Junction box - do you need coax seal with it?

freshjs_23

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick question... I have mounted junction boxes for all my cameras but wanted to get some opinions to see if Coax Seal is also neccessary to use with the junction boxes. Or will the connectors be fine without Coax Seal since they are in the junction box? I did use dieletctric grease in each one of the female RJ45 connections.

Thanks!

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
It depends on the junction box and if it is sealed or not, and if the wire entries to the box are sealed or not. If the box and all openings are not sealed, then definitely use the coax seal.

Most j boxes are not sealed because they're made for indoor use OR the installer has not used the proper CGBs, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on the junction box and if it is sealed or not, and if the wire entries to the box are sealed or not. If the box and all openings are not sealed, then definitely use the coax seal.

Most j boxes are not sealed because they're made for indoor use OR the installer has not used the proper CGBs, etc.
The connection should be sealed regardless of the junction box used. Junction boxes leak, even a bit of condensation can cause problems.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used silicone stretch tape for my install and stuffed it all into a wall mount / junction box.

No reason why not do all 3 of the following
1) Di-electric gel
2) coax seal or silicone stretch tape
3) junction box + silicone caulk "n" bead on the back of the box

It is only a little extra work and $ for a significant reduction in risk - especially with issues of humidity and condensation which fenderman points out.

freshjs_23

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200 @fenderman @J Sigmo ... preciate the info on your expertise/experiences. I went ahead and wrapped them all with coax seal as well as using dieelectric grease and a junction box. It might be over kill but I'd rather not have to replace any cameras due to water/moisture.