Is CAT 5 OK for 4K camera system?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A friend of mine has gotten a quote to install a security system at his lake house. I believe some of the cameras are to be 4K and some 4Mps cameras. I do not have all the details yet but part of the quote says "install Outdoor cat5 cable" (not sure if outdoor rated is needed either...this should mostly be run through attic and eves.)
Will 4k cameras work OK on CAT 5 or would they really need CAT6 or better?

Also, the NVR is shown only as: "NVR-P 8ch 80 mbps 8xpoe 4k/1080 audio supported".

Is 80 mbps anywhere near enough to handle a couple of 4K cameras? I assume that spec is per channel but again, not sure just yet.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine has gotten a quote to install a security system at his lake house. I believe some of the cameras are to be 4K and some 4Mps cameras. I do not have all the details yet but part of the quote says "install Outdoor cat5 cable" (not sure if outdoor rated is needed either...this should mostly be run through attic and eves.)
Will 4k cameras work OK on CAT 5 or would they really need CAT6 or better?

Also, the NVR is shown only as: "NVR-P 8ch 80 mbps 8xpoe 4k/1080 audio supported".

Is 80 mbps anywhere near enough to handle a couple of 4K cameras? I assume that spec is per channel but again, not sure just yet.
Hi @nbstl68

NO DO NOT USE CAT5... that is a very old standard... go CAT5e or better CAT6 with good copper wires of AWG 23 or 24

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it is a new installation then I would go with CAT6 or 5e.

CAT5 100Mbps with max bandwidth of 100Mhz
CAT5e 1Gbps with max bandwidth of 100Mhz
CAT6 1Gbps with max bandwidth of 250Mhz

But if you have a box of CAT laying around it will suffice, as you can see a 4K camera uses only 16% of the cable capacity.
A 1080P camera take needs about 5 Mbps when recording at 30 FPS.
A 4MP camera take needs about 6 Mbps when recording at 20 FPS.
A 4K camera take needs about 16 Mbps when recording at 24 FPS

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Although not ideal if the cable runs are only to connect cams then it shouldn’t be a problem as current cams are all 100mbs. Reason people advise 5e or 6 is for future proofing.

My house has cat5e, my cctv fitter is going to run cat5e for the cams and I personally don’t have any issues with that.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The chance they're actually planning to use "cat5" is very small (but, if true, would be a huge red flag). Cat5e and cat6 are much more common. Chances are they just used "cat5" a as a generic term for network cable. So based on this you really have no idea what cable they use. I could be some copper-clad aluminum (CCA) garbage they bought because it was cheap. Or it could be quality cat5e/cat6 with pure copper wire.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Exactly. The quote just says, "CAT5". I've suggested he ask the guy just that and if it is solid copper or CCA. If it is CAT5 my suspicion is the guy is selling some preset kit, (like the Costco\Sam's club junk). I told him he needs clarification. thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly. The quote just says, "CAT5". I've suggested he ask the guy just that and if it is solid copper or CCA. If it is CAT5 my suspicion is the guy is selling some preset kit, (like the Costco\Sam's club junk). I told him he needs clarification. thanks
Hi @nbstl68

Whenever you get a quote - make certain it is properly spec'ed. It should say Cat5e - and yes, I really doubt anyone is still installing cat5 - but then again, I recall contractors attempting to put in cat3 when they should have been installing cat5..