Is Blue Iris that much better than iVMS-4200?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Intel Core i5-6500 Intel Xeon E3-1245 v5
3.20 GHz Frequency 3.50 GHz
3.60 GHz
Turbo (1 Core) 3.90 GHz
3.40 GHz
Turbo (All Cores) 3.70 GHz
Cores 4
No
Hyperthreading Yes
No
Overclocking ? No
6 MB
Cache 8 MB

Intel HD Graphics 530 GPU Intel HD Graphics P530
0.35 GHz
GPU frequency 0.35 GHz
1.15 GHz
GPU (Turbo) 0.35 GHz
GPU Generation 9
DirectX Version 12.0
Max. displays 3
Execution units 24

Actually the Xeon is more powerful and robust than the i5 is for about the same money. I really don't know why people don't use it more unless they are planning on overclocking.
Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 family supports 4 cores and also supports the fastest available frequency (3.5 GHz Intel Xeon processor E3-1280), Intel Turbo Boost Technology, and Intel HT Technology.
It is similar to the Intel Core i7 processor, but supports accelerated graphics performance for professional applications, called Intel® HD Graphics P3000§ (available with specific SKUs), as well as
ECC memory.
You are comparing apples to oranges...you chose a powerful xeon...it scores the same as a Skylake i7...Most Skylake processors have Intel HD...not sure why you think i processors don't..that's the entire point of Intel HD...
You Will not find a system with that processor for 300...you don'tneed i7 performance for your load...Skylake and high processors will likely eventually support h.265 hardware acceleration...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have six cameras. Five are 2 MP, one is 3 MP, all are 20 FPS.

The processor load that puts on my 3rd gen (early 2012) i7 processor is 10-15%.

The average person here is going to buy a refurbed Dell or HP box for $300-$400 total. Case, power supply, RAM, HDD for the OS, Windows license and usually a warranty.

I think that's why more people here don't see the value in paying more for a Xeon. Really hard to find a whole Xeon system for $300-$400.

I will eventually upgrade to a newer processor (Skylake or newer) when BI supports hardware acceleration for h.265 streams...

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will have when all said and done at least 6 4MP cameras, running at 30FPS at 1920x1080. Maybe more than I need for quality but I'm anal. Also, the Xeon does support Quick Sync but I'm not sure about h.265. I think that is the E3 1245 V6 version that does that.
Where does a person find a refurbed Dell or HP for that price?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Running (4) 2mp Starlights and (1) Dahua SD59 2mp ptz. Total 5 with (2) 4mp non starlight cams on the way. With 5 cams running 25fps maxed bitrate on a refurbed dell i7 6700 with 8 gigs of ram, 4tb wd purple with direct to disk and all hardware acceleration on I am around 8% CPU and 1.5gb of ram. Only upgrades I want is a second wd purple drive. I may throw 8 more megs of ram in just for future proofing.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, maybe I'll just update to an i5 7500 kaby lake in my computer. I like to build my own, so maybe I'll go that route if it needs no more than that to run this stuff. It is so great to be able to talk to people that actually are good at this stuff. Thanks to all for your help so far. I really appreciate the input.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So no offense but this is SO newb.

You don't need 30fps, but every newb thinks they do.4MP is bullshit, look at the 2MP starlights, YAWN-- Oh, sorry. And you don't need to build your own PC unless you like to throw away money. Also the BS callout of a guy who runs 20 plus installs of BI but your Xeon specs make you a genius.

We see this exact post here a few times a week. Read the forum before embarassing yourself further.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I normally run 15 to 20 fps and will probably revert back to that when these 2 other cams come in. Ken, Blue Iris, and the people that help out with any questions is a hidden gem.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didn't mean to call out anyone. I was just stating a fact. fenderman has been more than kind to answer questions. I learned from him and others that the Xeon is way more than needed.
I am new to this for sure. I am just going by recommendations by some other people that had told me about the 4MP Hikvision turret cameras. So, I really didn't know that the 2MP cameras were better than the Hikvision 4MP turret ones. I am learning so much from all of these forums.
I have read the forums. I have read this forum and that forum. I have watched this video and that video. I have read one and then read another only to find contradicting things from the other one. Then I get so dang confused I don't know which end is up. When I said I had decided on the 4MP cams I was just saying that this is what I have decided to do but now maybe not. I am so confused right now, I think I'll put some of my stuff on hold until I can find the right fit for me.
As for building my own computer, I have always built my own computers. I like to do it. I get satisfaction out of it. I don't know why you would say it would be expensive as I would upgrade the one I have with an i5 7500 and a couple of other things for a little over $400. That's not too bad I would think unless you can steer me to something better, I would definitely be willing to listen.
Can anyone tell me why I don't need 30fps? I see some say yes, I hear you say no. PLEASE help me with this. How is a 2MP starlight better than a 4MP Hikvision? Again, I'm not questioning, just asking to learn. The one thing I have learned is that some people can be kind of mean to others when they are not face to face. I didn't come on here to call anyone out and didn't mean to. I was just showing what I know and found out in the mean time that it was way more than I needed. I have appreciated everyone's input on here and it is helping me, not enough yet to truly understand but I'm getting there. Sorry to fenderman if you took it as a callout as I never intended it to be. Thanks to everyone again for adding your 2cents.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 2mp dahua starlight crushes the 4mp at night. You will not see a difference in quality of 15-20 or 30 fps.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. So no quality difference in the 15-20fps. Okay, thanks again. I'll have to read up on that as to why that is. How can a 2mp be better than a 4mp because the Hikvision is a good quality camera? Not questioning, just learning, but if you have the answer I would be grateful. It is better at night, I see. What about during the day?
I'll go and change my 30fps to 20fps. Thanks for this also.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can't build an i5-7500 for 400 unless you steal the OS...
See the dahua starlight varifocal thread and you will see why...

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's your money. Build what you want. The money I saved I put into a poe switch and other hardware. Definitely read up on the Starlight thread. These guys have done plenty of testing and comparing with multiple camera's. Most of us buy our Dahua's from Andy.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, I understand but I need a computer to run this as fenderman pretty much thinks my cpu won't cut it which I probably agree with. What would you do, if you had to get a different computer? I'm willing to listen.
What is the name of the company that Andy works for? I found the starlight at CCTVPro, is that the place? Thanks for all the help HoundDog.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out the Dahua sub-forum. There should be a pinned thread at the top about the Starlight series. There are many different camera models within that series.

Look in that for the link to the review thread for the 5231 turret. The first post in that thread should explain about how the larger Sony sensor in the cam helps it have great image quality at 2 MP. IMO, 4 MP cameras may have some advantage during the day where you can zoom in on pictures/recordings a little more before they blur out, but ... 4 MPs in low-light conditions almost always yield horrible recording. To me, the Starlights are the best all around cameras out there. And with the varifocal model, you can zoom the lens in/out to precisely where you need it for where you mounted it, so you're not wasting pixels recording the siding of your house at the expense of what you really want to capture.

That thread also gives a link to Andy's store on AliExpress. I haven't read about any US resellers of this camera yet. It's been out since November I think, and Dahua can't make them fast enough. They're almost always on back-order.

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well if you have done all that reading, its hard to imagine you wouldn't have found more answers.

Use the search feature here. All your questions will be answered. And you may just have to take a leap and buy some cams. Make a mistake or two like the rest of us.

Have fun.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score