Is their better at a reasonable budget ?

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On quick try with no attempt to troubleshoot I also only get audio trying from the page. Same with the last file above.
Ok, so it's not just me. I first came across this the other day when I posted this, but the same thing happened, no video only audio.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you all, I will try tweak the settings, if that does not work, back to Andy I guess for a 4MP camera. I have a IPC-B5442E-Z4E from him already taking care of the back, it's lovely but a bit big for the front. But if that's the best bet for the front also, then the footage wins over size :)
Giggle :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Upload video first to youtube, then share the link here. None of us want to have to download a huge video file. You need more light, and a longer lens. That's too wide of an angle of lens. Study the cliff notes.

Reaction score
I have no issue watching those videos.

Any 4K cam will look great during the day with plenty of light. The real test is at night with motion. To kill motion blur, you need to have short shutter speeds to freeze the action, just like in a typical DSLR. The longer the shutter stays open, the more the subject moves across the frame and the blur occurs. This is problematic with 4K cams.

Low light performance is based on how much light gets to each pixel. So if a cam has a 1/1.8" sensor (0.555 inches), each pixel would get much more light to it if there were only 4MP spread across it rather than 8MP from a 4K cam. But most 4K cams in the prosumer lines are on 1/2.8" (0.357 inches) or smaller sensors. So that 4K cam on one of those sensors will get even less light per pixel than the 4MP on 1/1.8" sensor.

So set the shutter speed at night to 1/120. But then to get enough light to see things, you will have to open the aperture or bump up the gain. You will have to play around with the exposure settings to see what the cam can do. The only other thing to do is to put more light on the scene.

If you are trying to get good enough video to get a face shot of people on the sidewalk, then you need to get a narrower FOV. Getting the T5442 in varifocal could help you out as you can dial in the FOV to your liking.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the same kit. They do have the better 1/1.8” sensor, but the FOV is too wide for beyond the fence.
My setup now is using the Lorex ones for close distance and 5442 6mm for stuff further away.
I think your video inside the fence looks good.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks All, I think everyone is saying get another IPC-B5442E-Z4E from Andy as I also want footage of those cars you see on the road, as they are mine. So I believe another IPC-B5442E-Z4E is my best bet ?.

Reaction score
Do you always get to park in the same spot? The Z4E will give you options as far as FOV, but you may be trying to do too much with one cam. You may need more than one to get what you are desiring. But you really need to articulate exactly what you desire here.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,

I have 2 front cameras, both being the Lorex ones, both getting front garden, near house and views of path and road and yes, I am lucky, my 3 cars in front of house do tend to keep their parking spaces, even though I appreciate it's public road etc. Ultimately I want front garden, walkway and cars in view and to be able to get a good facial of anyone in those areas. I am already maxed out with 8 cameras for the NVR so in theory I would need to swap out one of the front cameras to be able to get the path and cars in with good facial shots of people in those areas, hence I am guessing swap one out with a IPC-B5442E-Z4E. I also have a ring doorbell that can easily handle most of the front garden anyway. I hope this helps and links below:

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I have 2 front cameras, both being the Lorex ones, both getting front garden, near house and views of path and road and yes, I am lucky, my 3 cars in front of house do tend to keep their parking spaces, even though I appreciate it's public road etc. Ultimately I want front garden, walkway and cars in view and to be able to get a good facial of anyone in those areas. I am already maxed out with 8 cameras for the NVR so in theory I would need to swap out one of the front cameras to be able to get the path and cars in with good facial shots of people in those areas, hence I am guessing swap one out with a IPC-B5442E-Z4E. I also have a ring doorbell that can easily handle most of the front garden anyway. I hope this helps and links below:

See this to determine what focal length lens you need to get good face shots at your distance. IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
See this to determine what focal length lens you need to get good face shots at your distance. IPVM Camera Calculator V3
I like this tool, it basically shows with existing camera I should be able to get a reasonable facial image on path so must be my settings but at the road I have no chance, if I switch cam to IPC-B5442E-Z4E zoomed in I could get a good facial with ease but obviously the field of view is much less and I would struggle fitting all 3 cars in, still though it would be a wise investment. Thank you

Arnold Lift

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can someone confirm that they can view the attached video clips, in my Chrome & Edge browser (Windows 10), I can only hear audio. If I download the file, no problem.
I can confirm there is only audio in the Clip.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Changed Shutter Speed to 1/100 and turned on WDR and now get attached, I will try raising camera angle slightly to put more IR light on subject area and if that fails get a IR Floodlight. I suspect this will sort the path area and then buy another IPC-B5442E-Z4E from Andy straight away to replace other camera and handle cars :)

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can confirm there is only audio in the Clip.
Hello, I can confirm when I click on links I also only get Audio, only when downloaded and then played do I get video, not sure if this is a forum issue or something I am doing. All my latest ones I have uploaded to utube and gave links to assist.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Check DNR (noise reduction) settings, as this can add ghosting around motion if set too high.

The lens in the Lorex E891ab is 2.8mm, but can be swapped out if desired/needed.
Look for an M16 lens for 1/1.8" sensor, like this one: US $10.35 |6mm 1/1.8
Hello Pozzello, have you any guide / pictures etc on how to open up these cameras and swap the lense ?. Also any before and after pictures to show what difference it would make to the picture etc. If I replaced the lense, would I have to manually focus somehow or would the camera auto focus for me when first switched on ?, Thank you

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
pop the front cover off with a small flathead screwdriver, remove 4 philips screws, front comes off exposing lens. scrape glue off to unscrew lens, replace with new lens and screw it in till focused the way you like, then re-glue (with superglue or bondic) so it doesn't move again, re-assemble. easy-peazy... as for which lens, the stock 2.8 gives you a very wide FOV ~110degrees, 4mm a bit less maybe 90', 6mm a bit less yet, perhaps 70'... depends on what you need.

Last edited: