iVMS-4500 Port forwarding

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First make sure you've entered a valid gateway in network setup.
By default, camera uses ports 80, 8000, 554, so these ports needs to be forwarded properly in your router. In order iVMS4500 to work properly you need ports 8000 and 554, using can u see me. org you can check external IP if those ports are open or not.
If they're open iVMS4500 should work OK.

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It depends on the firmware version of the camera/DVR, but in most cases live streaming in IVMS4200/4500 goes through port 554.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on the firmware version of the camera/DVR, but in most cases live streaming in IVMS4200/4500 goes through port 554.
I have had the opposite experience....every hikvision camera i've tested including the earliest v5 though 5.3.0 only require the media port (default 8000) to remote view via ivms4500. Not sure what firmware the OP is using..

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have to admit you're totally right. Long time ago I've had a bad experience by skipping the 554 port, and since then I always forward the RTSP port just to safe troubles. Now I double checked, and can confirm ivms software doesn't require RTSP port.
RTSP port is required for the latest 72xx DVRs and Turbo DVRs when live viewing through a Web browser.
But nevertheless, it always can save troubles like it did with the author of this thread.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to admit you're totally right. Long time ago I've had a bad experience by skipping the 554 port, and since then I always forward the RTSP port just to safe troubles. Now I double checked, and can confirm ivms software doesn't require RTSP port.
RTSP port is required for the latest 72xx DVRs and Turbo DVRs when live viewing through a Web browser.
But nevertheless, it always can save troubles like it did with the author of this thread.
so now we are back to the original question as to why forwarding 554 solves the problem. The thing I noticed was in OP's screen shot, the port is called SDK port and not the media port...not sure of the significance of that. Could that be a screen shot of the NVR and not the camera? Its been a while since I looked at a hik NVR web interface..

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recently I asked Hikvision about 554 port, and they said this port is required regardless if you use iVMS4200/4500 or Web. Probably it depends on the device model, firmware version or iVMS version, and there're always situations where this port is used.
Anyway.. With Hikvision always expect the unexpected :).

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to follow this thread. I too would like to enable access to my cam to my iPhone externally while not connected to my local network. Currently I have the local IP of my NVR and I can access video just fine.

My router has two options, Port Forwarding and Port Triggering. Which should I configure?

Am I mapping my internal NVR 8084 ----> 8000 for TCP and UDP on my router?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to follow this thread. I too would like to enable access to my cam to my iPhone externally while not connected to my local network. Currently I have the local IP of my NVR and I can access video just fine.

My router has two options, Port Forwarding and Port Triggering. Which should I configure?

Am I mapping my internal NVR 8084 ----> 8000 for TCP and UDP on my router?
Setup port forwarding...for the NVR I believe you need port the rtsp port (default 554) and the media/sdk port (default 8000) forwarded.
simple match the external ports to the internal ports...
Dont forward http as its not needed and is a bigger security risk.
Another more secure option is to setup a vpn..

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Netgear WNDR3700. I think it has VPN capability.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like the WNDR3700 doesn't support VPN termination so it will not work.