Issue with OpenVPN + Blue Iris Mobile App

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently set up OpenVPN on my server at home. I am able to connect to it using my iPhone.

I was testing connecting to Blue Iris using just the browser. The IP address was 172.31.**.. This didn't work. I changed the interface to 192.168.1.64 and it worked. This was with OpenVPN running and being on WiFi

I then disconnect from my WiFi and it no longer works.

So OpenVPN is running, I am off my WiFi, and when I try to connect using 192.168.1.64 in the browser it doesn't load, and in the mobile app it says "Check network availability".

This is doubly strange because before when it wasn't working (while on WiFi with the original IP Address) it just wouldn't connect, it didn't say "Check network availability".

I am guessing there are some OpenVPN networking issues?

Can anyone recommend the next steps for troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks!

Bigbore050

n3wb
Reaction score
I am far for a expert but I had the same issue.

In my blue Iris Iphone app I set the WAN IP the same as the LAN IP and was able to connect through the VPN without wifi. Duno why it worked but its been running problem free for about a week now.

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
@Bigbore050 Did you do that with the IP similar to 192.168..? Interestingly I try to set my WAN to that and I press OK then go back to settings and the value for WAN is back to what it was before.

@SouthernYankee That is where I am stuck when I do that I get the errors described above. It says "Check network availability". It's strange because it says it even before I try to connect to the server too (when loading the app).

Bigbore050

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it is similar to 192.168 I just used the Lookup key function in the app to get that IP.

You may want to make sure the Lookup at each login option is not selected.

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
@Bigbore050 Thanks! I realized I was setting WAN in the Server software, not the mobile app, but it's still not working.

@SouthernYankee Please find screenshots attached.

I appreciate the help!

For what it's worth, I did not do the "Remote access Wizard".

server-config.png
IMG_8333.PNG
IMG_8331.PNG
IMG_8330.PNG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On your phone screen shots, I do not see the VPN icon for a connection. It is eather a green horse shoe or a key icon.
Please test with the VPN turned on.

Also Go into BI and create an actual user. Not local_console.

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
@SouthernYankee I created a new user, see screenshots below.

Also, it says "VPN" at the top of my screen, I've highlighted it below. This is with OpenVPN.

Does just seeing VPN mean it's not fully connected? Is there anything I can do to be sure? If I view the Server logs for OpenVPN it is showing lines for my cell.

Again, thanks so much for the help!

2-2.PNG
2-3.PNG
2-1.png

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but If you're strictly going to be using the VPN for access to BI, just leave the WAN field blank in the BI app. Since you connect via the VPN, it would be a local connection all the time and no WAN needed.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your VPN is connected.

OICU2, May have something, not sure, I do not have a WAN address in BI.

Just to verify, when your phone is on the Local Home wifi, it can connect to the BI server ?

IS there any messages in the Blue Iris status messages ... like .. server starting on port: 81

On the bI server PC try turning off the fire wall.

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
"Just to verify, when your phone is on the Local Home wifi, it can connect to the BI server?"
@SouthernYankee Yup! When Wifi is on I can connect.

"Maybe I'm missing something but If you're strictly going to be using the VPN for access to BI, just leave the WAN field blank in the BI app. Since you connect via the VPN, it would be a local connection all the time and no WAN needed."
@OICU2 If I remove the WAN address on the mobile app, the error I get is:
Check network availability

And if I add the WAN address to be the same as the LAN address:
Unable to make connection; check server address.

"IS there any messages in the Blue Iris status messages ... like .. server starting on port: 81"
Here is a screen shot:
3-1.png

"On the bI server PC try turning off the fire wall."
I disabled the Windows Firewall on the server, still no luck :(

"Are you still using BlueIris 4? If you are on 5 then you're pointing to the wrong directory.... that is my WAG.... (wild ass guess)"
@Beefarmer I am on 4.8.6.3 x64.

I was thinking that IP addresses for the Server when on WiFi vs. connected via VPN would be the same, maybe I am mistaken in my understanding? Is it possible the VPN is giving some address to networked machines that are different than the WiFi LAN address?

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
One other silly question: The server that is running Blue Iris is the same server that is running OpenVPN as the server. Do I also have to run the OpenVPN client on the server? Maybe the server just manages everything but doesn't make the Server a node on the network? I apologize for my rudimentary understanding of it.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
One other silly question: The server that is running Blue Iris is the same server that is running OpenVPN as the server. Do I also have to run the OpenVPN client on the server? Maybe the server just manages everything but doesn't make the Server a node on the network? I apologize for my rudimentary understanding of it.
That may be throwing a wrench in to things with the proper IP setup, maybe someone can chime in who's running the same. I am running OpenVPN but it is on a Linksys VPN box, model LRT214, gigabit VPN router.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not have the WAN address specified in BI.
I do not get the SERVER IP address in the message file.

I am not sure what the BI app and the BI server use to determine what address to use.

Your OpenVPN indicates that it is connected , in the screen shot above, So it is pass through the router fire wall and the BI PC firewall. I am not very knowledgeable on running OpenVPN on the BI pc.

Lets do something different.
1) connect to your mode network using OpenVPN
2) use your phones web browser to access UI3 .
If the IP address does not work, try Localhost:81 in the browser

IS there any information in the OpenVPN log files about the connects. Again I have know knowledge of this information.

ssddd65

n3wb
Reaction score
@OICU2 Ah yeah that makes sense. Hopefully, someone is running like this!

@SouthernYankee I tried both with IP and localhost like you suggested and neither works. There is connection information in OpenVPN. So I guess when on VPN it's not seeing Blue Iris at that IP. Since I can access it when on the network I think we narrowed down that it doesn't seem like a firewall issue but likely a networking issue with the VPN?

@looney2ns I have opened this port on my router and am able to connect with OpenVPN. The connection that's failing is to Blue Iris when on the VPN.

I wonder if there are any other tests I can try to access something else on my LAN while on VPN.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just A WAG, try using a different port then 81, try something high like 8081.

Just to double checking the OpenVPN is running on the BI server.
This sure seems like some kind of issue with routing and iptables.
Can you post the OpenVPN conf files, this is way out of my knowledge base.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I recall there is a setting to use OPENVPN when on local network only:

The setting was "Client will use VPN to access" and you can click either:
-Local Network Only
or
-internet and local network

click internet and local network