Is this bundle worth it?

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm completely new to this whole surveillance thing. I've been doing a little research and I've come to the conclusion that I need some cameras around my house.

Some must haves of a surveillance system that I prefer are in NVR, 1080p, motion detection, push notification to my cell phone via text message or email of said motion detection activation, and ideally I would want all of this to be free. With the exception of the cost to buy of course.

I'm not looking for anything super expensive or top of the line. This is why I'm considering to buy this system...

Amcrest UltraHD 3-Megapixel (2048 x 1536P) 8Ch Network POE Video Security System (NVR Kit) - Four 3MP POE Outdoor Bullet IP Cameras, 98ft Night Vision, 2TB HDD, Power over Ethernet (Black)

A big reason I'm looking to buy this system is because there are tons of instructional videos online that can help me as I am not super tech savvy as my username States.

What do you guys think?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm completely new to this whole surveillance thing. I've been doing a little research and I've come to the conclusion that I need some cameras around my house.

Some must haves of a surveillance system that I prefer are in NVR, 1080p, motion detection, push notification to my cell phone via text message or email of said motion detection activation, and ideally I would want all of this to be free. With the exception of the cost to buy of course.

I'm not looking for anything super expensive or top of the line. This is why I'm considering to buy this system...

Amcrest UltraHD 3-Megapixel (2048 x 1536P) 8Ch Network POE Video Security System (NVR Kit) - Four 3MP POE Outdoor Bullet IP Cameras, 98ft Night Vision, 2TB HDD, Power over Ethernet (Black)

A big reason I'm looking to buy this system is because there are tons of instructional videos online that can help me as I am not super tech savvy as my username States.

What do you guys think?
You dont state the price...
Amcrest is simply rebraded dahua...except you pay more, get the low end of dahua range so the image quality is not as good, and most importantly get inferior camera designs like bullets that will drive you crazy with spider webs...start reading the forum..You have grandiose expectations of motion detection on these cams..you are in for a surprise..

Reaction score
I
It appears that there are two big competitors here in the Forum and that is the dahua and the Hikvision. As far as the software goes it seems that blue iris is the way to go. Do you think I'm better off buying either of these two systems and using Blue Iris?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I

It appears that there are two big competitors here in the Forum and that is the dahua and the Hikvision. As far as the software goes it seems that blue iris is the way to go. Do you think I'm better off buying either of these two systems and using Blue Iris?
Blue Iris requires a PC... there is much more to a camera than brand...start reading

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NCS. I’m as, let’s say, as uninformed as you. After much research I chose BI over an NVR for many reasons. I chose Hikvision because I found better local availability of this brand over Dahua. With a refurbished computer, POE switch, cameras (5) and software I spent about $450 for computer, $60 for software, $750 for cameras, and $99 for POE switch. You can find cameras for half what I spend if purchased overseas. The computer maybe $100 dollars cheaper. So all said an done figure about $1000 plus depending on where you purchase your hardware for a system. Hope this helps.