JBOD Disk Enclosure or NAS?

Reaction score
I'm looking to add some external storage to my Blue Iris setup.

A couple of options I am considering:

Would it make sense to do software raid / Windows Storage Spaces with the disks and go with USB3 / Thunderbolt for attaching to the PC?

Or would it make sense to build a dedicated TrueNAS rig and map a network drive to SMB share? iSCSI?

Your thoughts, comments, questions are welcome!

Gerald

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to add some external storage to my Blue Iris setup.

A couple of options I am considering:

Would it make sense to do software raid / Windows Storage Spaces with the disks and go with USB3 / Thunderbolt for attaching to the PC?

Or would it make sense to build a dedicated TrueNAS rig and map a network drive to SMB share? iSCSI?

Your thoughts, comments, questions are welcome!

Gerald
I guess throughput will matter on this question ..

Reaction score
35 cameras, with potential to grow to about 50. Mostly 2K, a couple of dual 4k, a couple of 1080p.

I would like about 8 x 20TB disks in a pool of some sort, presenting as a single drive to my computer.

Computer is i9-12900k with 128gb ram and Intel 8 TB U.2 datacenter SSD for boot drive.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure if any of this is helpful, but I have more than 30 and less than 40 cameras. All are 2K/4MP with a couple 4K/8MP. I originally started with a RAID 5 setup with three 8TB drives. I then realized I am more likely to lose data to being overwritten than to hardware failure. I ended up putting them into a JBOD configuration. While I was at it I also clagged on a couple other drives I had laying around. Fortunately, my case is large enough that they are all internal. I did run out of SATA ports and had to get a PCI card for some of them. I have a JBOD of about 60TB across two 6Tbs, three 8TBs, and two 14TBs with a separate 2 TB for my LPRs and Sky Cams.

For a while I used a WD Black external HDD via USB3.0 for my LPR footage.