Is my 2142 Camera a China import even with WR S/N

immers

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if you can shed any light, I bought an IP camera, the 2142 Dome version with alarm inputs/outputs. I sent an email to hikvision UK support asking about what firmware I should be using.

Support asked for the Serial number which I provided however they've stated its not a UK version and can't help. I checked before I made the purchase to make sure I wasn't buying a grey import, the seller stated it was a UK version camera and that they were a Hik reseller. The camera came with the red and white box, English manuals, a serial number on the box and the device itself (physically and in the software) which contains the WR reference. The camera menu and commands are all in English.

Have the grey imports become almost undetectable or are hik support playing me...

The seller seems reputable and has made the UK statement on various web pages on amazon, eBay etc where they sell the product (and other buyers seem to give postive feedback)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Have the grey imports become almost undetectable or are hik support playing me...
It may be that the negative response is due to it not being purchased through an authorised reseller, as opposed to it being a China market camera.
From what you've described the camera appears to be English/upgradeable.
If you want to test that (your risk) the firmware for the DS-2CD2142FWD model is here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL
But check that the full model number (including the FWD) is a match.

immers

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the response, the support team were not very helpful, I didn't even have an issue for them to fix, simply a query. They gave me some blurb about the serial numbers not being what people think they are (when I mentioned forums and how to check).

I understand the issues about the resellers so will leave it at that (even though the supplier stated their a gold partner).

I have version 5.4.5 running and was just concerned about the back door entry - I haven't opened any ports to the web yet but would like to so in the future when I know the security is in place.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have version 5.4.5 running and was just concerned about the back door entry
The camera is OK - that specific problem is fixed in that version.
I haven't opened any ports to the web yet but would like to so in the future when I know the security is in place.
If you can manage it - a VPN is a more secure solution for remote access.
VPN Primer for Noobs

immers

n3wb
Reaction score
many thanks for the replies...don't suppose you know anything about alarm inputs that keep triggering every 60 seconds (precisely)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
don't suppose you know anything about alarm inputs that keep triggering every 60 seconds (precisely)
Sorry, no, I haven't seen this.
From a hardware alarm input?
If alarm notifications are enabled you'd need to be sure the the input is being properly driven.
For both NC and NO active choices, the alarm input needs a pullup resistor to VCC so that it's status is well defined rather than just left floating on the end of a long wire where it would pick up stray signals.
But - check the camera logs for any useful information on the origin.

immers

n3wb
Reaction score
its from a PIR Sensor, however, I've taken the wires out and left them alone to rule out the sensor but I still get the input alert every 60 seconds. the only way I can stop the alert is to disable alarm input handling or change from NC to NO. But then I get zero alerts....

immers

n3wb
Reaction score
can the length of the alarm flex cable cause issues with constant alerts? I tested with less than 1 metre internally and it seemed to work fine but then when I installed it externally I had to use around 5 metres of cable and its behaved in this strange manner (alert every 60 seconds even when no motion detected)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For both NC and NO active choices, the alarm input needs a pullup resistor to VCC so that it's status is well defined rather than just left floating on the end of a long wire where it would pick up stray signals.
It sounds like the above is what's happening.