Is this a good buy

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Be wary of certain computers. I bought my Dell Optiplex 9020 MT Core i7-4770 3.4GHz 8GB 500GB Win10 for $200 via Ebay. I wanted a mini tower (MT) not small form factor (SFF). Which is great. However, this specific optiplex's motherboard only goes up to 2 TB. Unsure if that means I'm forever capped for a total of 2 TB for purple HD or if I have to split up a larger (say...10TB) SSD hard drive into 5 x 2TB partitions.
A quick google search will tell you how to set the bios (make sure its updated to the latest) properly.

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Optiplex 7040 with a single 3.5" bay an single SATA power connector as you describe. I got on Amazon and purchased a 9.5mm DVD caddy. This allows you to remove the slim DVD drive and put a 2.5" drive in it place. They sell them for $8.99 or less and come in both 9.5 and 12.7mm sizes which seems to be the two standard sizes for slim profile optical drives.

It uses the standard DVD power and SATA cables. 4TB purple for the 3.5 and a 500gig WD Blue SSD I already had is the OS/BI drive. Of course could have purchased M.2 SSD but already had a good SSD in 2.5" Setup works great for a SFF Optiplex.
Hi... So based on this and the above-mentioned posts, I can effectively have both the 256gb ssd my dell optiplex 9020 SFF came with and the extra 3.5" wd purple that I bought? - All I would have to do is get a y-splitter power cable like this and then get a 9.5mm sata caddy like this to hold the current installed SSD - then I can put the 3.5" additional into where the SSD currently is?

Assuming I'll also need to get some sata cables like this. ?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi... So based on this and the above-mentioned posts, I can effectively have both the 256gb ssd my dell optiplex 9020 SFF came with and the extra 3.5" wd purple that I bought? - All I would have to do is get a y-splitter power cable like this and then get a 9.5mm sata caddy like this to hold the current installed SSD - then I can put the 3.5" additional into where the SSD currently is?

Assuming I'll also need to get some sata cables like this. ?
I use a 2.5” SSD drive installed in the DVD position using the caddy mentioned above. No additional power cables needed. The Dell already has a single 3.5” HD bay and SATA power cable so that is where the 4TB purple drive is. Could also add a third drive to this setup if I installed a M2 ssd drive on motherboard connection. That would be the OS drive and free up the 2.5” DVD caddy drive for something else.

But for now the 2.5 ssd plus 4TB for BI storage works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ray-zin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the response and clarification. I'm gonna order one of those caddies and give it a go.

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Measure old DVD to see how thick it is. They come in two different sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk