Junk security system???

Stewmj

n3wb
Reaction score
We recently had a new dvddvr security camera system put into our business. We know nothing about security systems but the system seemed fine. We’ve never had any issues at the business with the cameras. Remotely we use guardian expert to check in on the business. There are 4 of us and we all use the same app and the same admin login we were given. About 1 to 3 times a day while trying to access cameras the app will say connection failed and we can no longer access the cameras. The cameras are still recording and working onsite, just not through the app. The only way to fix this is to reset the dvr at the business. Then we are able to stream the cameras again. The man who installed this insists it’s not his equipment but the internet service provider. Any insight on what should be our next step to fixing this issue? Is this a common problem?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Shame on your installer/vendor...exceptional service requires going the extra mile for the customer, and this guy gets a failing grade. My hunch is that the equipment is failing and not the ISP, although I’m at a loss to suggest a solution.

Stewmj

n3wb
Reaction score
Ya have no idea. It’s a dvr dvs 8 channel. Is that a cheap brand?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ya have no idea. It’s a dvr dvs 8 channel. Is that a cheap brand?
Welcome Stewmj

Not certain what brand that is, if you'd like there's a lot of great information being shared here.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are using Guardian Expert to watch your cameras on your phones, your system is a HikVision based dvr or nvr, maybe HikVision cameras too. These systems are good and usually very reliable. If I had to guess, I would say that your issues may be with your ISP or it could be an intermittent issue with your cellular service at the particular time that you are trying to stream video. If your phone is on the same network as your camera system you may run into problems streaming. Also, if your recorder is on a broadband service such as Comcast, you may see their service go out from time to time. Our service streams video constantly from remote locations. Those locations that are using comcast do have intermittent drops in their service, particularly their upload side. We do not see this issue on recorders that are on a fiber service. @Stewmj