Is there a good small camera for front and rear doors?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reading up on that protectant.... seems it polishes pretty darned clear. Can't see that it 100% UV protects anything though... but I'm going to give it a go with the wedge. Thinking to have a starlight at the corner of the house looking down the path to the door... zoomed in so I get an ID right when they get around the trees in view of the cam. Then the wedge by the doorbell... angled a little bit the other way.... Then thinking of a nice overview cam on the ceiling of the overhang.... to see what's going on during the day.
Also going to mount a starlight z12 by the corner and zoom in on the road (incidentally right near the mailbox which is nice) and setup alpr. Something like this:

View attachment 25679

Any ID10T errors here?
I'd tend to put the turret above the door close to the wall and rotate it to be vertical. That should help with reflections off of those pillars, this would be a considerably narrower fov than what you drew. You might want to do the camera above the door first and wait a little before you install one at face height.

You could probably put more than 1 camera on the porch roof, it'd be easier than drilling into brick / mortar. Is there any way to access the 'balcony' (doesn't look like it) or is it just a way of dressing up the porch roof?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've still got my dome camera over the front door. I've never been super happy with how a person's face is almost completely obscured when they walk right up to the door because the angle is too great.

The first shot is of a solicitor approaching the door; this is about the best face shot I could get. Look in the right side just below the bushes and you can see a Dahua turret. I've got it tucked under an overhang from a window.
frontdoor.high.jpg

Here's a shot of the individual walking up to the door. Being so low to the ground and aimed up, I figure it should help default caps and hoods. Further, its only natural to look where you're going when walking around a corner, so that means the subject is naturally looking down towards the camera.
I can probably zoom this one in some more too.
frontdoor2.low.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've still got my dome camera over the front door. I've never been super happy with how a person's face is almost completely obscured when they walk right up to the door because the angle is too great.
Sweet! That's the way to go!

note: I've seen videos of package thieves doing very well giving just their backs to the doorbell cameras!

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sweet! That's the way to go!

note: I've seen videos of package thieves doing very well giving just their backs to the doorbell cameras!
Time to relandscape to make it very challenging to come up to the front door backwards. :)

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is another good idea, to get another camera. One, that points toward the door. :)
Hahah and then my luck is that someone would just break in another door.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

The first shot is of a solicitor approaching the door; this is about the best face shot I could get. Look in the right side just below the bushes and you can see a Dahua turret. I've got it tucked under an overhang from a window.
View attachment 25940

Here's a shot of the individual walking up to the door. Being so low to the ground and aimed up, I figure it should help default caps and hoods. Further, its only natural to look where you're going when walking around a corner, so that means the subject is naturally looking down towards the camera.
I can probably zoom this one in some more too.
View attachment 25941
well there's no doubt he sees your camera :D

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
well there's no doubt he sees your camera :D
Yup which is perfect! The plants in the front hide it somewhat as you walk up the driveway until you're turning onto the sidewalk.

I should put a little cloth hood over it and then at night the ir illumnators would make it look like a little Sand Person from Star Wars.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe, we should put some kind of LED blinker on them, that way everybody will look into them.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
When you have a couple of cameras on your house, who will believe you, that is a fake camera?
I will have a total of 7 cameras(including the Ring doorbell), at the front of my house.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yikes, that's a lot, lol :D

When you have a couple of cameras on your house, who will believe you, that is a fake camera?
I will have a total of 7 cameras(including the Ring doorbell), at the front of my house.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have one, at each end of the garage, at one (far)end I have two more, one facing the side of the house, the other is an LPR(Z12).
Another one is across the porch, the wedge at the door(not installed yet) and the Ring.

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering 2 of these for the kids room; then, in a year or two, move them to the front door when they arent needed inside. But i'm a bit confused by what @Tygunn was saying about the picture being distorted in the web gui and on gdmss lite. Is this only in coridoor mode or in all modes? I run gdmss on 4 phones, so it is important that this camera work with that application while viewing multiple cameras at the same time.

Also, i'm having a little bit of trouble deciding between 2.8mm and 3.6mm....

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering 2 of these for the kids room; then, in a year or two, move them to the front door when they arent needed inside. But i'm a bit confused by what @Tygunn was saying about the picture being distorted in the web gui and on gdmss lite. Is this only in coridoor mode or in all modes? I run gdmss on 4 phones, so it is important that this camera work with that application while viewing multiple cameras at the same time.

Also, i'm having a little bit of trouble deciding between 2.8mm and 3.6mm....
It's only distorted when running in corridor more. Neither the web UI or the app can figure out the aspect ratio for some reason.

Al*_*

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've found myself in the same challenge as you @tomm (and others here). I have had the Axis M2014-E bullets but in the end I was not really happy with the image quality.
I have ordered @EMPIRETECANDY a couple ipc-hdw5231r-ze to replace them. Ofcourse not as discrete as the axis bullets but as I believe from what has been written about those on this forum, significantly better image quality and since they will not be directly at the front door, I hope not too intrusive.

As most of you, it still bothers me not having good images to ID people (read: criminals!) at the front/back door. On the other hand I not want to give people (friends/family) the impression they are not welcome or being watched over. It does tend to look a little aggressive all these camera's hanging everywhere. at least to me although I do see it like something necessary. long story short, how to solve the issue of no good ID at the door. As seen with @Tygunn a hidden cam works nicely contrary to one installed over the front door.

I think about buying a nice lamp at the front door (it is a matter of taste, true) and try to build in the best non intrusive dahua I can find. I guess that will be the ipc-hdbw4231f-as. doing it that way I hope it is not to intrusive, the sun not directly hitting it and good ID capabilities. not sure if the lamp still works or not but I am not in favor of these ir led solution of most cameras so ir led will probably not used anyway. Really, for the little money which is spend on the cameras (yes everything is relative) we expect superior imagequality and this just aint gonna happen with the built in ir leds, right? Better look for good lightning outside the cam which helps not to attract to much attention too it. please share your toughts. thanks!

Al*_*

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It would fit in there?
it is a starlight 'mini' dome right. and since it is installed inside the lamp behind glass, the outside of the starlight will not be put on. I think it will fit and would make a nice and elegant solution. When you see how people hang those monstrous ptz's on their houses. Seeing those in Industrial Area's one can understand, but at your home? It is a matter of taste. Just like opinions, everyone is entitled to their own. I respect that.

Al*_*

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Preferably the camera is placed before the bulb (light is coming from behind) but I think it will not fit and the bulb has to be taken out, or re-positioned (if possible)