Is this the best these cameras can do?

Reaction score
Hello Fenderman,
thanks for your input on the foscam. I too have recently purchased and installed their FI9826P that was NOT so plug n play btw, but got it working with the India support team logging into my computer( I have never done this, and said I never would, but they do not know or ask for pw). These cameras are 1.3 mp and 1280 X 960 res, and are actually quite clear. The second one I just bought was to fill a need for a wide angle view cam, and foscam just released their C1 that is 720P res, and 115 degrees viewing angl, BUT only 1.0 MP. I use it to cover indoor entry points . The annoying issue is the fact that they seem to focus on their IP cam client much more then their desktop cam client, THATS the one I would think should be smooth operating, but its so buggy and lags horrible, much more than the IP client, which IS fairly smooth and responsive so far. A few bugs here and there, but a phone or comp reset usually clears it up. Im coming from the Logitech 750 security system, as is the guy who forwarded your website to me. I contacted him from the Logitech site and we have been discussing these cams ever since. The hikvision DO seem very HD, but the set up and running seems to be not too user friendly, PLUS, none of their cameras come with power supplies? Just like most of the people on here, I just want solid HD cameras that I cam securely view and control from home and abroad, smoothly and reliably. I have so many questions, but although I'm assuming your response will be the same or similar, I do desire your advice and input about these new foscams that are now 1.3 MP with the 1280 x 960P res.
Thks in advance.

The Sicilian

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Fenderman,
thanks for your input on the foscam. I too have recently purchased and installed their FI9826P that was NOT so plug n play btw, but got it working with the India support team logging into my computer( I have never done this, and said I never would, but they do not know or ask for pw). These cameras are 1.3 mp and 1280 X 960 res, and are actually quite clear. The second one I just bought was to fill a need for a wide angle view cam, and foscam just released their C1 that is 720P res, and 115 degrees viewing angl, BUT only 1.0 MP. I use it to cover indoor entry points . The annoying issue is the fact that they seem to focus on their IP cam client much more then their desktop cam client, THATS the one I would think should be smooth operating, but its so buggy and lags horrible, much more than the IP client, which IS fairly smooth and responsive so far. A few bugs here and there, but a phone or comp reset usually clears it up. Im coming from the Logitech 750 security system, as is the guy who forwarded your website to me. I contacted him from the Logitech site and we have been discussing these cams ever since. The hikvision DO seem very HD, but the set up and running seems to be not too user friendly, PLUS, none of their cameras come with power supplies? Just like most of the people on here, I just want solid HD cameras that I cam securely view and control from home and abroad, smoothly and reliably. I have so many questions, but although I'm assuming your response will be the same or similar, I do desire your advice and input about these new foscams that are now 1.3 MP with the 1280 x 960P res.
Thks in advance.

The Sicilian
I know that they have 1.3mp cameras, however, like you said they are buggy...i NEVER have to reset my hikvision or dahua cameras....The cameras do not come with power supplies because they are POE and most folks power them over ethernet for a clean install..the motion detection is much more advanced allowing for line cross detection...
The C1 looks ok, but the 115 degree fov is a diagonal spec..its 100 horizontal just like a hikvision 2432 with a 2.8mm lens...
I would stay away from anything foscam...
With hikvision, you can buy from US sellers like our site sponsor nellys security or pay much less via aliexpress but get no warranty or support and have to deal with firmware upgrade issues...

Reaction score
Thanks for the response fenderman. I would prefer to use wifi for my cameras, I just do not want to be running all those cables to my router.
How does the install and operate procedure compare to the foscam set up? I was up and running in minutes and they are easy to understand.
What software do you use for the hikvisions and can I control it all from my computer, and are the phone apps free to use and are they hikvisions or 3rd party charge apps like blue iris? As far as the Logitech system, I like the idea that Logitech used where I can allocate whatever amount of HD space for the recordings, plus the micro SD card backup, both recycle to first in, first out, plus I can access and control the videos on the SD cards from their client on my pc. I can even format the SD cards from the client on my pc, no need to remove them and bring them to the pc to do so.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response fenderman. I would prefer to use wifi for my cameras, I just do not want to be running all those cables to my router.
How does the install and operate procedure compare to the foscam set up? I was up and running in minutes and they are easy to understand.
What software do you use for the hikvisions and can I control it all from my computer, and are the phone apps free to use and are they hikvisions or 3rd party charge apps like blue iris? As far as the Logitech system, I like the idea that Logitech used where I can allocate whatever amount of HD space for the recordings, plus the micro SD card backup, both recycle to first in, first out, plus I can access and control the videos on the SD cards from their client on my pc. I can even format the SD cards from the client on my pc, no need to remove them and bring them to the pc to do so.
The beauty of network cams is that you dont have to run all the cables back to the router...you can route them to local switch then run a single cable back...Multiple wifi cams transmitting HD video is asking for trouble...how many cams are you setting up? are they going to be indoor or outdoor?
Hikvision mobile apps are free, there is a free pc NVR software that you can use to record to pc, or review video on the sd card..you can format the sd card from the web interface, though there is no real reason to format the card after the initial install format..

Reaction score
I have 2 indoor cams so far, and still use the Logitech 750 for the outdoor driveway, their software is solid and consist, and works directly on my desktop, simple and reliable when its working-lol. Seriously, it does have bugs occasionally, but on the whole, quite reliable from my experiences with other brands.
I think my ideal set up could be restricted to a total of four cams, 2 inside and 2 outside. The C1 actually covers all entrances with the wide viewing lens, the second would be a bonus to move around to suit my changing needs or desires. The outside cams I could be satisfied with watching (1) the front yard, and (2) the backyard. The B.Y. cam will be tricky as far as placement, trees and chimney pose blockage points with a standard under eve placement. Idealy, I could REALLY use a solar powered Wifi cam, how is it that these are not readily available on the main stream market, the tech has been around for many years. Anyway, thanks again for your expert input and advice, Im a little flustered ATM, wondering if the foscams will suit my needs for now since they have such consistent support, its not all good all the time, but they always answer the phone and at least try to help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 2 indoor cams so far, and still use the Logitech 750 for the outdoor driveway, their software is solid and consist, and works directly on my desktop, simple and reliable when its working-lol. Seriously, it does have bugs occasionally, but on the whole, quite reliable from my experiences with other brands.
I think my ideal set up could be restricted to a total of four cams, 2 inside and 2 outside. The C1 actually covers all entrances with the wide viewing lens, the second would be a bonus to move around to suit my changing needs or desires. The outside cams I could be satisfied with watching (1) the front yard, and (2) the backyard. The B.Y. cam will be tricky as far as placement, trees and chimney pose blockage points with a standard under eve placement. Idealy, I could REALLY use a solar powered Wifi cam, how is it that these are not readily available on the main stream market, the tech has been around for many years. Anyway, thanks again for your expert input and advice, Im a little flustered ATM, wondering if the foscams will suit my needs for now since they have such consistent support, its not all good all the time, but they always answer the phone and at least try to help
The only solar power us home made units...honestly 99% of the time is cheaper to pay someone to run the cable than mess with solar power, batteries etc..
If you buy hikvision from a reputable dealer like nellys you will get support...there is also tons of support available on this board...
Laview also has immediate tech support...

Reaction score
Fenderman, I clicked on a link from hikvisions website that states "unauthorized dealers" and Nellys came up?!
Dp they need to update their website? I really want to get their cameras for my security system, but I know better, from past experience ,than to purchase from an unsupported "unauthorized" dealer. Plus I still have a few more questions needed answered from them, Ill be calling them during business hours to get my Q's answered. Thanks for looking into that unauth thing

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, I clicked on a link from hikvisions website that states "unauthorized dealers" and Nellys came up?!
Dp they need to update their website? I really want to get their cameras for my security system, but I know better, from past experience ,than to purchase from an unsupported "unauthorized" dealer. Plus I still have a few more questions needed answered from them, Ill be calling them during business hours to get my Q's answered. Thanks for looking into that unauth thing
Nellys is not an authorized hikvision dealer, that is why they provide their own warranty and support which is excellent. You can contact member @RyanODan with any questions..
Most hikvision dealers will only sell to installers, not to end users...bandh photo is an exception, they appear to allow you to simply order off their site...i dont know what level of technical support they provide though...

Reaction score
Nellys is not an authorized hikvision dealer, that is why they provide their own warranty and support which is excellent. You can contact member @RyanODan with any questions..
Most hikvision dealers will only sell to installers, not to end users...bandh photo is an exception, they appear to allow you to simply order off their site...i dont know what level of technical support they provide though...
Thanks for your expertise input fend. I have spent so much time with these wifi cams that I'm starting to believe that wifi will never be reliable enough to be realistic for security purposes, no matter how expensive the cameras are or what brand. It appears to be a combination of faulty camera wifi hardware, client software issues and glitches, and occasional wifi issues, <-- though that's (my wifi ) not the case with my experience with these foscams. Anyway, can I get your honest opinion of this system I was offered to replace my wifi cams from foscam. Thanks in advance.
Amcrest 1080P HDCVI 4CH 2TB DVR Security Camera System w/ 4 x 2.1MP Bullet Cameras (AMDV10804-4B)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your expertise input fend. I have spent so much time with these wifi cams that I'm starting to believe that wifi will never be reliable enough to be realistic for security purposes, no matter how expensive the cameras are or what brand. It appears to be a combination of faulty camera wifi hardware, client software issues and glitches, and occasional wifi issues, <-- though that's (my wifi ) not the case with my experience with these foscams. Anyway, can I get your honest opinion of this system I was offered to replace my wifi cams from foscam. Thanks in advance.
Amcrest 1080P HDCVI 4CH 2TB DVR Security Camera System w/ 4 x 2.1MP Bullet Cameras (AMDV10804-4B)
You are correct, wifi is not a good idea...though it can be setup with ok reliability with some camera brands and good network hardware, it simply not worth it..you servery limit your options and reliability will never be that of ethernet.
I never heard of Amcrest but it appears to be a rebranded dahua CVI system...This is not an IP system, its HD over analog that uses coax..you can in theory run ethernet with baluns at the end so that later you can use the cable for IP.
these type of systems are available from 400-500 at costco..my preference is to jump to ip...
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-720p-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-720p-Cameras.product.100161016.html
I would go with an ip system..

Reaction score
You are correct, wifi is not a good idea...though it can be setup with ok reliability with some camera brands and good network hardware, it simply not worth it..you servery limit your options and reliability will never be that of ethernet.
I never heard of Amcrest but it appears to be a rebranded dahua CVI system...This is not an IP system, its HD over analog that uses coax..you can in theory run ethernet with baluns at the end so that later you can use the cable for IP.
these type of systems are available from 400-500 at costco..my preference is to jump to ip...
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-720p-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-720p-Cameras.product.100161016.html
I would go with an ip system..
Thanks. Im confused as to the IP type over , whatever the amcrest is or is not. Does tat mean that those QSee systems use CAD5 cable as opposed to (television) "cable" cable? If thats the case, then YEAH! no brainer for me. Damn this stuff gets involved.
I looked at the nellys compplete systems, and theirs are $1,000's. Plus I tried to spec out the cameras since I would like to have the wider angle lens (as stated earlier in our communication) but the specs never include that in the description, at least not that I could see or find.
Thanks again for your help and guidance, I have LOST my day again due to this "stuff", and now am off to pick up my little ones form school.
I really need to get a reliable and user friendly system up and running, crime is increasing in our area, just had another "incident" this weekend, and I can hook my system up, I just need to either get a complete system, or a complete list of what I need for a complete system.
I REALLY would like to go with the wifi, if, like you said, the equipment is solid, because my wifi is strong all around, and I have a fairly new and solid router with fast comcast speed. It just seems that these cameras or the client/software is not getting the R&D / support / overall performance that it should have to at least be mostly reliable and consistent.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Im confused as to the IP type over , whatever the amcrest is or is not. Does tat mean that those QSee systems use CAD5 cable as opposed to (television) "cable" cable? If thats the case, then YEAH! no brainer for me. Damn this stuff gets involved.
I looked at the nellys compplete systems, and theirs are $1,000's. Plus I tried to spec out the cameras since I would like to have the wider angle lens (as stated earlier in our communication) but the specs never include that in the description, at least not that I could see or find.
Thanks again for your help and guidance, I have LOST my day again due to this "stuff", and now am off to pick up my little ones form school.
I really need to get a reliable and user friendly system up and running, crime is increasing in our area, just had another "incident" this weekend, and I can hook my system up, I just need to either get a complete system, or a complete list of what I need for a complete system.
I REALLY would like to go with the wifi, if, like you said, the equipment is solid, because my wifi is strong all around, and I have a fairly new and solid router with fast comcast speed. It just seems that these cameras or the client/software is not getting the R&D / support / overall performance that it should have to at least be mostly reliable and consistent.
The amcrest system runs over coax as you described "cable" cable...though you can use ethernet and attached baluns at the end...if your budget is very limited that is the way to go..though IP will give you more camera choices as well as the ability to use a pc to record if you dont like the NVR...ip can also power the camera and provide data over a single cable (POE)...
How many cameras do you need? What is your budget?

Reaction score
I can get away with just 2, but If I could set up 3-4 I would prefer that. I'd like to keep the cost in the $300 range, obviously would like the best bang for buck as its said. I would take quality over quantity, and be able to possibly add on in the future if the need arises, when the costs on the cameras eventually go down due to new products on the market. But if I have a solid quality system, it doesnt have to be fancy, just usable in the near future and not obsolete/inferior tech.
thanks

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you can work around some of the wifi issues by using on-camera SD storage because then a spotty signal won't mean you lose footage. But it's still kind of like hunting with a bow. You can do it successfully, but a rifle is generally better :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
start with two hikvision cameras...record to sd card, or pc if you have one to use for this purpose..you will need a poe switch which is 45 dollars.

Reaction score
I think you can work around some of the wifi issues by using on-camera SD storage because then a spotty signal won't mean you lose footage. But it's still kind of like hunting with a bow. You can do it successfully, but a rifle is generally better :)
That's EXACTLY the main reason why I insist on cameras that have onboard SD cards, cuz when all else fails, theres my backup HD. But with the inconsistency Ive been experiencing with performance, it becomes a guessing game and analytical nightmare of consistent random outages and or motion sensor fail thus no recording of potential crucial footage.
so did you have a possible set up in mind that is a "fit" for all that I have described over the course of this thread?
And why does this site glitch SO BAD with my IE and not chrome?

Reaction score
start with two hikvision cameras...record to sd card, or pc if you have one to use for this purpose..you will need a poe switch which is 45 dollars.
I would like to have at least 100-120 degree FOV for both inside and outside rated cams. Id like to record to a 32-64GB Sd card on board, and control all the functions of the cameras and access the Sd cards from my pc. How does the software for these cams work? Does their client allow for a specific allocation of HDD space for their system.
for example, my old logitech desktop client allowed me to allocate whatever space I chose for recording space, then when it filled up that section allocated to it, it just recorded over the oldest footage and just kept looping around like that. Plus the on-board SD cards allowed for back up recordings in case of the pc or client getting glitchy or power failure etc.
Basically I would like to know how the hikvision client works, what are the features etc., and if I so chose to use them wireless, does this client they come with work well enough to at least search out possible breaches, and at that point I could go to the SD card for a smooth and accurate account of what had occurred.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to have at least 100-120 degree FOV for both inside and outside rated cams. Id like to record to a 32-64GB Sd card on board, and control all the functions of the cameras and access the Sd cards from my pc. How does the software for these cams work? Does their client allow for a specific allocation of HDD space for their system.
for example, my old logitech desktop client allowed me to allocate whatever space I chose for recording space, then when it filled up that section allocated to it, it just recorded over the oldest footage and just kept looping around like that. Plus the on-board SD cards allowed for back up recordings in case of the pc or client getting glitchy or power failure etc.
Basically I would like to know how the hikvision client works, what are the features etc., and if I so chose to use them wireless, does this client they come with work well enough to at least search out possible breaches, and at that point I could go to the SD card for a smooth and accurate account of what had occurred.
I dont use ivms...i prefer blue iris (its much more advanced but requires a more powerful pc)...you can certainly record to sd card and to the pc simultaneously and use the sd card for backup...
The widest angle you will get is about 100 degrees when you run the camera with a 2.8mm lens in 2mp mode (you are actually better off buying the 2mp version because it has better low light vision)..This view will be on par, maybe a bit wider than your logitech...remember that logitech uses diagonal fov in their specs while logitech uses horizontal...eyeballing video of both tells me that hikvision is even wider.
As far as alocating space ivms will allow you to allocate a chunk of diskspace for its use..

Reaction score
I dont use ivms...i prefer blue iris (its much more advanced but requires a more powerful pc)...you can certainly record to sd card and to the pc simultaneously and use the sd card for backup...
The widest angle you will get is about 100 degrees when you run the camera with a 2.8mm lens in 2mp mode (you are actually better off buying the 2mp version because it has better low light vision)..This view will be on par, maybe a bit wider than your logitech...remember that logitech uses diagonal fov in their specs while logitech uses horizontal...eyeballing video of both tells me that hikvision is even wider.
As far as alocating space ivms will allow you to allocate a chunk of diskspace for its use..
So, are you explaining what blue iris is capable of? Or is the hikvision stock client capable of those things I mentioned?