Issue with real time lag

culzero

n3wb
Reaction score
I searched the forums before posting this but could not find what I was looking for.

I have a dedicated server running Blue Iris v5
Server Specs: Pair Xenon E5-2670s, 32GB Ram, 250GB SSD, 4TB 7200RPM HD, Windows 7 Pro
All cameras are connected directly to Gigabit POE Switches. (Ubiquiti 48Port POE+)
I have a total of 15 Hikvision Cameras set up:
(13) DS-2CD2135F - 4MP dome
(1) DS-2CD2035 - 3MP mini bullet
(1) DS-2CD2385FWD - 8MP Turret

All cameras but the 8MP Turret camera will display live video without any issues through Blue Iris and the cameras own webpage.

The 8MP Turret camera will display live video without any issues on its own webpage only. When connected to Blue Iris, I get up to 20 seconds delay whenever any motion is involved.
This has caused Blue Iris to not record video.

I'm not sure what settings to post here for you all to give me some help, but I would be glad to reply to any comments looking for additional information.

I'm hoping that I have a simple setting issue vs having a bad camera.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please provide a screen shots. full frame
1) windows task manager sorted by memory (most at the top),
2) Blue iris status clip storage
3) blue Iris status cameras
4) on the 8MP camera BI properties the record tab.
5) on the 8MP camera BI properties the video tab.
6) on the 8MP camera properties the video configure tab.
7) on 8MP camera (not BI) the video main stream configuration (frame,iframe,smart codex....)

Is the Blue Iris PC connected directly to the camera switch ?

culzero

n3wb
Reaction score
1)
Memory 1.JPGMemory 2.JPGCPU Usage.JPG

2)
Clips Storage.JPG

3)
Camera Tab.JPG

4)
Record Tab.JPG

5)
Video Tab.JPG

6)

Video Config.JPG

7)

Main Stream.JPG

9) Due to physical limitations the server is currently connected to a ATT Gigabit router and then to the 48port Ubiquiti switch. the cameras are all connected to the 48 port switch.
all connections are gigabit

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the BI PC is connected to the router, that may be your problem. All the video traffic is being firewall processed in the router. Your router can not keep up.

Need screen shots from the BI STATUS (BI 5) the graph button on the upper let.
2) Blue iris status clip storage
3) blue Iris status cameras

I would set the frame rate and the Iframe to 15 on the 8MP camera

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My only lag suggestions are
1) to get the BI machine onto the switch
2) reduce the frame rates of all your cameras to 15 FPS.
3) increase the receive buffer to 20 MB on the 8 MP camera

I have not tested this but I believe that BI will only run on one CPU, it will not effectively use a dual cpu configuration.

You should be continuously recording on your cameras if you are have that high a number of motion events is that short a time.

Most of the xeon processore are running a lot less Cameras and a lower data rate. Blue Iris Update Helper

This will not fixed your problem but
1) Do not use time (limit clip age) to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 4 GB.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.

Last edited:

culzero

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you for the help.
I'll try your recommendations and see how that effects the camera.
I have tested the multi CPU with BI multiple times and it will only run on one processor.
The dual processor seems to allow me the ability to use the computer like normal while still being able to run BI without issues

I may try switching the 8MP camera to continuous recording instead of triggering if the above suggestions don't improve

culzero

n3wb
Reaction score
so i changed frame rate to 15FPS and increased buffer to 20MB
those two changes alone made a significant difference
i'll eventually get the server on the same switch as the camera to see if anymore improvement follows

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 8MP Turret camera will display live video without any issues on its own webpage only. When connected to Blue Iris, I get up to 20 seconds delay whenever any motion is involved.
This has caused Blue Iris to not record video.

You have a 10 sec pre-trigger, this will delay live viewby that amount of time. Via the camera you see real-tima as it happens, with BI it is delayed.

BI should still record the event... that's what puzzles me.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
3) increase the receive buffer to 20 MB on the 8 MP camera
in general, there's no point in frame rates higher than 10-15 for most surveillance purposes, so that helps, but the buffer was most likely the big issue for that stream

You have a 10 sec pre-trigger, this will delay live viewby that amount of time.
i'd disagree with that. I run 3-5 sec prebuffer on 16+ cams and don't have anywhere near that much lag on any of em.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I noticed your are using VBR for the cam you posted. Try switching to CBR then test recording performance. I had a similar problem with lag & missing recorded events, even thou the alert pic showed the event. CBR fixed the problem if you can handle the increase in bitrate.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
so i changed frame rate to 15FPS and increased buffer to 20MB
those two changes alone made a significant difference
i'll eventually get the server on the same switch as the camera to see if anymore improvement follows
I gotta give this guy HUGE props on posting all that info. Sometimes when someone ("we" included) asks for all of this, it can come across as condescending. Thanks for taking it as we're only trying to help you.

Also you're somewhat new so, welcome aboard! (There's quite a few from TX here even if its not specified in the profile). gig'em!