Job site IP camera

hiklicker

n3wb
Reaction score
As someone who has a fair amount of experience with dealing with incidents of vandalism, littering, theft, and the subsequent authorities' responses thereafter, I'd like to make an alternate recommendation.

The problem with catching @ssholes vandalizing and stealing your stuff is unless you're actively monitoring it and are either able to go out yourself or have the cops there in a couple of minutes, after the fact the best you'll usually get is a police report number and that'll be the end of it. Faces are rarely visible, and if they are it's not like the cops have a picture database they can run them through. Assuming the suspect is "known to police" they might be able to nab him but that's not usually the case, and if it's something as simple as dumping in your bin the cops will rarely waste their time on it.

Still install the camera, but if you have power available also install a motion activated light. It doesn't need to be expensive, get a cheap one and install some powerful LED floods in it. At night it will be a bigger deterrent along with the camera than just the camera alone, because thieves and crooks hate being seen when doing their dirty work. It won't stop a determined thief but the average riff raff hates them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We haven't installed the camera yet. I guess he isn't that insisted to have a camera at the site will rebuilding the house.

But some days ago we were talking about conduits, ethernet locations, power etc. etc. in and outside the house. He then kinda suprised me by saying he thinks about having 2 camera's; one on each side of the house.

I wish he told me earlier because this made me think about a different solution.
Instead of having 2 individual camera's with SD-cards inside; two (cheaper) camera's and a cheap NVR.

Two possibilities; number #1:
- 2 DS-2CD2032F-I camera's.
- 2 64GB SD-cards
- Either 2 passive POE-injector sets (pictured above) with 2 12V power supplies
or a POE-switch (which cost about 3 times as much as a non-POE switch)

The DS-2CD2032F-I is the only Hikvision camera I could find that has SD-card storage and isn't a dome-type.
So I'll have to get another one of those with another 64GB card.
And use 1 on the 2 methods of powering both camera's.

Number #2:
- Sell the unused DS-2CD2032F-I camera.
- 2 DS-2CD2335-I (Turret, EXIR)
- cheap Hikvision NVR like the DS-7104N-SN.
- Some hard drive; a 1TB WD Purple drive is about $65 here.

This second combination is about $10 more expensive then the first combination when bought from a trusted seller on Aliexpress;
Camera-link: DS-2CD2335-I
NVR-link: DS-7104N-SN

This has the added benefit of better image quality (people on this forum like the EXIR/Turret the most out of the Hikvision camera's), MUCH more storage space and better security (using a 1TB drive with the 2 camera's gives the opportunity to record 24/7 (with highlighted events?) instead of recording only when motion is detected.

What do you guys think of this?

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I notice the photo in the DS-2CD2335-I link you have has the "Hikvision" logo intentionally blurred out. I'm not sure if they mean they're selling an unbranded version, or something else but I suspect they are not showing a photo of the actual product they sell. Which makes me wonder what they actually sell.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
has the "Hikvision" logo intentionally blurred out.
It's very common in on-line sales, which Hikvision consider 'grey market' as they don't sell on-line.
The sellers suppress the branding as a tacit agreement with Hikvision to not highlight the brand being sold - even though it's pretty obvious from things like model numbers.
Xinray is a well known on-line Aliexepress store for Hikvision products at good prices.
You will notice that the brand name 'Hikvision' is often only mentioned as a shortened version, for the same reason, does make searching a bit harder.
Last year Hikvision made a determined and fairly successful effort to close down on-line resellers on Aliexpress, but they just popped up again.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, it's became much harder to find Hikvision camera's on Aliexpress.

But does anyone have an idea/opinion about my proposel?