Issues with nighttime view on my Hikvision camera, how to troubleshoot

JBoDEAN

n3wb
Reaction score
During the day picture is fine
During the nighttime, I can't see anything. Any idea how to troubleshoot? Would changing x265 to x264 make it better? I am going to try to clean the lense but judging by daytime pick that isn't the issue.

Attachments

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
need a little more information - type of camera - settings ...etc to be able to help you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
During the day picture is fine
During the nighttime, I can't see anything. Any idea how to troubleshoot? Would changing x265 to x264 make it better? I am going to try to clean the lense but judging by daytime pick that isn't the issue.
See the pdf here. This is common in domes that are improperly installed. Your issue is IR reflection.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
my guess is it's a dome-type cam and you either have a bad seal from the foam ring to the glass inside or have some external lighting incident on the dome, or both

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
As @mikeynags said a little more info will help. I have a couple of 4mp Hiks and the only way I could get night viewing acceptable for myself was more light. In my case I use external IR lights. My 2mp Dahuas do much better at night. Edit: now that I see the night view that does look like a dome issue.

JBoDEAN

n3wb
Reaction score
As @mikeynags said a little more info will help. I have a couple of 4mp Hiks and the only way I could get night viewing acceptable for myself was more light. In my case I use external IR lights. My 2mp Dahuas do much better at night. Edit: now that I see the night view that does look like a dome issue.
Thanks. Cleaned off the dome, was fine for 2 days, and back to foggy view. Currently looking for a replacement hikvision camera for backyard.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
as i suspected: dome. There's a little pack of dessicant inside the camera that probably needs to be either replaced or you can dry it out in a low oven. That keeps moisture from fogging up the inside of your dome, assuming your dome seals and foam ring are in good shape and well placed...