TropDayz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the manual link bp2008. I saved that and reviewed that section. I figure I will just go ahead and add another 8GB stick of RAM when I am installing the WD Purple...

Reaction score
If you can spend $100 or a tad more, I would go for the Blue Iris server I built instead of a used system. It's not that spendy to start from scratch as compared to purchasing something used.
Well, I take that back. Main reason I went from PC case to server case was for real estate and future upgrade-ability (more HD's, more RAM, different CPU, etc). It had to fit in my wall mounted rack. A PC was just too big, even a SFF was a couple inches too tall.

TropDayz

n3wb
Reaction score
If you can spend $100 or a tad more, I would go for the Blue Iris server I built instead of a used system. It's not that spendy to start from scratch as compared to purchasing something used.
Well, I take that back. Main reason I went from PC case to server case was for real estate and future upgrade-ability (more HD's, more RAM, different CPU, etc). It had to fit in my wall mounted rack. A PC was just too big, even a SFF was a couple inches too tall.
Unfortunately I completed the purchase last night...

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
NUCs are not great for Blue Iris though. They cost much more than comparably specced desktop PCs and have no room for even one 3.5" internal hard drive.

As an example, this i7-10710U NUC would perform about as well for Blue Iris as a refurbished i7-6700 that has room for hard drives and costs a third as much.
The NUCs use laptop processors, so they are relatively weak compared to desktop processors. Honestly, the only good think about NUCs is their size (which helps with power and noise too). I have two of the NUC Hades Canyon models which work fine as mini-desktops. You can do basic gaming on them too. I would not use them for BI though.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Say what folks say about the subpar mobile processors as compared to their desktop cousins... my USFF sized Intel i7-4700"S" CPU 65 watt that I did use for a short time did the task as compared to the bigger 90 watt cousins. I mean, it worked for the price I was charged and for Blue Iris purposes with 14 cameras. Hovered around 35-45%. In a pinch, I would use the "S" series again.
I personally would not go NUC for a Blue Iris server. Limited to upgradeability/expandability. I like my current server setup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is impossible to build a system that he purchased for anywhere near the price he paid unless you stole the OS and some other components. The OS alone is 150 bux. It is foolish to build a system.

Reaction score
I did migrate my Windows 10 from another system. And did re-use the 8TB Western Digital Purple from previous system. I guess I should sit down and calculate the cost of the server system I built before speaking about system build $$$. Yep, if my server build was purchased all new from scratch, around $1,000. Not many would go this route.

Last edited:

TropDayz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a synology 1019+ I considered using but really thought it was better to have a dedicated machine for what I’m looking to do.

Reaction score
I have a synology 1019+ I considered using but really thought it was better to have a dedicated machine for what I’m looking to do.
in the end of things, it really is easier to have dedicated machine. Just makes things easier to troubleshoot / add / edit / etc. But if on a budget, gotta use what you gotta use.

TropDayz

n3wb
Reaction score
in the end of things, it really is easier to have dedicated machine. Just makes things easier to troubleshoot / add / edit / etc. But if on a budget, gotta use what you gotta use.
My synology is always packed with media so I knew space would be an issue from the start...

Reaction score
I will say...I tried using my Synology NAS with my 8TB Western Digital Purple for recordings and my USFF case Blue Iris (ultra small form factor case....bigger than a NUC but smaller than a standard PC case). I had issues with it that were beyond my comprehension to correct since I'm no network software/firewall expert.