iVMS-4200 Doesn't See My Old or New Hikvision Cameras

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the SADP program, the ID numbers of each camera do NOT match the NVR GUI information. For example, SADP says camera #1's IP address is x.11 when in the NVR GUI list that is actually D4.

Also, in the NVR GUI camera interface, D4 is actually camera #3 while D1 is camera #1, D5 is camera #5, and D6 is camera #6.

Any idea what is going on?

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Post a screenshot of what SADP shows when the PC is connected to a spare NVR PoE port.
What does the VGA/HDMI interface show for the NVR network settings for the PoE interface and for the LAN interface?

Gives some examples - you need to be more specific, some more actual facts.
Post a screenshot of what SADP shows when the PC is connected to a spare NVR PoE port.
What does the VGA/HDMI interface show for the NVR network settings for the PoE interface and for the LAN interface?

Gives some examples - you need to be more specific, some more actual facts.
upload_2017-1-30_14-33-58.png

What info are you looking for, for the VGA/HDMI interface?

For example, if I refresh the SADP list, camera ID #1 moves to ID #4, ID #3 moves to ID #1, etc. They never stay in the same order as the NVR GUI list of cameras. I also unplugged all of them and started over and found out that the SADP list does NOT correspond to the NVR GUI list. Wow. That's been confusing me for days!!!

Last edited:

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, what I have found out so far about my equipment.

I have 5 old Chinese cameras (CH in the serial numbers).
I have 3 new Western Region cameras (WR in the serial numbers) which my NVR won't recognize I'm assuming because of a password mismatch.

I don't know if I have a Chinese NVR or not. The serial # is a bunch of numbers with the letters BBRR in the middle of it, more numbers, and then the letters WCVU at the end. Is this a Chinese serial # or a WR # or what? I know I tried to upgrade the firmware using the WR exe but it wouldn't let me so it may be Chinese.

And for some reason, SADP won't let me make the old camera passwords STRONG.
It also won't let me make the new camera passwords WEAK but I understand that.

SADP still won't show the NVR. I wish it did. Maybe then I could change the password to match the new cameras and then change the old camera passwords to match the NVR and the new cameras and then maybe ALL of the cameras would come up online.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In the SADP program, the ID numbers of each camera do NOT match the NVR GUI information
You are reading too much into this, making assumptions.
SADP just lists the cameras in the order they respond on the network - nothing at all to do with any channel on the NVR that they are plugged in to.
Refresh SADP - and they will appear differently, depending on who gets there first in terms of tiny fractions of a second on the network.
Presumably that explains 'the camera IP addresses are always changing'. They won't be if you ignore the order in the SADP list and compare IP address against their serial number, for example.

What info are you looking for, for the VGA/HDMI interface?
The network settings for the PoE interface, and the LAN interface.

The bottom line is:
The IP address of, say, the camera that is plugged into NVR PoE physical port number 4 must be the same as the IP address of the NVR channel number 4.
Normally, you would simply change the camera IP address to match using SADP.

It is strange that the NVR isn't listed by SADP - normally it would appear in the SADP list as well as the cameras when the PC is connected to a spare PoE port.
Can you connect the NVR LAN port to your router easily?

also unplugged all of them and started over and found out that the SADP list does NOT correspond to the NVR GUI list. Wow. That's been confusing me for days!!!
As explained above - it just lists them as it finds them on the network.

Maybe then I could change the password to match the new cameras and then change the old camera passwords to match the NVR and the new cameras and then maybe ALL of the cameras would come up online.
SADP is happy with passwords, the cameras are all 'active', and presumably you know what you set them to. If so - best left well alone for now.

One more time - when your PC is connected to an unused NVR PoE port, set the PC IP address to 192.168.254.100
Start the browser and put http://192.168.254.1 in the address bar and hit Enter.
Normally you'd reach the NVR web interface.
Try the same with the camera IP addresses, and confirm that you get the login prompts, and can access them with the passwords that you set.

I have 3 new Western Region cameras (WR in the serial numbers) which my NVR won't recognize I'm assuming because of a password mismatch.
If that was the case it would actually say so.
You need to suppress those assumptions ...

*edit* By the way - I just noticed that 2 of the cameras have the same IP address.
Unplug one for now.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are reading too much into this, making assumptions.
SADP just lists the cameras in the order they respond on the network - nothing at all to do with any channel on the NVR that they are plugged in to.
Refresh SADP - and they will appear differently, depending on who gets there first in terms of tiny fractions of a second on the network.
Presumably that explains 'the camera IP addresses are always changing'. They won't be if you ignore the order in the SADP list and compare IP address against their serial number, for example.

The network settings for the PoE interface, and the LAN interface.

The bottom line is:
The IP address of, say, the camera that is plugged into NVR PoE physical port number 4 must be the same as the IP address of the NVR channel number 4.
Normally, you would simply change the camera IP address to match using SADP.

It is strange that the NVR isn't listed by SADP - normally it would appear in the SADP list as well as the cameras when the PC is connected to a spare PoE port.
Can you connect the NVR LAN port to your router easily?

As explained above - it just lists them as it finds them on the network.

SADP is happy with passwords, the cameras are all 'active', and presumably you know what you set them to. If so - best left well alone for now.

One more time - when your PC is connected to an unused NVR PoE port, set the PC IP address to 192.168.254.100
Start the browser and put http://192.168.254.1 in the address bar and hit Enter.
Normally you'd reach the NVR web interface.
Try the same with the camera IP addresses, and confirm that you get the login prompts, and can access them with the passwords that you set.

If that was the case it would actually say so.
You need to suppress those assumptions ...

*edit* By the way - I just noticed that 2 of the cameras have the same IP address.
Unplug one for now.
Whew! Ok. No more assumptions since I have no clue how things work anyway. :)

The SADP list "always changing" is a relief lol.

I've tried the unused port several times but it always "times out" and never connects.

But I'll try it again.

****Do I need a DNS server address entered when I'm changing the laptop IP address? It asks for one but I've been leaving it blank.

****Also, when in SADP and I double click on the camera listing, it's supposed to open a browser and go to the camera settings. So mine opens the browser but times out.

****Any connection between the two and why won't the browsers open?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried the unused port several times but it always "times out" and never connects.
This suggests that the PC IP address is perhaps not in the 192.168.254.x range.
At a command prompt on the PC, use 'ipconfig /all' to see the IP address for the Local Area Network interface.
Also - while you are there, try 'ping 192.168.254.1' or ping <any_camera_IP_address>'

***Do I need a DNS server address entered when I'm changing the laptop IP address? It asks for one but I've been leaving it blank.
No, not required.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sheesh. I just can't get anything to work so I'm giving up unfortunately for now. But I thank you Alastair and Ralph for trying to help me. I'm sure I'll be back later at some point.

CarmenSF

n3wb
Reaction score
Checking in here, as I read through this entire thread, with a similar issue, selfishly hoping for the payoff of resolution at the end.
@wapaper59- did you get your cameras up and running? And, if so, how?