Is the DS-7616NI-K2 capable of recording 8x 4MP cams?

Reaction score
Moved our DS-7608NI-K1 to a different location and installed a DS-7616NI-K2/16P (FW version: 4.74.205_230712) at my parents house for their HikVision PoE cameras. Used to have 6x 4MP cameras, recently added two more to cover some blind spots. Everything is being recorded to a 6TB WD Purple HDD inside the NVR.

So far:

1x DS-2CD2T43G2-4I (FW version: 5.7.14_231213)
2x DS-2CD2043G2-IU (the two recent additions) (FW version: 5.7.14_231213)
2x DS-2CD1043G0-I (FW version: 5.7.21_231213)
3x DS-2CD1043G0-IUF (FW version: 5.7.21_231213)

All eight are recording 4MP @ 15 fps with 8192 bitrate, H264.

The two new cameras are incredibly laggy, both with Live View and playing back a recording. If I run the RTSP stream from any of the two new cameras in a VLC window, I can see the time in the top left corner jumping all over the place. It's 8:50 PM as I'm writing this, and in front of me the stream showed a time of 20:50:34 and the seconds went up as I was watching it, then suddenly the stream froze for a second and it skipped back to 20:50:15 and started from there. This happens multiple times if you keep watching the stream for a few minutes.

Recordings from the cameras are no better, they're very choppy and the audio constantly cuts in and out.

If I watch the live stream of any of the remaining six cameras or even recordings from them, they're as clear as they've always been and the audio doesn't cut out every few seconds.

I thought perhaps they needed a firmware update, so I sat down and updated everything. All eight cameras and the NVR. Nothing changed.

Is my NVR maxed out or are the cameras faulty?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If I run the RTSP stream from any of the two new cameras in a VLC window, I can see the time in the top left corner jumping all over the place.
Connecting to the new cameras how? The NVR RTSP stream?
What's the camera bitrate and fps settings?

Is my NVR maxed out or are the cameras faulty?
That should all work fine.
I've currently got 9 cameras, a mixture of 4MP and 8MP, using h.265, with no problems. edit on the same model NVR.
I'd suspect a network problem, maybe cabling.
Can you temporarily either run a pre-made cable, or take the camera down and connect with a short pre-made cable and see if that changes the problem?

Reaction score
The NVR RTSP stream?
What's the camera bitrate and fps settings?
Yes. All cameras including the two new ones are at full 4MP resolution, 15 FPS and 8192 bitrate.

I'd suspect a network problem, maybe cabling.
Can you temporarily either run a pre-made cable, or take the camera down and connect with a short pre-made cable and see if that changes the problem?
I bought a 1000ft roll of HIKVISION branded Cat6 from the distributor and have used that for all eight cameras at home.

I remember testing the cameras when I bought them with some 3ft Cat6 patch cables and they worked just fine then, but I only ran them for about 10 minutes just to confirm if they were working.

I'm going to re-crimp the ends of the cables today, for the two new cameras and see if maybe a bad crimp/connector is causing this.

Although I thought a bad crimp would've caused far more issues like the cameras losing power or not connecting at all, but they power up just fine.

Reaction score
I've currently got 9 cameras, a mixture of 4MP and 8MP, using h.265, with no problems. edit on the same model NVR.
Would H.265 reduce the load on the NVR seeing as how I'd be able to lower the bitrate for all cameras from 8192 down to either 4096 or 6144 and keep the same resolution and frame rate?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Would H.265 reduce the load on the NVR seeing as how I'd be able to lower the bitrate for all cameras from 8192 down to either 4096 or 6144 and keep the same resolution and frame rate?
I'd be surprised if that would make a big difference to the problem you're seeing, but easy enough to try.

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if that would make a big difference to the problem you're seeing, but easy enough to try.
Crimped new RJ45 ends on the cables for both cameras and observed them for a while. Made a bit of a difference, live view is generally more stable now, but if I watch a recording, it'll skip 3-5 seconds of footage every minute or so. I could see the timestamp moving at 15:10:34, then it froze and suddenly jumped to 15:10:39. This happens with both the new cameras and none of the others.