Is the 5442 series still the best?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to buy more of these are they still the best for low light eye/turrent style cameras?

I have been very happy with the ones i bought last year.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There is an 8MP on a 1/1.2" sensor that basically equals the 5442 but with higher resolution if resolution is important to you.

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I still believe they are the best value based on price and compact size.

I am getting ready to add a fourth one.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do they make them in a turrent style ?

No/not yet. Probably not coming either.

HIK offers a 1/1.2 as I recall but it is larger that the 5442 turret.

Oops, looks like the second camera linked is offered in a turret, I am not up on that model.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I am getting ready to add a fourth one.
I'm happy with mine but things change so fast!.

I'm using these they are listed as EOL.

I'm not interested in the color at night since my place has zero light and i like the turrent style seems to work best with bugs.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I'm not interested in the color at night since my place has zero light and i like the turrent style seems to work best with bugs.
They have been EOL for quite some time. Still available.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Opinions from somebody who has several 5542s and a color4k-x
For the 5442...
I agree with this in general, although some priorities could change the answer.

There is an 8MP on a 1/1.2" sensor that basically equals the 5442
The 4k-x blows the 5442s away for low light sensitivity. In low light, it does color better than the 5442 does B/W. Its image is usable in medium moonlight. But if you don't want to add any visible light, and it's totally dark, the 4k-x is useless because it doesn't work with IR lighting. It's also not available in a turret, and is on the big side for a bullet. It has a built in speaker, and I have it playing an angry dog mp3 when it's triggered. I do not use its white LEDs because they are useless where I use the camera. IR would be useless, too, because I'm watching a big area where what I want to see is generally a couple hundred feet away.

A 5442 with the sensitivity of the 4k-x would be the cat's meow. I assume such a thing exists if you have tax money to pay for it.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Opinions from somebody who has several 5542s and a color4k-x
For the 5442...

I agree with this in general, although some priorities could change the answer.

The 4k-x blows the 5442s away for low light sensitivity. In low light, it does color better than the 5442 does B/W. Its image is usable in medium moonlight. But if you don't want to add any visible light, and it's totally dark, the 4k-x is useless because it doesn't work with IR lighting. It's also not available in a turret, and is on the big side for a bullet. It has a built in speaker, and I have it playing an angry dog mp3 when it's triggered. I do not use its white LEDs because they are useless where I use the camera. IR would be useless, too, because I'm watching a big area where what I want to see is generally a couple hundred feet away.

A 5442 with the sensitivity of the 4k-x would be the cat's meow. I assume such a thing exists if you have tax money to pay for it.
The 4k-x is to large for what i am looking for if it came in a turret style i would buy it just to see what the hype is all about.

Are the IR cameras going away? Seems like all the new ones are color at night with leds.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 4k-x is to large for what i am looking for if it came in a turret style i would buy it just to see what the hype is all about.

Are the IR cameras going away? Seems like all the new ones are color at night with leds.
Once the 4K/X is available in turret and varifocal (if ever), it will easily be the new king of the cams.

My 4K/X blows away the 5442 at night. Not even a comparison. If you have any light at all, the LEDs are not needed. I can run 1/250 shutter without a problem. Try that with a 5442.

I think IR cams will be around, but I bet they may end up going to the budget cams. Everyone wants color.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
That's exactly what I did. I did not NEED a new camera, but now that I have it I'm glad I got it. Size isn't an issue in its location.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

Many people are trending away from B&W at night. The reason is simple - research shows people recognise people in images much better when they are in colour.

There are 2 ways around the issue of zero light:

1. Install some background ambient lighting - depending on where you are and your budget you could offset this with solar although led bulbs are really low wattage. TBH running an IR lamp will cost as much if not more than visible light.

2. Install some lighting on a sensor - there may be a slight adaption delay in the cameras as it adjusts to the light coming on, but this is minimal with the latest cameras.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
2. Install some lighting on a sensor - there may be a slight adaption delay in the cameras as it adjusts to the light coming on, but this is minimal with the latest cameras.
The 4K-X is much better as far as that goes too. I have floods that I run at a very dim level as the default state. Then I have motion sensors that when tripped kick them up higher. You don't get that initial big adjustment like you do with cams running IR. Everything just gets brighter. It's great. lol

ETA:
Have to say too that the 5442 does pretty well in the same setting. When those lights come up, one I have looking at that same from another angle switches over quickly without much effect. Was kind of a challenge getting things set up so that both worked well but done and happy with it now.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been able to figure out, the IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE is the replacement for the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS, if you're after the same kind of cameras.

I don't exactly know what the difference is, but I did ask @EMPIRETECANDY a few days ago whether the cameras under the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS model number on his store are old EOL stock, or actually the newer IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE model, and he confirmed that they are the newer model, but he is just still using the old model number on his store, and there isn't much difference between the new and old models.

And just for reference for anyone who comes across this post in their search, and is looking at the 5442 models or deciding between fixed or varifocal, I'll link this Dahua T5442T-ZE in-depth review by @wopi82, because he does an excellent review, gives an extremely helpful comparison of the fixed and varifocal models explaining why the FOV specification is more important than the lens focal length specification, and also shows some benefits of fixed lenses (less lens flare, may have a wider aperture for better low light performance).

He also has this Dahua Color 4K-X in-depth review which includes a comparison video of the Color4k-X / IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED and the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED (also EOL but still listed on @EMPIRETECANDY store page here which might be some old stock? Probably replaced by the IPC-HDW5449TM-SE-LED. The IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED tested is the same camera as the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS and IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE, but only does colour, not IR, hence why having white LED's).

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I don't exactly know what the difference is, but I did ask @EMPIRETECANDY a few days ago whether the cameras under the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS model number on his store are old EOL stock, or actually the newer IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE model, and he confirmed that they are the newer model, but he is just still using the old model number on his store, and there isn't much difference between the new and old models.-------------Yes, the old model -AS end of life 2years ago. AS and ASE the only difference is ASE support ePOE.

The LED model he talked 4mp is IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED. Still have the stocks, and firmwaer keep updating.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another thing i like about the 5442 is the 2.8mm is wider than other cams i have that are 2.8mm fixed, is that from the larger sensor?

I have large open spaces and it makes a huge difference.