Reaction score
I have 6 piece of these HCDVI cameras

HAC-HFW2221R-Z-IRE6

Cat5e cable is installed already.

I have these baluns

Video Balun

Now I plan to buy this 8 port POE switch

POE Switch

So since I already have the Ethernet cable in place, can I use just 1 Balun at camera side, then transfer power and video signal over the POE switch, and use an NVR instead of an XVR?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
can I use just 1 Balun at camera side, then transfer power and video signal over the POE switch, and use an NVR instead of an XVR?
Looking at the balun product specs - they don't support PoE, it's just using ethernet wire pairs to passively transmit power.
If so - the PoE switch will not supply power.
You'd need some static 12v power supplies to feed into the baluns.

Also - the cameras are rated at around 8W, so there will be a higher voltage drop over the wiring than in the balun specs, which don't state what cable wire gauge they relate to.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
then transfer power and video signal over the POE switch, and use an NVR instead of an XVR?
Also - the baluns don't convert the analogue signal from the camera into IP packets - they just help with the wiring between the camera and the DVR.
So an NVR would not be of any use.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at the balun product specs - they don't support PoE, it's just using ethernet wire pairs to passively transmit power.
If so - the PoE switch will not supply power.
You'd need some static 12v power supplies to feed into the baluns.

Also - the cameras are rated at around 8W, so there will be a higher voltage drop over the wiring than in the balun specs, which don't state what cable wire gauge they relate to.
Thanks I was just looking at the voltage drop over 30 meters on a 24AWG wire, and it quotes 2.5V drop over that length.

I presume 9.5V will not be sufficient to operate the camera, so would it be safe to use a 15V power supply, or do you have another suggestion, because of course not all cameras will be at 30-meter distance, so shorter lengths may get overpowered?

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm, I should have done more research before I opened this thread.

I just notice that I can purchase RG6 coaxial cable with power cable attached, at about a third of the price of Cat5e cable.

No Baluns or whatever needed, and since I already have network cable installed, I can easily attach the coaxial and just pull to replace.

Does coaxial cable give the same quality video signal as when transporting the signal over Cat5e with the baluns?

And how does the motorized lens work over the coaxial cable?

1646238741742.png

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score

No Baluns or whatever needed, and since I already have network cable installed, I can easily attach the coaxial and just pull to replace.
For future upgrades & growth, you should consider replacing the Ethernet with a pull string, then pull in the same Ethernet and siamese coax/power cable.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For future upgrades & growth, you should consider replacing the Ethernet with a pull string, then pull in the same Ethernet and siamese coax/power cable.
Thanks for the suggestion, indeed a good idea.

Will the motorized lens of my camera's work over the coax/power cable?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, indeed a good idea.

FYI - recommend running an additional cat6 in every location you plan while cabling .. has saved me ( the N+1 / N+1+ rule .. )

also, do double check that the RG6 is solid copper wires ...

"RG6 coaxial cable"

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
We had some old pelco equip that had nothing but the siamese coax/power to it. The pelco keyboard (kbd4000) was able to control everything from the motorized lenses of some models to the PTZ functions of other models.

Not sure about your specific model, maybe @EMPIRETECANDY has some insight?

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI - recommend running an additional cat6 in every location you plan while cabling .. has saved me ( the N+1 / N+1+ rule .. )

also, do double check that the RG6 is solid copper wires ...

"RG6 coaxial cable"
Yes it is solid copper, as you can see from the picture. The power cable are 0.3mm strands, for a total of 1 sq mm

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
We had some old pelco equip that had nothing but the siamese coax/power to it. The pelco keyboard (kbd4000) was able to control everything from the motorized lenses of some models to the PTZ functions of other models.

Not sure about your specific model, maybe @EMPIRETECANDY has some insight?
keyboard mainly use for the PTZ, for the motorized lens, just use webpage or smartpss to control the lens.