IVS option missing

ss205c

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have NVR5416 and several IPC-HFW8232E-Z

The IVS option appears on the NVR, but is missing when I login to the cameras. It is also missing from smartpss.

The problem is, I cant seem to get any of the plugins to work for chrome / safari and thought this could be done from smartpss.

NVR, camers and smartpss all state they are the latest version when searching for firmware update.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get the iVS options to appear on smartpss?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello,

I have NVR5416 and several IPC-HFW8232E-Z

The IVS option appears on the NVR, but is missing when I login to the cameras. It is also missing from smartpss.

The problem is, I cant seem to get any of the plugins to work for chrome / safari and thought this could be done from smartpss.

NVR, camers and smartpss all state they are the latest version when searching for firmware update.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get the iVS options to appear on smartpss?

Is Smart Codec on? If so then you need to turn it off, it can't be use with IVS.

ss205c

n3wb
Reaction score
Is Smart Codec on? If so then you need to turn it off, it can't be use with IVS.
Genius! Now iVS appears when logged into the cameras, but still not on smartpss. Any suggestion to get it to appear on smartpss, or how to get plugin working for safari or chrome? I have read several threads on the latter....seems like no good solution?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Genius! Now iVS appears when logged into the cameras, but still not on smartpss. Any suggestion to get it to appear on smartpss, or how to get plugin working for safari or chrome? I have read several threads on the latter....seems like no good solution?

There is no plugins for Safari or Chrome. You need a browser that support ActiveX which is the internet explorer on a Windows OS.

I don't know if Mac SmartPSS have IVS or not. The Windows SmartPSS does but I rather set IVS within the camera itself. I notice I have less issues when I configure the setting using camera built in GUI over the SmartPSS.

I only use SmartPSS to view and playback recordings.

Bill

ss205c

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no plugins for Safari or Chrome. You need a browser that support ActiveX which is the internet explorer on a Windows OS.

I don't know if Mac SmartPSS have IVS or not. The Windows SmartPSS does but I rather set IVS within the camera itself. I notice I have less issues when I configure the setting using camera built in GUI over the SmartPSS.

I only use SmartPSS to view and playback recordings.

Bill
I got the feed working in Safari by using encode modge h.264h instead of 265 which finally enable me to draw my firs iVS tripwire (zig zag of course)

Except now I cant get my gmail smtp to authenticate for notification. Wondering if this could be my firewall. Also wondering if push notifications on the app are preferred by most of email notification? If so, I would have to leave my vpn connection open, wonder how much cell data that would burn through?

Thanks for all your help, I've read numerous posts from you throughout the forum while I was doing my initial camera research, all very helpful!

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I got the feed working in Safari by using encode modge h.264h instead of 265 which finally enable me to draw my firs iVS tripwire (zig zag of course)

Except now I cant get my gmail smtp to authenticate for notification. Wondering if this could be my firewall. Also wondering if push notifications on the app are preferred by most of email notification? If so, I would have to leave my vpn connection open, wonder how much cell data that would burn through?

Thanks for all your help, I've read numerous posts from you throughout the forum while I was doing my initial camera research, all very helpful!

At default, Gmail won't allow 3rd party app SMTP to send email through it. You will need to go Gmail setting to set to allow it.

Bill

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
if push notifications on the app are preferred by most of email notification?
I use push w/ gDMSS on phone. Notifications of an "event" take 5 to 10 seconds - MUCH MUCH faster than email. Email notifications can take 30 seconds to 5 minutes.
I do use email to receive the snapshot. (Using Gmail filters, I don't receive email alerts unless they contain a snapshot)
So, when I'm out and about:
  1. Immediate push notification on phone of an event.
  2. Ability to playback a short video of the event.
  3. Snapshot to my email inbox

For viewing, I use Pale Moon as the browser. No problem using a plug-in for reaching the NVR.

Last edited:

ss205c

n3wb
Reaction score
I use push w/ gDMSS on phone. Notifications of an "event" take 5 to 10 seconds - MUCH MUCH faster than email. Email notifications can take 30 seconds to 5 minutes.
I do use email to receive the snapshot. (Using Gmail filters, I don't receive email alerts unless they contain a snapshot)
So, when I'm out and about:
  1. Immediate push notification on phone of an event.
  2. Ability to playback a short video of the event.
  3. Snapshot to my email inbox

For viewing, I use Pale Moon as the browser. No problem using a plug-in for reaching the NVR.
Thanks for the insight. I would need to keep my VPN connection open from my cell phone to network. I wonder how much data that would burn through. Still struggling with gmail. I enabled gmail to permit less secure apps but still no dice.

ss205c

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I would need to keep my VPN connection open from my cell phone to network. I wonder how much data that would burn through. Still struggling with gmail. I enabled gmail to permit less secure apps but still no dice.
I figured it out. First, based on a google search I pinged smtp.gmail.com and put the ip address as the server instead of smtp.gmail.com and secondly I forgot to update the DNS address. Now it works! Still curious how much data my cell would draw keeping the vpn open.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd double check your assumption that your NVR can't send text (the push notification) without the vpn. Squirting out a one way push notification is not the same as allowing inbound access to your NVR from the internet.
It's been a while since I set up gDMSS on my phone. That said, I don't remember it asking for my home's ip addr....
The push notification can be set up to send a snapshot. Keeping the setup as one-way, transmit outbound only.....

Still curious how much data my cell would draw keeping the vpn open.
Your router may have a "statistics" page, so you can see the Tx and Rx data usage. You can zero it out, and then see what the vpn "keep alive" consumes.

Good luck!

Fastb

ss205c

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been unable to get IVS tripwire working. I tried through smartpss and through the camera interface directly via safari and pale moon browsers. Everything appears to be set up correctly, and when I walk through the plane, I get a yellow box around me, but I am never able to cross the blue lines, no matter how close to the camera I get. Its almost like the lines are in a different dimension. Do you guys have any suggestions for this newb?

upload_2018-4-7_14-48-44.png

Attachments

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My experience is that the object tracking box has to completely cross the blue line to trigger a tripwire. I've had cars drive right through the blue line without a trigger because the tracking box was too big. Try placing a tripwire line somewhere else in the frame so you can move the tracking box totally past it and see what happens. Or use something shorter/smaller to test. I've seen some posts saying that it might be better to use intrusion instead of tripwire.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
the object tracking box has to completely cross the blue line to trigger a tripwire.
I respectfully disagree. Only 50% of the box must cross the line, based on what i've read, and from personal viewing of the box, as it crosses the line, and when the blue lines begins to flash red.

how do you set up IVS on a Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-Z?

nayr said "when that square gets 50% across the line it triggers your event."
Dahua IPC-HFW4421D-AS Audio 4MP HD WDR Network LXIR Bullet

nayr: "for linecross Fastb is right, it dont trigger when object hits the line.. it triggers when the object is half way across the line."
Dahua NVR 5216 - trip wire & SMS problems

The NVR must be able to deal with IVS. Early, I could use IVS when I surfed to the cam. But no IVS when using the NVR UI. Until I updated NVR f/w. "Smart Detect" feature of Dahua camera!

when that square gets 50% across the line it triggers your event.
when I walk through the plane, I get a yellow box around me, but I am never able to cross the blue lines, no matter how close to the camera I get. Its almost like the lines are in a different dimension. Do you guys have any suggestions for this newb?
My suggestion: Figure out why you get a yellow box, instead of green.

Here is me trying to intersect the blue lines....but cant.
Green box! Good.
Your zig zag line may require the green box to cross the 50% threshold for that zig zag. Making a 50% threshold a little tricky to calculate? Just a guess. Test: Instead of a zig zag, create 3 seperate trip wires.

Good luck!

Fastb

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. Only 50% of the box must cross the line, based on what i've read, and from personal viewing of the box, as it crosses the line, and when the blue lines begins to flash red.
You are correct. Here's a shot of my 5231 triggering a tripwire. Motion is from the right to the left.
Capture.JPG
And thanks for not seeing my mistake as an opportunity for a personal attack as "sometimes" happens here.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@tigerwillow1,
\fake rant on:
  • My box of pet rocks knows how to amble across IVS lines better than you do!
  • Or your pathetic dog!
  • I'd never have a dog that heads to "The Left"! Patriots have dogs that only head to "The Right"!!
  • Is your head stuck up your Green Box?
Here's a shot of my 5231 triggering a tripwire.
  • Who the hell names their dog "5231" ?? Are you Linus Pauling? Half your dog's name is made of Prime Numbers.
  • Why not name your dog based on Pi?
  • For those not living with a box of rocks, the short version of pi is: 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034825
  • Is that too hard for you to understand?

• (satire - said in jest)

\fake rant off

And thanks for not seeing my mistake as an opportunity for a personal attack as "sometimes" happens here.
tigerwillow1, you typically offer thoughtful and polite advice. As I also try to do.
You've helped me in the past. Thoughtfully.
I wanted ss205c to receive solid advice in this forum. I spent time in my reply, and researching past posts.
I'm still "paying it backward" for the advice I received, as a newbie, from the pros here.

tiggerwillow1, maybe we can set an example of how to respond. Like when posters make mistakes.

Keep to the high ground,
Best Regards,
Fastb

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been unable to get IVS tripwire working. I tried through smartpss and through the camera interface directly via safari and pale moon browsers. Everything appears to be set up correctly, and when I walk through the plane, I get a yellow box around me, but I am never able to cross the blue lines, no matter how close to the camera I get. Its almost like the lines are in a different dimension. Do you guys have any suggestions for this newb?

View attachment 28414
I've had far more luck with intrusion boxes

ss205c

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally got them to trip, but unreliably so. Based on the various posts throughout the forum it seems like folks are having pretty high accuracy rates. Since mine are low, on multiple cameras, it leads me to believe I am missing something. I will give the intrusion box a shot. If that doesn't work, I may just have to go the PIR route, even though I was hoping I wouldn't need to. Thank you everyone for the incredible support in getting this set up!

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally got them to trip, but unreliably so. Based on the various posts throughout the forum it seems like folks are having pretty high accuracy rates. Since mine are low, on multiple cameras, it leads me to believe I am missing something. I will give the intrusion box a shot. If that doesn't work, I may just have to go the PIR route, even though I was hoping I wouldn't need to. Thank you everyone for the incredible support in getting this set up!
Post back with the intrusion box results

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's an example of an object too large to trigger a tripwire. A squirrel would trigger it every time. I need to try intrusion box, too.

truckUndetected.jpg