Job site IP camera

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi.

Long time follower of this forum, I helped me greatly with my own IP camera setup.
I've been running a Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IWS from Aliexpress for more then a year now. It's installed on a exterior wall above the garage door facing the driveway and front door.
Image quality during the day is fine, at night not that amazing but that has probably a lot to do with not using the correct settings and high expectations.
Also the dome design causes raindrops to dry on the dome as well as the IR-LED's to reflect in the dome.
Ah well, at least this design looks a bit less obtrusive. ;)

Now my brother is currently rebuilding his new home and he was excited about my Hikvision.
He thought is would be a good idea to install a camera outside his house to monitor the build in case some stuff gets stolen, people dump stuff in his container etc.
Problem is; there is no network available, only power.
So I was thinking to get a IP camera with internal SD-slot.
Preferably a bullet style camera because of previous mentioned reasons.
Mount it somewhere and in case something has happened; get the SD-card out to see the footage.
Because there's no network; I just use a router while installing it and then remove the router; leaving the camera on it's own.

So I was browsing around looking for a Hikvision bullet camera with internal SD-slot.
Problem is; there aren't any. And if there are; they're expensive ($120+).
The only camera's I can find on Ebay/Aliexpress from a reputable brand are the Dahua IPC-HFW1320S-W and the old
Hikvision DS-2CD2020F-IW.
They are both priced about the same but the Dahua is much newer. But I have no experience with Dahua camera's.
There's also the Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I(W) but I can't find that one anywhere (on Aliexpress it's replaced by the DS-2C203)

Does anyone have good suggestions about this situation? Or recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-2CD2020F-IW is not old and is probably the only WR region Hikvision camera bullet with SD card slot and wifi that you are going to be able to get. Sure there is the DS-2CD2032F-IW but they usually are CH. It hasn't been replaced by DS-2CD2035F-IW either, that's a usual Aliexpress/eBay lie to sell Chinese domestic market 2xx5 cameras.

If you already have DS-2CD2132F-IWS then I would stick with DS-2CD2020F-IW. If you end up getting an NVR later then it's better that your cameras are

DS-2CD2020F-IW picture is as good as your current DS-2CD2132F-IWS. This tech isn't like iPhones or Samsung phones, the technology doesn't move on that quick and reliability is more important. I've still got plenty of DS-2CD2032-I cameras. There are better ones out but I won't replace them for a good few years yet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Use a turret design..better in every way than a bullet.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DS-2CD2020F-IW is not old and is probably the only WR region Hikvision camera bullet with SD card slot and wifi that you are going to be able to get. Sure there is the DS-2CD2032F-IW but they usually are CH. It hasn't been replaced by DS-2CD2035F-IW either, that's a usual Aliexpress/eBay lie to sell Chinese domestic market 2xx5 cameras.
Most Hikvision camera's on Aliexpress are Multi-language firmware. If it supports Dutch/English; I'm fine with that.
My own DS-2CD2132F-IWS has that kind of firmware.

The DS-2CD2020F-IW may be not that old; but the fact that it's barely available says something too. Plus the less impressive spec-sheet.
The DS-2CD2032F-IW looks the most interesting (bullet style, SD-card, current specs etc.) but I can't find it anywhere.
It's either $120+ or it's mentioned like "DS-2CD2035F replaces DS-2CD2032F-IW" kinda listing...
If you already have DS-2CD2132F-IWS then I would stick with DS-2CD2020F-IW. If you end up getting an NVR later then it's better that your cameras are

DS-2CD2020F-IW picture is as good as your current DS-2CD2132F-IWS. This tech isn't like iPhones or Samsung phones, the technology doesn't move on that quick and reliability is more important. I've still got plenty of DS-2CD2032-I cameras. There are better ones out but I won't replace them for a good few years yet.
We have no plans to use these camera's in the same household or buying a NVR. My dome camera is working fine on it's own (with 64GB card inside) and the plan was to get a similar camera for my brother to do the same.
Use a turret design..better in every way than a bullet.
Because of the dome glass that reflects the IR-LED's and the rain drops right?
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm facing with my own dome camera...
Agreed, if you do that I think the Dahua model with SD card is 4431EM. Check that out.
I can find the IPC-HDW4421EM-AS, not the IPC-HDW4431EM-AS. Also $120+
Why not use a Game Camera?
That crossed my mind too, but a good Game Camera is as expensive (or more expensive) as the IP-camera's I'm looking at ($60-90 range).
Also no way adjusting settings and stuff like that.

Also, when the rebuilding is complete he might just use the IP-camera like I do and connect it to his new network.
If not; I could use it myself or sell it.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you either need to pay a little more than you want for the DS-2CD2032F-IW you want or pay a little less and not get "current specs" whatever that means. I guess you mean 2032 is 3MP and 2020 is 2MP as that's the main difference. In which case you need to do more research. The 2020 is better at night for example.

What's the best camera for under $90 with wifi and sd-card and "current specs"?

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So you either need to pay a little more than you want for the DS-2CD2032F-IW you want or pay a little less and not get "current specs" whatever that means. I guess you mean 2032 is 3MP and 2020 is 2MP as that's the main difference. In which case you need to do more research. The 2020 is better at night for example.
Is it? That would be a nice reason to go with the 2020.
What's the best camera for under $90 with wifi and sd-card and "current specs"?
From what I can find; the Dahua IPC-HFW1320S-W.

I'm mostly interested in Hikvision because of my experience with them; I know their interface and their smartphone app. I don't know these from Dahua.
But the Dahua looks the most interesting from all the camera's I can find...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The difference isn't huge but the 2020 is slightly better yet, it's not magic so you can notice side-by-side but won't be wow! Well I'm basing that off experience with the 2120 dome.

Do you really need the wireless bit? I'm sure DS-2CD2020F-I is easier to find.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The difference isn't huge but the 2020 is slightly better yet, it's not magic so you can notice side-by-side but won't be wow! Well I'm basing that off experience with the 2120 dome.
Ah so. Does make sense though; less pixels usually equals better image when dark.
Do you really need the wireless bit? I'm sure DS-2CD2020F-I is easier to find.
Not necessarily but could be usefull. The Dahua is much easier to find/more listings on AE.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think I found another interesting camera. The Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I. Pretty much the same as the DS-2CD2032F-IW but without Wifi. Wifi is not really needed since there won't be any network available anyway...

I see prices on Aliexpress for about $70-80 which is reasonable.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We decided to order the above camera (DS-2CD2032F-I) with a 64GB Micro SD-card and this "passive POE-injector" to feed power over ethernet to the camera. (So the 12V power supply won't be outside in the rain).

One question remains though; If I install the camera at his house and use a temporary router to install/setup the camera and than remove the router; camera should be okay right?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
kinda, they dont keep time very well all by them selves and I dont know how long it can go w/out power before it looses its time entirely and needs one from a network source.

on a standalone single camera like this, I'd be hesitant to trust its timestamp.

you dont need a router, if you have a laptop with a GigE port just plug the laptop directly into the PoE injector, configure it for same network settings and connect.. if your laptop has a 100Mbit Fast Ethernet port, you need a cross over cable/adapter or switch.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
kinda, they dont keep time very well all by them selves and I dont know how long it can go w/out power before it looses its time entirely and needs one from a network source.
on a standalone single camera like this, I'd be hesitant to trust its timestamp.
Hmm, well; time isn't thé most important thing. Just capture the person/action that's going on.
you dont need a router, if you have a laptop with a GigE port just plug the laptop directly into the PoE injector, configure it for same network settings and connect.. if your laptop has a 100Mbit Fast Ethernet port, you need a cross over cable/adapter or switch.
Hmm, that would be a lot easier. My laptop has a Gigabit-port. How come it's different for Gigabit and Fast Ethernet ports?
And is there a tutorial flooting around somewhere how to do that? Because I don't completely understand what to do.
(Sorry for so many questions)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
GigE adapters support auto-cross over, they detect when its needed and accommodate plugging two devices in directly.. as long as one port is GigE you can connect 2 devices directly together.. if they are both FastEthernet then you have to have a cable that has RX/TX on one end and TX/RX on the other and is called a crossover cable.. for a long time crossover cables could be found in any self respecting networking geeks hands, but when GigE came out it removed the need that pesky little cable.

You want a tutorial for configuring your network adapter manually? use google.. I think the default IP of your Hik is 192.0.0.64, so you'll put your laptop to like 192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0 with no gateway and then put 192.0.0.64 into your browser window to connect.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
if they are both FastEthernet then you have to have a cable that has RX/TX on one end and TX/RX on the other and is called a crossover cable..
FE adaptors generally have Auto MDI-X too.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I took a while since I started looking, but today the Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I was delivered.
The 64GB card and POE-splitter-set was delivered before.
No I need to find a 12V power-supply. Currently the camera isn't much use:rolleyes:...

Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I by Iemand91, on Flickr

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are passive splitters - what length of Ethernet cable do you plan?
Active splitters (802.3af standard) will allow up to 100m.
Passive splitters may just be a few meters, depending on the Ethernet cable gauge.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Those are passive splitters - what length of Ethernet cable do you plan?
Active splitters (802.3af standard) will allow up to 100m.
Passive splitters may just be a few meters, depending on the Ethernet cable gauge.
Only a few meters at most. Just so the power supply is indoors and so we don't have to route 2 cables.