connect directly to the camera, ensure the firewall is off, on the GV-IP Device Utility you can ensure you have selected the correct interface.

before you give-up use the reset button to factory reset the device

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
is your firewall on?

GV-IP Device Utility will find cameras even if they are not on the same ip range, don't use wireless, connect directly to the camera, ensure the firewall is off, on the GV-IP Device Utility you can ensure you have selected the correct interface.

Yes, my firewall is on so I will turn it off and try again. Thx.

What happens if I factory reset the camera?

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
we install a lot of Geovision systems, sometimes resetting the camera you can then find it using the GV-IP Device utility......

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
is your firewall on?

I reset the camera but still no luck. I just don't get it. :/

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UPDATE: I just got my GV Utility Device program to see my GV camera! But purely by accident of course lol. What happened was I ended up configuring my RealTek Family Controller (apprently this is the ethernet controller!) during the setup process and voila! The software finally saw the camera!

And then I set the IP address of the ethernet controller to the same range as the camera, along with setting the address of the DNS server the same as the default gateway and bam! I now have a video feed within the GV program! Woo Hoo!!!

So then I connected the GV camera to the Hikvision NVR and tried to find it there but it didn't, so no video there which is where I really need it.

HOWEVER, the camera feed is "black" instead of saying "no link" so that is progress. There must be a wrong setting somewhere in the NVR that is preventing the video from getting through.

I feel like I'm almost there so any further help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UPDATE: I finally just got my GV Utility Device program to see my GV camera! Woo hoo! But purely by accident of course haha. What happened was I ended up configuring my RealTek Family Controller (apparently this is the ethernet controller!) during the setup process and voila! The program finally saw the camera!

Then I set the IP address of the ethernet controller to the same range as the camera, along with setting the address of the DNS server the same as the default gateway and bam! I now have a video feed within the GV program! Woo hoo!!!

So then I connected the GV camera to the Hikvision NVR and tried to find it on there but it didn't, so no video there which is where I really need it.

HOWEVER, the camera feed is "black" instead of saying "no link" so that is progress. There must be a wrong setting somewhere in the NVR that is preventing the video from getting through.

I think I'm almost there so any further help would be greatly appreciated!!!