items to buy along with cameras

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
There is an article in the wiki with popular tools and accessories

MrMotofy

n3wb
Reaction score
Using that reasoning, why stop with at, bt is more powerful New IEEE 802.3bt Next Gen POE has been ratified

Sure if money is no object. My answer would be a brand new spec doesn't have a large need yet in most cases. Products requiring it will take a while, brands and product availability will take a while before general market. Just like the others did. As time goes on it will provide more equipment options. Will be fun to see new uses and problems solved. On the downside it will add to the confusion for those who don't have a full understanding of it. Then they'll find forums like this where they ask questions like I plugged it in but it doesn't work what do I do.

I'm guessing you already knew that. But maybe others don't understand product development and economics

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Regarding the switch choice. Keep in mind cameras are the "crack" of the tech world. You're talking about maybe six cameras but I'd plan for double that number. This stuff is very addicting. I'd be looking at a sixteen port switch just to be able to handle further additions.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you do go 16 port make sure you look at the max power rating of the switch, some have the same rating as an 8 port which would mean that logically they may not be able to provide enough power all the devices plugged in at the same time.

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@GKyle840 does your motherboard have one or two ethernet ports? If two, you keep one connected to your router for internet access, and the other connected to the POE switch, which creates a separate physical network for the cams. That way you don't need a managed switch running vlans. I have this BV Tech switch:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754P9KLN/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0754P9KLN&pd_rd_w=6YY7a&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=qPQuQ&pf_rd_r=BGK3A8ZNX5M7CRG9QF07&pd_rd_r=99215022-219d-11e9-8307-3d1db5d50469
This one gives you 8 ports for cameras, plus two separate ports - one for connecting to your computer, and another for expanding to another switch if needed. The one you linked has 8 ports total, so you could only run 7 cams on it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GKyle840

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.