Is an i5-3470 too old for BI?

gln2

n3wb
Reaction score
My son passed on to me his old PC. If it could run BI reliably I could move my IP cam's video off of my NAS, which would gain me needed space on that device. I've been running QNAP's QVR-Pro for the past few years.

My only cost might be to add memory, I already have a purple storage HD. The PC specs:
Intel Core i5-370 @ 3.2 GHz (4 cores)
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Intel HD Graphics 2500, 2MB, supports Intel Quick Sync
Win 10 on a 256 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD.

Will BI run on this reliabily with 3 IP cams, two 4MP and one 8MP? Or, is this PC too old?
I do have his separate Nvidia Geoforce GTX 970 (8MB) video card if it would help, rather than using the onboard video. It does have 3 integrated fans though, which probably suck up some power.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since it is free, it will work! Someone here is running a 3rd gen with 12 cameras at like 30% CPU.

Do not use the graphics card as that has been problematic with newer versions of BI.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using a GPU and hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not offloading to a GPU.

It is best to just use the GPU now for AI and use substreams for BI.

Follow EVERY optimization in the wiki and you should be fine:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My son passed on to me his old PC. If it could run BI reliably I could move my IP cam's video off of my NAS, which would gain me needed space on that device. I've been running QNAP's QVR-Pro for the past few years.

My only cost might be to add memory, I already have a purple storage HD. The PC specs:
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Will BI run on this reliabily with 3 IP cams, two 4MP and one 8MP? Or, is this PC too old?
I do have his separate Nvidia Geoforce GTX 970 (8MB) video card if it would help, rather than using the onboard video. It does have 3 integrated fans though, which probably suck up some power.
It will work no problem. I have this exact spec running on my friends office. Around 10 or so cams at 4mp and 15fps + deepstack. When you are ready to upgrade the i5-8500 systems are under 200.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm STILL running an i7 3770 with 25 IP cams, 2 USB cams, and 3 blank cams with weather overlays. Glancing over, I see I'm using 16% CPU, though depending on how much is going on outside and light vs dark, it can go as high as around 34%...

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

I run 30+ cameras on an i5-4590 with CPU at 50-60%. And most are current Dahua cameras, not old 2MP ones.

gln2

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your responses. I'm glad I'm good to move forward with a Blue Iris purchase.
I'll have a lot of reading to do here re the install and setup, but it should be worth the system change!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm STILL running an i7 3770 with 25 IP cams, 2 USB cams, and 3 blank cams with weather overlays. Glancing over, I see I'm using 16% CPU, though depending on how much is going on outside and light vs dark, it can go as high as around 34%...
Yeah, it turns out I had a Bad HDD, and no substream support.....and maybe a video driver glitch...... .It runs fine....you need another one? LOL....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is up to you. If the camera AI works well, then go with it. It will certainly help keep the computer CPU down. Many of us do that and not use BI motion (or set it to a longer make time)