Isolating network - mini router?

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It occurs to me that running an Ethernet cable outside poses a risk to my network...

Granted a pretty low risk that someone is going to get on my front porch, rip the camera off, and put a battery powered wifi router up for them to use to remotely try to hack into my network...

But still I was thinking of trying to isolate with some sort of mini & low powered firewall.

Comments / thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It occurs to me that running an Ethernet cable outside poses a risk to my network...

Granted a pretty low risk that someone is going to get on my front porch, rip the camera off, and put a battery powered wifi router up for them to use to remotely try to hack into my network...

But still I was thinking of trying to isolate with some sort of mini & low powered firewall.

Comments / thoughts?
Dont worry about it...you have a better chance of wining the lottery...
If you are really paranoid, You can put your cams on a vlan...or simply setup a notification if the camera looses a connection (this is easy if your vms software or NVR offers that option)..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Too many episodes of 'Person of Interest' etc? Or maybe you have some interesting assets like a Bitcoin repository.
But seriously, I think @fenderman is correct, not a great risk of physical intrusion to your network.
Remember though that your traffic can be readily sniffed over the air, though that does then require a fair effort to get anywhere if you have been thoughtful in the router/AP config choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You guys just might be right. :)

I do take precautions on my wifi, but planned on a separate guest wifi in the future with anything needing internal access to my network being wired.

In the end, for me, the risk is pretty darn low. For some people who might run ethernet out to the perimeter of their property in an isolated area, there might be more risk as there are less people to notice someone messing with your stuff.