Dahua IPC-HFW4421D-AS Audio 4MP HD WDR Network LXIR Bullet

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua IPC-HFW4421D-AS 4MP LXIR Bullet

source: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Dahua-DH-IPC-HFW4421D-AS-Audio-4MP-HD-WDR-Network-LXIR-Bullet-Camera-CCTV-IP/32521895436.html
dahua: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hfw4421d-as-1200.html

Initial Feedback: Great upgrade, was easy to replace my previous bullet.. image is outstanding, I think 6mm is much better in this location.. alot more features on it than I was expecting.

Its snowing right now, it only got installed because it was an upgrade and only took about 10mins to swap out.. I'll get some samples here soon, I am very looking forward to seeing what the LXIR does at night.

really short cause its damn cold, my leather jacket and neoprene boots just glow despite the fact they they are black.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Daytime and Nighttime Before/After, settings are still default for video.. (old is a 2MP 3.6mm HFW2200S)

Attachments

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Your aliexpress link doesn't work. As far as image quality it's as expected for 1/3 sensor, daytime is wonderful, night time is underwhelming. Although, looks like a step up from that older cam. Also, IR doesn't seem to be powerful enough, at least I expected a projector out of it, like the two IRs I have in Huisun.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IR is actually pretty decent, much better than the ring of lil LED's.. the tree in the middle of the frame is 50ft away from the camera and in this shot its all camera IR.

I am going to use the facial detection on this camera to trigger a relay hooked to red/blue strobes between 11pm and 6am, tha'll freak anyone out snooping about.. the alarm input I want to hook up an outdoor motion sensor and point it towards the back yard for lighting/security/ptz

it has some cool stuff like vehicle detection, loitering detection, people gathering, fast moving, abandoned/missing, tripwire, facial detection, audio detection, and alarm IO's..

the old cam was basically a freebie and has long since needed an upgrade, its doing really good now as a cat cam.. next up the back patio will go to a 2.8mm wide angle so it can view the whole back yard and tell the ptz whats going on where.

Attachments

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: Dahua IPC-HFW4421D-AS 4MP LXIR Bullet

Let me know how you get face detection to work. I have no idea what the box in a box does. I'm assuming the bigger box is the general area you want it looking at and the smaller box should be head size.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
it has some cool stuff like vehicle detection, loitering detection, people gathering, fast moving, abandoned/missing, tripwire, facial detection, audio detection, and alarm IO's..
Those are cool features, I am really impressed what Dahua is doing with their firmware and would probably would get one as soon as they offer better sensors. 1/3 size is just so prehistoric now. Even cheap smartphones use larger sensor

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those are cool features, I am really impressed what Dahua is doing with their firmware and would probably would get one as soon as they offer better sensors. 1/3 size is just so prehistoric now. Even cheap smartphones use larger sensor
Who's making bigger sensors in the same price range?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Who's making bigger sensors in the same price range?

Almost no one, except Longse/Cantonk s500 with IMX178. The 2MP 1/2.8 is a compromise which you can find in a lot of cams as well as Dahua/Hikvision

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
actually Sony is making the sensors, Longse.. along with Dahua and Hikvision couldent make a sensor if there lives depended on it..

the bigger cmos sizes have been 'Starlight' cameras, and dahua does offer them.. just only at 2MP right now, and its horribly expensive..

there is alot more to a camera than the size of its sensor, this camera has quite ample IR for anything within its detection range.. would it be nice to see clearly at night well beyond its identification range? sure would be, will it be usefull at all? not much.. I cant ID people in day time walking down the sidewalk/road, at night I dont expect that to change.

1/3rd is not a dinosaur, its the defacto standard.. last time I looked there were hundreds of thousands of lenses on Ali for 1/3rd or smaller sized sensors.. just a few hundred for the big 1/2in sensors.. the IPCamera market moves like a dinosaur compared to the smartphone markets.. but we dont go out and buy new ipcameras twice a year either do we?

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I know what he means about the IR of The mini ptz. It looks literally like a flashlight when viewed from my other camera. For play purposes I have my domes and ptz in my sunroom and the domes ir won't come on with the ptz on.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this looks like a flashlight too when viewed from my other cameras, leaves a nice sharp shadow cast by that tree when I view it with my front door camera..

in that last capture I attached, there is absolutely zero ambient lighting.. that corner is pitch black, if you walk over there you cant see your hand touching your eye.. so everything thats litup between the camera and the tree is entirely onboard IR.. at 50ft distance that tree is looking mighty lit up for a fixed camera IR..

that night video still had visible lighting on, as it was before midnight and Ive made those lights purposefully a pain to turn off.. if you do the'll come back on within a min. I think if the IR was any more powerfull my face would have just been overexposed in that video.. sure lit my black jacket up like a neon sign.

its also pretty much default video settings right now, no advanced exposure processing or anything is enabled in this capture.. the IR on this is comparable to my 4x MiniPTZ, perhaps even better... not as powerful as my Big black face PTZ tho, that thing will actually make your eyes water from 100ft if you try to right down the barrel of it.

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tuned the camera up so get a better image at night, exposure: low motion blur, shutter: 1/120, blc mode: off, 3dnr: 40.. image is a bit darker in poorly lit areas, but the LXIR is still lighting up the target area quite fine even with such a high shutter at night.. has really reduced noise and my security lighting is more useful when it is on.

also been playing with the IVS features, mainly line cross detection.. with it enabled it tracks moving objects and draws a green square around it.. when that square gets 50% across the line it triggers your event.. so it wont trigger when my feet cross the drawn line, but when my waist does.. the line is drawn right between the front line of our two houses.. its the tripwire sensor I've been wanting but couldn't mount onto my neighbors house.

so far had no false alarms with a bit more snow and alot of traffic, with my driveway ending at a T intersection video motion over here was worthless, as everyone pulling out of the cul-de-sac sweeps there headlamps across this dark corner.. I record 24/7 but still want an alarm triggering if anyone is over here, only reason to be over here is to mow the grass and I am more concerned about after dark.

Right now I have the line cross instructing both my PTZ's that there is activity over there, so they are ready and waiting for anyone the moment they step out of this camera's view.. if all works well I am going to hook the alarm output on the camera up to one of these with a PoE 12v adapter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HF3N8N6/ref=twister_B01BAI3J5S I think tha'll get there attention in a hurry.

Note you only get one IVS feature at a time, so line cross or facial detection.. wont give you both, likely needs more resources than it has to enable multiples.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

@nayr I've been very happy with line crossing feature.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
here are some final install photos, my paint job is awesome as always.. the padlock is rusting after a couple years, nothing else has.

need to dig out some cable wrap for the wire bundle.. just not on the top of my list right now.

Attachments

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
tuned the camera up so get a better image at night, exposure: low motion blur, shutter: 1/120, blc mode: off, 3dnr: 40.. image is a bit darker in poorly lit areas, but the LXIR is still lighting up the target area quite fine even with such a high shutter at night.. has really reduced noise and my security lighting is more useful when it is on.

also been playing with the IVS features, mainly line cross detection.. with it enabled it tracks moving objects and draws a green square around it.. when that square gets 50% across the line it triggers your event.. so it wont trigger when my feet cross the drawn line, but when my waist does.. the line is drawn right between the front line of our two houses.. its the tripwire sensor I've been wanting but couldn't mount onto my neighbors house.

so far had no false alarms with a bit more snow and alot of traffic, with my driveway ending at a T intersection video motion over here was worthless, as everyone pulling out of the cul-de-sac sweeps there headlamps across this dark corner.. I record 24/7 but still want an alarm triggering if anyone is over here, only reason to be over here is to mow the grass and I am more concerned about after dark.

Right now I have the line cross instructing both my PTZ's that there is activity over there, so they are ready and waiting for anyone the moment they step out of this camera's view.. if all works well I am going to hook the alarm output on the camera up to one of these with a PoE 12v adapter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HF3N8N6/ref=twister_B01BAI3J5S I think tha'll get there attention in a hurry.

Note you only get one IVS feature at a time, so line cross or facial detection.. wont give you both, likely needs more resources than it has to enable multiples.
You can find 12v strobes cheaper on ebay.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
oh i know I can find cheaper ones, I am looking for bright ones that I can aim.. I have neighbors bedrooms above and I'd rather not light them up (under the eave should help but id rather direct most of it out of this corner) but I'd like it to reflect around so I can also setup other automation rules to trigger it that may not be in direct view but could still make someone jump as it bounces off trees and houses.. should be effective for other locations as they wont really know the source of the lights.

a few other things will trigger the strobe, such as my mailbox/parcelbox/gates opening up unreasonably late at night.. I am not always awake/home to chase off prowlers.. wish pulling on my door handles lit my dome light up, if it did I'd have a z-wave sensor hidden in my dash that would trigger red/blue strobes when they try my doors haha.

could also fire it up on people doing 60mph past my license plate camera hehe. so day time visibility and not waking neighbors = fun times making ppl freak

motion lights dont do shit, I am hoping some cherries and berries get the desired effect.. and hey I am not putting them on a vehicle so its legal. :)

had one false alarm on line cross from a big ass moth, then I turned on my bug zapper a few feet to out of frame to the right and havent had much bug issues since.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

@nayr I bought the eBay ones and put them on my son's bike. They were very bright. You would have thought the popo was outside.

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks really great, did you call the police on that shifty looking guy?